QB Situation

Casey D

First, he has to prove that he is even able to play at all in the NFL, or at least one would think.  ;)

192140[/snapback]

It seems to me the only way to really prove you can play in the NFL is to do exactly that. I am not a Bledsoe Basher, but in all honesty have lost confidence in his ability. Even during the 6 game streak, it was not Bledsoe ripping it up leading us to victory. He was at best a servicable quarterback. The coaching staff IOM did a good job of creating an offense to work around his weaknesses. Perhaps they could do the same with Losman. Either way you go, there are risks, but if JP is the future, lets move toward it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me the only way to really prove you can play in the NFL is to do exactly that.  I am not a Bledsoe Basher, but in all honesty have lost confidence in his ability.  Even during the 6 game streak, it was not Bledsoe ripping it up leading us to victory.  He was at best a servicable quarterback.  The coaching staff IOM did a good job of creating an offense to work around his weaknesses.  Perhaps they could do the same with Losman.  Either way you go, there are risks, but if JP is the future, lets move toward it.

192394[/snapback]

right on

He had a 300 yard game last year against Jax.

He came close a couple more times last year and this year.

In 2002 he had 400 yard games against Min, Oak

and 300 against Chi, NE (2X), Mia

So in 3 years he has had 7 300+ games.  Other than Mannings and Culpepper who else has had that many in 3 years?  You might be surprised at how few do.

Quick edit:

Brady has had 7 and Favre has had 9 over that period.  Again facts folks.

Another edit.  Mcnabb has had 7, Vick had only 1.

192331[/snapback]

In the first half of '02 Bledsoe was on fire. After that, it gets dicier. So we eliminate the 2002 stats, and he has one 300 yard game in the past 2 years.

If we still had the Bledsoe of '02, we would have been fighting with NE for the division title.

Actually, as long as he's sitting on his ass, he won't get big dollars.  JP's contract is incentive-laden.  His overall base contract is $7.7M over five years, with incentives making it worth as much as $24M.  You don't reach incentives by sitting on your ass.  He'll be making $300K in base salary, as opposed to the  $3.3M that Bledsoe would be for doing the same.

192384[/snapback]

what was his signing b.???????

In the first half of '02 Bledsoe was on fire.  After that, it gets dicier.  So we eliminate the 2002 stats, and he has one 300 yard game in the past 2 years.

If we still had the Bledsoe of '02, we would have been fighting with NE for the division title.

192409[/snapback]

You have a lot of excuses to ignore facts. Explain Vick then. 300 or 400 yard games don't win it for you.

Culpepper has had 6 alone this year. Tell me again how great Minn is? This is a team game, and there is more than one person responsible.

It seems to me the only way to really prove you can play in the NFL is to do exactly that.  I am not a Bledsoe Basher, but in all honesty have lost confidence in his ability.  Even during the 6 game streak, it was not Bledsoe ripping it up leading us to victory.  He was at best a servicable quarterback.  The coaching staff IOM did a good job of creating an offense to work around his weaknesses.  Perhaps they could do the same with Losman.  Either way you go, there are risks, but if JP is the future, lets move toward it.

192394[/snapback]

"perhaps they could do the same with Losman" ??? I am hearing a lot of this line of reasoning, that we may not know if Losman is any good but we know Drew isn't good enough so lets take a chance on JP. That might be accurate as far what we as fans know. I don't think it is true at all though when it comes to the coaches. They have seen these guys play and play and play. JP isn't invisible nor his abilities a great mystery to them. I think they know exactly what we have and what we don't at this point with regard to both quarterbacks. Based on that, they gave the nod to Drew and stuck with him.

There is another way a QB can prove that he should start besides actually starting. He simply outplays the other guy in practice. That is all he has to do.

I have no doubt considering how quickly the coaches gave McGahee the green light when healthy that they will pull Drew when the time is right too. Wyche and Clements know what they are doing. The organization is very fortunate to have them. The Bills know winning is the bottom line and if JP gives us a better chance, he will be in. If however Bledsoe is starter for 2005, don't be foolish enough to think it is because he is a good guy. Football is a business and Donahoe knows this.

You have a lot of excuses to ignore facts.  Explain Vick then.  300 or 400 yard games don't win it for you. 

Culpepper has had 6 alone this year.  Tell me again how great Minn is? This is a team game, and there is more than one person responsible.

192420[/snapback]

Vick is a ridiculous example. He still wins games for his team, he just does it with his feet more than his arm. Minnesota was looking pretty unstoppable before the Moss injury. Call these excuses if you want, I am just telling you I think these guys can win games for their teams. What Bledsoe can do is not lose them, when he is on his mark. The one game he truly won for us this year was the Miami one, and that's not saying much. I don't hate the guy, but I don't think he makes much of a positive difference for the football team.

There is another way a QB can prove that he should start besides actually starting.  He simply outplays the other guy in practice.  That is all he has to do.

192421[/snapback]

It's not that simple this time of year. It's not like they get an equal share of snaps with the starters in practice every week.

I believe J.P. needed, and still needs, to learn, on his own. But I think he oughta get a fair shake this summer. We paid a high price for him and he knows it. It's fair to expect some returns in the near future.

Vick is a ridiculous example.  He still wins games for his team, he just does it with his feet more than his arm.  Minnesota was looking pretty unstoppable before the Moss injury.  Call these excuses if you want, I am just telling you I think these guys can win games for their teams.  What Bledsoe can do is not lose them, when he is on his mark.  The one game he truly won for us this year was the Miami one, and that's not saying much.  I don't hate the guy, but I don't think he makes much of a positive difference for the football team.

192435[/snapback]

What was our record and what was Minns record again? Just checking.

And how many ST and defensive points did this team score?  Also checking.

192446[/snapback]

And Volek who is on Tenny has a decent D, decent ST, had 3 games over 300 yards (2 over 400). He was 0-3 in those games.

They have WR's, a decent RB. Tenny had no reason to lose, yet they did. The QB and decent players don't make for a wwinning season.

And Volek who is on Tenny has a decent D, decent ST, had 3 games over 300 yards (2 over 400).  He was 0-3 in those games. 

They have WR's, a decent RB.  Tenny had no reason to lose, yet they did.  The QB and decent players don't make for a wwinning season.

192452[/snapback]

I think their D was less than decent against the pass but they definitely did underachieve.

I still don't know how that excuses Bledsoe for not rising to the occasion, but I know as well as we all do that a QB cannot get it done alone.

I think their D was less than decent against the pass but they definitely did underachieve.

I still don't know how that excuses Bledsoe for not rising to the occasion, but I know as well as we all do that a QB cannot get it done alone.

192464[/snapback]

It doesn't. I am not making excuses for Bledsoe. But I do blame the coaches for a large part of the situation. Bledsoe has shown when given time he can make plays. Not only not losing, but actually winning for you. However, he has shown he needs protection. That means I blame the coaches and Donahoe for not upgrading the left side of that line. You are smoking something if you really believe Jennings is a top 10 LT in this league. He is very average at best, and injured a lot to boot. The LG position has been a swinging gate this year. Teague in my opinion has finally become average at Center. I believe our best chance to win is to give Bledsoe the 5 seconds in the backfield he needs. He can't do it in the 3.5 that they want him to.

He needs a solid TE, who runs correct routes and doesn't setup next to the LBer and get out muscled for balls.

I am not discounting Losman either. If he can come in and win fine. I just didn't see that last year, in preseason or the few times he came in to the game. He looked way over matched and playing in SLO-MO in the first game that we saw him. He has a "LONG" way to go, to be able to perform in this league.

And Volek who is on Tenny has a decent D, decent ST, had 3 games over 300 yards (2 over 400).  He was 0-3 in those games. 

They have WR's, a decent RB.  Tenny had no reason to lose, yet they did.  The QB and decent players don't make for a wwinning season.

192452[/snapback]

Tennessee was riddled with injuries and didn't even dress the full complement a couple of times this season. But don't let that get in the way of your point. :)

Decent D? <shakes head>

Tennessee was riddled with injuries and didn't even dress the full complement a couple of times this season.  But don't let that get in the way of your point.  :)

Decent D?  <shakes head>

192486[/snapback]

Yes. They were a plus 10 on the give take. They only gave up one return for TD this year on ST. Yes they were injured a lot and it showed in 4 or so games at the end of the year were they got destroyed. But take away the few blowouts and the defense was slightly above average. Plus they showed they can get turnovers.

Yes. They were a plus 10 on the give take.  They only gave up one return for TD this year on ST.  Yes they were injured a lot and it showed in 4 or so games at the end of the year were they got destroyed.  But take away the few blowouts and the defense was slightly above average.  Plus they showed they can get turnovers.

192497[/snapback]

Oh, take away the blowouts and the injuries. Perhaps we should petition the NFL to drop the results of the first 4 games as well. :)

Oh, take away the blowouts and the injuries.  Perhaps we should petition the NFL to drop the results of the first 4 games as well.  :)

192501[/snapback]

Oh relax. Tenny except for a few games showed they were decent. Yeah take away our first 4 and our offense looks great. You and I and maybe a few others know different.

The point was a QB who can throw 400 yards doesn't mean you are going to win. Even if you have decent players elsewhere.