I've been gone awhile ...

I doubt very seriously that you have this correct. It is very easy to end posting privileges.

OK, one positive vote for moderation.

IF someone stepped forward to moderate PPP then you could have different rules here. If I moderate PPP I will handle it like the rest of the board.

Right. Darin mod's this place fine. We dont need no stinkin other mods butt'n their big buttheads over here like Simon, jack or you butterbeernut.:)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, why would this place need a moderator? Personal attacks, except for the occasional "youre an idiot" are few and far between, usually reserved for those who say something truly dumb or like I said, make a BS accusation of racism or something. For most political forums, its fairly calm and respectful.

you're so wrong, personal attacks happen way too often, and maybe it's because people have different definitions of "truly dumb" and "BS accusations"

I doubt very seriously that you have this correct. It is very easy to end posting privileges.

Oh, I have have it very correct.

You see....despite its quirky way of operating, things on PPP hum with a pretty good rythmn. So if a moderator came in here cold and awkwardly busted the place up, in the end it would reflect poorly on the moderator's actions and ability to do his job, not on the people who might have gotten banned.

you're so wrong, personal attacks happen way too often, and maybe it's because people have different definitions of "truly dumb" and "BS accusations"

'youre an idiot' is not a 'personal attack.'

And throwing down the race card without backup is a "BS accusation." Then turning tail and running is cowardly.

Edited by RkFast

Help me understand why, maybe with a couple newly minted moderators, that PPP couldn't be treated like officiating the post season, all year? There's still penalties, but lots of latitude, with more enforcement than currently exists. Warning points or messages have to be a part of that. A lot of good posters have no interest in being ripped apart because their viewpoint doesn't jive with the regulars, and thereby some good discussions never happen. Some vitriol is expected, but it doesn't have to be personal attacks with no moderation or respect.

That's just what we need, newbees showing up and wanting to change things to fit their expectations. PPP is where you can go and tell it like it is without having to worry too much about exactly how you worded something. You want to regulate something that doesn't need a fix. Not too difficult to figure out your motivation.

That's just what we need, newbees showing up and wanting to change things to fit their expectations. PPP is where you can go and tell it like it is without having to worry too much about exactly how you worded something. You want to regulate something that doesn't need a fix. Not too difficult to figure out your motivation.

ya this newbie has been here since 2002, just cuz I don't post a lot doesn't mean jack. I guess I believe you should have to think about what you say before you click Post, you don't. we can disagree

Oh, I have have it very correct.

You see....despite its quirky way of operating, things on PPP hum with a pretty good rythmn. So if a moderator came in here cold and awkwardly busted the place up, in the end it would reflect poorly on the moderator's actions and ability to do his job, not on the people who might have gotten banned.

The reason the question has been asked is because we have been requested, perhaps sarcastically, to moderate this forum. I don't care either way. We/I can or not. As far as reflecting poorly on a moderator...does anyone really care at the end of the day?

ya this newbie has been here since 2002, just cuz I don't post a lot doesn't mean jack. I guess I believe you should have to think about what you say before you click Post, you don't. we can disagree

You hurt my feelings so I am going to run to a mod! What makes you think that things should be moderated and controlled to your desires, Mr Don't Post Alot?

No amount of moderation is going to force anyone to think before they post. Have you been on any other side of the board lately? In PPP, however, there are repercussions for posting stupidly. While some posters seem to revel in the negative attention, most here have been burned once or twice after getting caught talking out of their ass and are more discerning contributors as a result. Nothing fosters better conversation than an environment where there is strong incentive not to post unless you actually know what you're talking about, care about the subject matter and are prepared to back it up if challenged.

I have no problem with the rules on the football side of the board, but in this environment I have no desire to pretend that opinions are neither right or wrong and that all opinions are equal.

The reason the question has been asked is because we have been requested, perhaps sarcastically, to moderate this forum. I don't care either way. We/I can or not. As far as reflecting poorly on a moderator...does anyone really care at the end of the day?

Tom didn't really mean it. He was just being an idiot and a !@#$ing moron.

You hurt my feelings so I am going to run to a mod! What makes you think that things should be moderated and controlled to your desires, Mr Don't Post Alot?

who said anything about running to a mod. If there was such a mod, he/she would make that determination and whether to let it slide, warn the poster, or take other steps.

I answered your 2nd question in my post to Beerball - members with some gray matter who have good things to contribute, don't cuz some Internet tough guys aren't worth it and we lose some great discussions in the process.

Edited by In-A-Gadda-Levitre

No amount of moderation is going to force anyone to think before they post. Have you been on any other side of the board lately? In PPP, however, there are repercussions for posting stupidly. While some posters seem to revel in the negative attention, most here have been burned once or twice after getting caught talking out of their ass and are more discerning contributors as a result. Nothing fosters better conversation than an environment where there is strong incentive not to post unless you actually know what you're talking about, care about the subject matter and are prepared to back it up if challenged.

I have no problem with the rules on the football side of the board, but in this environment I have no desire to pretend that opinions are neither right or wrong and that all opinions are equal.

I'm not violently disagreeing with you, but the problem is that "knowing what you're talking about, caring about the subject matter, and preparing to back it up if challenged" is massively subjective, and if there's deep rooted beliefs on the opposite side, it can get ugly and personal.

no issue with your 2nd point...

What Oxrock said.

Those calling for moderation seem to forget that this sort of thing drove people away from another board. Start moderating here and there will be no more PPP, mostly because the moderators (like the rest of us) have strong opinions about some of the things discussed here and, while I respect the authority they have, I don't think moderators can be unbiased over here. Darin, I think, has done a fine job on this board. He has applied bans when someone becomes so insufferable that it transcends their political opinions (see: Dellapelle John and Duh Big Man).

This place is buried as it is, nobody has an obligation to come back if their wittle feelings get hurt. If you feel like someone's post didn't attack the substance of your argument, ignore it and engage with the posters who did address your actual argument. We've all been insulted on here at one point, and we get over it because we realize that the vitirol comes from disagreement, and it's usually nothing personal. Let this place be.

What Oxrock said.

Those calling for moderation seem to forget that this sort of thing drove people away from another board. Start moderating here and there will be no more PPP, mostly because the moderators (like the rest of us) have strong opinions about some of the things discussed here and, while I respect the authority they have, I don't think moderators can be unbiased over here. Darin, I think, has done a fine job on this board. He has applied bans when someone becomes so insufferable that it transcends their political opinions (see: Dellapelle John and Duh Big Man).

This place is buried as it is, nobody has an obligation to come back if their wittle feelings get hurt. If you feel like someone's post didn't attack the substance of your argument, ignore it and engage with the posters who did address your actual argument. We've all been insulted on here at one point, and we get over it because we realize that the vitirol comes from disagreement, and it's usually nothing personal. Let this place be.

I don't like the guy but he has a point.

Nah, not really.

Just saying that this place really doesnt need moderation. Its a tough place for big boys and girls. But its not a cesspool of filth and hate. Ive seen other political boards that are much much worse.

I just wonder why someone would go on a crusade to change something that they rarely frequent. It makes them suspect, especially when they've set up numerous aliases.

The consensus seems that PPP is a "right wing circle jerk". I admit the amount of right leaning posters is higher, that is without a doubt but if someone really feels as if this part of the site is intolerable, why do they feel the need to post here?

That being said, the lefties are much more intolerable. Even if you share the same political beliefs as DIN or conner, you can't really be as dumb as to actually agree with his relevant points.

Tom didn't really mean it. He was just being an idiot and a !@#$ing moron.

You better get an attorney....abusing intellectual property like that.

I also like Oxrock's take. The 'over the top' posting at times is a significant part of the entertainment of coming here. Take 3rd's 'abuse' of Tom's copyrighted material as an example. It's how individuals like to express themselves in this corner of the internet. I think everyone has a pretty good sense when a line is truly crossed and it's unfortunate when it happens. Most of the time, however, it's folks taking shots at each other's politics. Let it be....

You better get an attorney....abusing intellectual property like that.

I also like Oxrock's take. The 'over the top' posting at times is a significant part of the entertainment of coming here. Take 3rd's 'abuse' of Tom's copyrighted material as an example. It's how individuals like to express themselves in this corner of the internet. I think everyone has a pretty good sense when a line is truly crossed and it's unfortunate when it happens. Most of the time, however, it's folks taking shots at each other's politics. Let it be....

Tom can claim intellectual property all he wants, but who would believe him?