QB Situation

Casey D

While everyone can rant and rave about dumping Bledsoe, it seems pretty clear cut how the QB situation will work out.

First, Bledsoe is a classy vet and the Bills are a classy organization. Accordingly, they will not do what a weak organization like Cincinnati did and simply tell Bledsoe to grab some pine while Losman loses winnable games early in 2005. That would be throwing away games and the whole team would be upset because the organization is not doing its best to win now. Remember, guys like Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Williams(assuming he's back), Fletcher, Adams are at their peak, and perhaps starting downhill shortly. These guys can't be thinking about 2006 or 2007, especially when they just finished up 9-3.

Second, notwithstanding fan and media criticism, the team loves Bledsoe. He is their guy. You just yank the job from him, and you will not like what you will see.

So, what happens. Either fate will step in or it will follow the Henry/McGahee approach. Coming into 2005, there will be very high expectations for this team. Bledsoe will start. One of three things will happen. One is the team plays well right out of the box, goes 12-4 or something, goes to the playoffs and Losman gets another year to be tutored and get spot duty. Second, Bledsoe could get some injury, like Maddox, and Losman gets the chance to start. If he plays as good or better than Bledsoe, he keeps playing even when Bledsoe gets well. Third, the team stumbles out of the box, and the coaches feel the team needs a spark and starts Losman, say in game 4 or 5. Again, if he sparks the team as McGahee did, he keeps playing.

Under either scenario 2 or 3, the vets will not have any animosity towards Losman for getting a job handed to him. And if he plays well, they will love him. The foregoing scenarios are the options(no we are not going to get Kurt Warner or some other washed up vet like Mark Brunell, who everyone wanted a year ago), as it is the way a classy organization like the Bills will do things, and it is the samrt way to go. So you can scream about Bledsoe if it is therapeutic for you, but I am confident this is what will happen...CD

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While everyone can rant and rave about dumping Bledsoe, it seems pretty clear cut how the QB situation will work out.

First, Bledsoe is a classy vet and the Bills are a classy organization.  Accordingly, they will not do what a weak organization like Cincinnati did and simply tell Bledsoe to grab some pine while Losman loses winnable games early in 2005.  That would be throwing away games and the whole team would be upset because the organization is not doing its best to win now.  Remember, guys like Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Williams(assuming he's back), Fletcher, Adams are at their peak, and perhaps starting downhill shortly.  These guys can't be thinking about 2006 or 2007, especially when they just finished up 9-3.

Second, notwithstanding fan and media criticism, the team loves Bledsoe.  He is their guy.  You just yank the job from him, and you will not like what you will see.

So, what happens. Either fate will step in or it will follow the Henry/McGahee approach.  Coming into 2005, there will be very high expectations for this team.  Bledsoe will start.  One of three things will happen.  One is the team plays well right out of the box, goes 12-4 or something, goes to the playoffs and Losman gets another year to be tutored and get spot duty.  Second, Bledsoe could get some injury, like Maddox, and Losman gets the chance to start.  If he plays as good or better than Bledsoe, he keeps playing even when Bledsoe gets well.  Third, the team stumbles out of the box, and the coaches feel the team needs a spark and starts Losman, say in game 4 or 5.  Again, if he sparks the team as McGahee did, he keeps playing.

Under either scenario 2 or 3, the vets will not have any animosity towards Losman for getting a job handed to him.  And if he plays well, they will love him.  The foregoing scenarios are the options(no we are not going to get Kurt Warner or some other washed up vet like Mark Brunell, who everyone wanted a year ago), as it is the way a classy organization like the Bills will do things, and it is the samrt way to go.  So you can scream about Bledsoe if it is therapeutic for you, but I am confident this is what will happen...CD

192069[/snapback]

Great post. I agree with a lot of what you said. I've been saying all along that it should be a open competition between the two of them next year. Bringing JP Losman in during the season if Drew falters or gets injured makes a lot of sense.

JP needs to start next year . he will win us just as many games as drew and give us just as good a chance to make playoff as drew . he was a first round draft pick and needs to play . had drew played as good as the other drew in the west i would say our drew should start next year. JP is the future and its time for a change .

JP needs to start next year . he will win us just as many games as drew  and give us just as good a chance to make playoff as drew . he was a first round draft pick and needs to play . had drew played as good as the other drew in the west i would say our drew should start next year. JP is the future and its time for a change .

192073[/snapback]

I understand how you feel, but you are not running the team and it will not happen that way...CD

I understand how you feel, but you are not running the team and it will not happen that way...CD

192076[/snapback]

Neither are you, Mr. Donahoe! Drew Bledsoe is liked by the players. He is a GREAT guy off the field. However, he is a proven loser on the field. While you make a good case for your senario, I hope you are wrong. Drew Bledsoe cannot throw a short touch pass, cannot get out of his own way in the pocket and has ZERO field Generalship. The players say he is their guy, but I think a lot of that is just "Team" pandering. Just like Willis saying in a post season interview that he is Travis' backup.... RIIIIIGGGGHHHHTTT!

This team is an average team at best as long as Drew is at the helm. While constant change is bad... It's time!

First, Bledsoe is a classy vet and the Bills are a classy organization.  Accordingly, they will not do what a weak organization like Cincinnati did and simply tell Bledsoe to grab some pine while Losman loses winnable games early in 2005.  That would be throwing away games and the whole team would be upset because the organization is not doing its best to win now.  Remember, guys like Spikes, Milloy, Vincent, Williams(assuming he's back), Fletcher, Adams are at their peak, and perhaps starting downhill shortly.  These guys can't be thinking about 2006 or 2007, especially when they just finished up 9-3.

Second, notwithstanding fan and media criticism, the team loves Bledsoe.  He is their guy.  You just yank the job from him, and you will not like what you will see.

So, what happens. Either fate will step in or it will follow the Henry/McGahee approach.  Coming into 2005, there will be very high expectations for this team.  Bledsoe will start.  One of three things will happen.  One is the team plays well right out of the box, goes 12-4 or something, goes to the playoffs and Losman gets another year to be tutored and get spot duty.  Second, Bledsoe could get some injury, like Maddox, and Losman gets the chance to start.  If he plays as good or better than Bledsoe, he keeps playing even when Bledsoe gets well.  Third, the team stumbles out of the box, and the coaches feel the team needs a spark and starts Losman, say in game 4 or 5.  Again, if he sparks the team as McGahee did, he keeps playing.

Under either scenario 2 or 3, the vets will not have any animosity towards Losman for getting a job handed to him.  And if he plays well, they will love him.  The foregoing scenarios are the options(no we are not going to get Kurt Warner or some other washed up vet like Mark Brunell, who everyone wanted a year ago), as it is the way a classy organization like the Bills will do things, and it is the samrt way to go.  So you can scream about Bledsoe if it is therapeutic for you, but I am confident this is what will happen...CD

192069[/snapback]

Fourth scenario - Mularkey allows JP to compete in minicamps and preseason and JP outplays Bledsoe. There is a chance this could happen - JP gets a full off-season with the coaches and the coaches don't have to focus on implementing a new playbook. Last year, Bledsoe needed more minicamp and preseason reps to learn the playbook, limiting JP's opportunities. I think JP has an opening this offseason, if he is willing to do the work.

Great post. I agree with a lot of what you said. I've been saying all along that it should be a open competition between the two of them next year. Bringing JP Losman in during the season if Drew falters or gets injured makes a lot of sense.

192070[/snapback]

An open competition was my original thinking, too. But the more I think about it, the more that would be a slap in Drew's face and the wrong thing to do. Mularkey didn't earn the respect of his players by doing what the fans wanted. He's smart enough to not do something stupid to lose his players. In addition, MM is a classy individual that will treat another classy individual (Drew) with dignity.

Besides, JP isn't quite ready yet. He's a great talent, but I still think he needs more time. The broken leg set him back too far. Let's hope something like that doesn't happen again in August.

I agree with CD...I think scenarios 2 & 3 would be the only chances that Losman gets the job.

This is going to be a long ass offseason having to read 2 million "Drew sucks and should be benched" threads. How about we give it a rest for a while and see what happens when camp opens. I trust the coaches to have an open competition going into camp and starting the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win next year.

"First, Bledsoe is a classy vet and the Bills are a classy organization."

I think that the "Classy organization" died with the comming of Tom Donohoe.

He talks class but he is a cold SOB. ;) Not that that's a bad thing.

Think back to his first season.

That being said, if there is a way to bounce Drew and save the cap room, then do it. If not play him two games then tell him to grab the pine. The idea behind the two games is to make JD hungrier.

"First, Bledsoe is a classy vet and the Bills are a classy organization." 

I think that the "Classy organization" died with the comming of Tom Donohoe.

He talks class but he is a cold SOB.  ;) Not that that's a bad thing.

Think back to his first season.

That being said, if there is a way to bounce Drew and save the cap room, then do it.  If not play him two games then tell him to grab the pine. The idea behind the two games is to make JD hungrier.

192117[/snapback]

ok with me

the team loves Bledsoe.  He is their guy.  You just yank the job from him, and you will not like what you will see.

192069[/snapback]

;)

AVP broke his hand trying to keep TKO from ripping Drew's head off in 2003.

This is going to be a long ass offseason having to read 2 million "Drew sucks and should be benched" threads. How about we give it a rest for a while and see what happens when camp opens. I trust the coaches to have an open competition going into camp and starting the quarterback that gives us the best chance to win next year.

192107[/snapback]

We might as well close down the whole message board with that thinking.

Either we can close it down or you can go away until mini camp...which would be easier?

This board is here for people to state there opinions and believes (however much you may disagree with them), please allow them there right to do so.

Either we can close it down or you can go away until mini camp...which would be easier?

This board is here for people to state there opinions and believes (however much you may disagree with them), please allow them there right to do so.

192134[/snapback]

be careful or you will get a time out

Great post CD. Posters can be as angry as they wish, but there is no way that MM is going to hand this team to a rookie, unless JP goes to camp and plays like Favre.

First, he has to prove that he is even able to play at all in the NFL, or at least one would think.  ;)

192140[/snapback]

don't say no way . he is not getting paid big dollars to sit on his ass

192134[/snapback]

I never said that people couldn't post their opinion. I just posted one of my own so if you didn't like it then why don't you keep it to yourself. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Oh and by the way, your sentence should say "opinions and beliefs". ;)