What exactly happened to Fitz?

Virgil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how does the arm completely go away?

He was at least close on his deep throws a few years back. Now, it's almost comical

We should blame FItz for the 2 pass interference calls too. He's supposed to read those and under throw the guy.

He would've completed both of those deep balls in the dolphins game, without the corner holding our WR's arm. So that's a moot point.

We should blame FItz for the 2 pass interference calls too. He's supposed to read those and under throw the guy.

He would've completed both of those deep balls in the dolphins game, without the corner holding our WR's arm. So that's a moot point.

I'm not talking about any specific game here. This is just overall Fitz now vs his first year and a half. I don't know if it was posted on this thread or another, but his completion ratio for balls in the air over 20 yards is almost comical

Guys who is Fitz really throwing the ball to, stevie? Maybe buffalo, will get some good receiver, that can catch a ball no matter how far behind them its thrown like garcon?

Nice. Now we have to draft to compensate for an innaccurate QB.

Edited by Marauder24

I have notice that on occassion he drops the down to his left hip before throwing. It's as if he is pulling the ball out of his back pocket. Those passes are always late and inaccurate. Players that don't have a cannon for an arm (Marino, Montana) have to release the ball quickly. I didn't notice him doing that last year. Take a look and see what you think...

I'd have to agree with pretty much all you have to say here. Fitz brings all the intangibles and has a great football knowledge. He just lacks consistency and a big big arm. Well, welcome to the NFL. Everyone seems to say draft a QB to replace him. Like who? Do you want Colt McCoy, J Clausen, Blaine Gabbert, Wheeden or Tannehill playing for us? We would be a lot worse with those guys. No QB in the past three drafts the Bills passed on would make this team much better and quite arguably would have made them worse. Maybe Andy Dalton who has looked good at times, but I've got news folks the Bengals are not going to the SB with Dalton and neither would the Bills. The problem is we want the franchise guy and we could not get Luck, RG3 or Cam Newton. Had Newton dropped the Bills would have taken him. Did you really want Gabbert at 3 instead of Darius?

Fitz is a decent QB ranking in the middle of the pack in the NFL.

He just lacks consistency and a big arm? That's a big part of playing the position, especially when the weather gets bad late in the season.

For the record, the following QB's were drafted in 2011 and 2012 that Buffalo had a reasonable shot to take: Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, and Russell Wilson. I don't expect all to be excellent starters, but if Nix is the top talent evaluator some made him out to be, he'd know which one would be best for his team. He'd also have valued the position more than just signing or re-signing four guys playing on their third NFL franchise.

He just lacks consistency and a big arm? That's a big part of playing the position, especially when the weather gets bad late in the season.

For the record, the following QB's were drafted in 2011 and 2012 that Buffalo had a reasonable shot to take: Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, and Russell Wilson. I don't expect all to be excellent starters, but if Nix is the top talent evaluator some made him out to be, he'd know which one would be best for his team. He'd also have valued the position more than just signing or re-signing four guys playing on their third NFL franchise.

Take tannehill off the list as he was gone

And ponder wasn't it at 3

Locker at 3 would be reckless

Gabberts looking flop

Weeden is ancient all things considered

Anyone after the first round is dumb luck.

It's highly possible not one of those guys is "the long term answer" as much as I'm upset at not having gotten the guy, I also see how we got here. I hope nix gets the last laugh. We've gotta get that guy soon though.

Great point hazed. Again, if the defense was even a quarter of what we hoped for and not dead last in about every category, we'd have a winning record, in the hint for not only the playoffs but the division and we'd all be happy with Fitz' play so far. As it stands he will again break Kelly's passing records this year. He already got the yardage last year Didnt he?

That's great! Maybe next time the game comes down to Fitz driving the team down the field for the go ahead score, he can just spout off his great stats to the opposing defense and they'll just let him walk in the endzone. Because he's having a Kelly-like year.

It almost seems that you're upset that more than one game this year has come down to the offense needing to score to win. Blaming the defense is appropriate when the offense has no chance to win. But the Titans and Patriots games came down to Fitz on the final drives. The Saints won the Super Bowl in 2009 with the 25th ranked defense. And the Patriots are currently ranked lower than Buffalo in total defense currently, yet have a much better record.

To all the fans bashing Fitz...just like Buddy Nix himself stated...If they had put a rookie in the lineup the last 3 years he would have literally gotten killed. It's also is worrisome to think what some rookie will look like behind the current line in 2013.

Fitz has some great survivability traits that few experienced QB's possess. Those are, he can usually get the ball to the open receiver in 3 seconds or under. He has some amazing running ability and very much like Mike Vick-esque so when flushed from the pocket he can make yardage running. That quick passing ability plus the escape ability make that O line look so much better then it is, or was.

Fitz has never been anything more then a journeyman back up QB that can win games if given the proper offense around him to support him, kinda like Alex Smith in SF.

The problems I see are HC Chan Gailey trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear in forcing that perennial backup QB to try and become Tom Brady. The last 3 years Gailey sets up his offense like he has Brady behind center, like he has that Patriot O line and receiver corps. He doesn't have those support players that Brady has, so Fitz is basically set up to fail!

What Gailey has had is a patchwork O line, one decent top 20 WR out of 6, and one of those is also a back up QB. A sort of decent TE that Gailey rarely uses as the primary receiver despite the fact that, that TE drops fewer balls then any other receiver on the team, and is a huge target at 6'7''.

The Bills could easily emulate the Ravens, 49ers, Texans by making the Bills a dominate run first to support the QB as they now have a pretty decent line with Hairston at RT Glenn at LT rather then forcing the QB to try and shoulder the game mostly by himself. Even this year when Gailey has been running much more often he still has Fitz throw way more then he should. Setting the tempo with the passing game when he should be utilizing Fred Jackson and Spiller much more then he has been. Gailey himself even stated he should be giving his two RB's 40 touches a game, he hasn't yet accomplished that.

2012 stats 324 passing attempts vs 273 rushing attempts. Not a huge disparity like the previous 2 years but when the Bills are 6th in the league in rushing,and 24th in passing they clearly should be relying on the run game more then the passing game.

Lastly, the most atrocious weakness I've noticed from this team is when they need 2 yards for a first down and try to run by utilizing an elephant formation with multiple TE's in a closed set. They get stuffed and pushed back... :blink:

As big as this line is they should be dominating that line in every aspect. Its almost shameful the Bills can't get a first down on 3rd and short by running.

Glenn 6'5'' 343

Levitre 6'2'' 305

Wood 6'4'' 310

Urbik 6'5'' 324

Hairston 6'6'' 330

The Bills need more tackles converted to blocking tight ends or something. A 260lb TE isn't going to move a 300lb+ DE or DT. But then the Bills haven't been very committed to running the ball under Gailey.

Fitz seems to be much better and more accurate the last 4 games, and the numbers bear it out...throws to the sideline look crisp, and the ball is getting there in stride for the most part...there has been a very noticeable difference in his throws from the beginning of the season...not sure whether he is finally getting his mechanics down or what...

Over the last four games he has been 96 of 140(68.6% completions) for 969 yards, 5 TDs and 2 INTs, good for a 94.0 QB rating...

His overall rating for the year is pretty much the same as Phillip Rivers, Joe Flacco and Tony Romo, and ahead of Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler, so to say he has simply sucked would not necessarily be accurate...

My problems with Fitz lie in his inconsistency and his abiity to make the big throw when he needs it(ie, the end of the game, etc). Sometimes he looks as good as anyone in the NFL, other times he looks as bad...I will admit he has started looking a lot better recently tho...

You made some good points, but talking about his numbers compared to other qbs. Lets face it, the other guys throw the ball down field more than 6 or 7 yards a pop. Fitz numbers are misleading by all account. You will have those numbers as well throwing the ball 4 yards a clip. The guy is hard to watch, and I doubt if any of us want him to fail, but Jesus I can't stand he can win the bad ones but when it count the guy blow it. We have receivers IMO that can get it done, just no one to throw it to them. Teams know we're not goin deep EVER, so how can we know exactly what we have in these guys. Granted David Nelson injury killed us but, Fitz baby arm limit us from knowing anything about these WRS of ours. Imagine if we had a QB that could make all the throws. We would have one of the finest offense in the game. Period!!

so sick of hearing about "garbage time"! take your "garbage time" philosophy and stick it. To complain about garbage time means you know nothing about the game!

Mark Sanchez threw for 301 yards and a touchdown on Thursday night (Thanksgiving) against the Patriots. He also had over 70 percent completion percentage on the night.

Do you feel like he played a good game?

To all the fans bashing Fitz...just like Buddy Nix himself stated...If they had put a rookie in the lineup the last 3 years he would have literally gotten killed. It's also is worrisome to think what some rookie will look like behind the current line in 2013.

Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Washington, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Carolina, Seattle, and San Francisco will start QB's either in their rookie or second NFL season this week. How is it that more than one-third the league can trust a young QB, but the Bills cannot nor could even draft one who was NFL caliber in three drafts?

Edited by BillsVet

Mark Sanchez threw for 301 yards and a touchdown on Thursday night (Thanksgiving) against the Patriots. He also had over 70 percent completion percentage on the night.

Do you feel like he played a good game?

Other than the ridiculous fumble, he played pretty solid. The Pats got three TDs off of really weird fluke plays. Take those away and you have a relatively competitive game. That being said, I wouldn't take Sanchez over Fitz.