[please fix subject]Meachem

NoSaint

So he's officially bumped to the bench in SD - glad we dodged that bullet. That he was a number 1 priority target for us had me worried. Having watched his last few years closely there was obvious potential but also huge red flags.

If I had to go out on a limb, I'm guessing his replacement in the starting lineup likely has to do with trouble in the play book (call it a hunch, based on him having huge issues with it for multiple seasons in New Orleans)

Just thought I'd pass the update as our WRs have been a topic of conversation this last week.

While I agree it is dodging a bullet I think in our system he would have been a much different asset to us. We have TJ developing the long ball (he will grab one in I figure 1/8 times), SJ13 all over, David Nelson on the seam, Donald Jones/Player X running other routes.

Meachem was not the asset we really need, Manningham may have been. A Peerless Price type player is impossible to find.

Meachum sucked. The whole NFL new except for San Diego.

What is crazy is I wanted the Bills to bring Danario Alexendar into camp.

Big strong fast. Injury prone but a great compliment to SJ13.

Danario is the reason why SD finally benched that bum Meachum.

Edited by Why So Serious?

While I agree it is dodging a bullet I think in our system he would have been a much different asset to us. We have TJ developing the long ball (he will grab one in I figure 1/8 times), SJ13 all over, David Nelson on the seam, Donald Jones/Player X running other routes.

Meachem was not the asset we really need, Manningham may have been. A Peerless Price type player is impossible to find.

Meechum is just another example of Buddy's inability to evaluate talent

He was willing to go all in on a turd - but was saved the embarrassment only because he was outbid by his former boss

How was he going "all in" ?. Was there even a bid made by buffalo? I don't remember any reports of an offer being made.

Really think they had the plane waiting for him at the start of FA and he got on without knowing they were in serious talks?

The budget on him wasn't all-in but it wasn't cheap either.

Edited by NoSaint

How was he going "all in" ?. Was there even a bid made by buffalo? I don't remember any reports of an offer being made.

I think Buddy's approach was fine. They thought he was worth only a certain amount, and when SD offered him a big deal, Nix told him he should go to SD.

I think Meacham would have been fine for what we were going to use him for-- running lots of fly patterns. But he's no legit #2.

Really think they had the plane waiting for him at the start of FA and he got on without knowing they were in serious talks?

The budget on him wasn't all-in but it wasn't cheap either.

Not sure. He signed with the chargers so quickly, it seemed talks didn't progress very much. It is obvious they wanted him, but to say they "went all in" on him seems to be an exaggeration.

Nix had the correct plan for Meachem as a complement receiver and not a feature receiver like what they planned for in SD when they signed him. Buddy Nix didn't go "all-in" on Meachem. That would be paying top-end price, they didn't. Meachem I believe would have been a good fit within our spread offense.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Not sure. He signed with the chargers so quickly, it seemed talks didn't progress very much. It is obvious they wanted him, but to say they "went all in" on him seems to be an exaggeration.

Depends. Dollar wise, no. In pursuit of a #2, yes as by the time day one is done the legit ones were inking other deals.

I'd agree its over dramatic but not totally inaccurate

Nix had the correct plan for Meachem as a complement receiver and not a feature receiver like what they planned for in SD when they signed him. Buddy Nix didn't go "all-in" on Meachem. That would be paying top-end price, they didn't.

Let's not get away from reality because SD ended up paying star money to a guy sitting the bench. Nix was going to make Meachem the second highest paid WR on the team, and Ralph should thank AJ Smith for stealing Meachem away.

Let's not get away from reality because SD ended up paying star money to a guy sitting the bench. Nix was going to make Meachem the second highest paid WR on the team, and Ralph should thank AJ Smith for stealing Meachem away.

San Diego used him to replace Vincent Jackson. He is not Vincent Jackson. Very different receivers. Jackson stretches the field, a major complement to the San Diego offense. Meachem is more of a possesion receiver, fits extremely well into the Gailey spread offense scheme, not so much Norv Turners. The problems in San Diego are more of the fact he isn't a true #1 (nobody thought that here when we wanted to sign him) and the system San Diego is running. Meachem could flourish here IMO for who he is . San Diego wants him to be something he isn't.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

San Diego used him to replace Vincent Jackson. He is not Vincent Jackson. Very different receivers. Jackson stretches the field, a major complement to the San Diego offense. Meachem is more of a possesion receiver, fits extremely well into the Gailey spread offense scheme, not so much Norv Turners. The problems in San Diego are more of the fact he isn't a true #1 (nobody thought that here when we wanted to sign him) and the system San Diego is running. Meachem could flourish here IMO for who he is . San Diego wants him to be something he isn't.

Ummm.... No. He's an explosive receiver that excels in play action downfield packages. Runs sloppy routes at times and has occasional drop issues - which is odd for a decent run blocker as typically all 3 tie to effort. He's also struggled mightily with playbooks. Short answer, near the opposite of what you said. I was very surprised he was the target, unless buddy was going off some scouting from his Tennessee days.

Meachum sucked. The whole NFL new except for San Diego.

What is crazy is I wanted the Bills to bring Danario Alexendar into camp.

Big strong fast. Injury prone but a great compliment to SJ13.

Danario is the reason why SD finally benched that bum Meachum.

I don't know if you're aware but the Bills brought Alexander in for a Tuesday tryout about a month ago.

This.

The Bills wanted Meachem as a field stretcher and offered him accordingly. The Chargers were willing to pay him quite a bit more.

Also, there was/is some antagonism going on between the San Diego and Buffalo front offices (AJ Smith and Buddy). We signed Merriman, they signed Roscoe. They came over the top on Meachem. There was another one or two transactions which hinted at this one-upsmanship but I can't remember them at the moment.

Finally, the most popular free agent receivers on this board during free agency were Pierre Garcon, Laurent Robinson, and Mario Manningham. Amazingly all three of those receivers have spent much of this season missing games due to injury.

It's possibly a good thing that the Bills came up empty on free agent receivers this year.