Positional Needs for DraftTek - November

Astrobot

I forgot DT43. I have it as a late/lower priority, P6, but some might think that Kyle and Dareus have no backup.

But by your above list moving WR up to P2, you are telling the computer that you'd take the WR if the top 2 QB's are taken, so you make no sense ranking WR's as P2. Let's move WR to P3. I'd rather have Te'O or Wilson over Terrence Williams or Keenan Allen.

That works for me.

But my point is the computer should reflect what is happening in the NFL draft, and that QBs go early and often.

So if there is a button to say take a QB any QB (Not Matt Barkley from the University of Sucky QBs) than hit that button and leave the rest of the ranking for Round 2 and beyond.

If they took a WR1 with the #35 Pick after going QB it would be OK. As you can get great LBs in teh 3rd round.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That works for me.

But my point is the computer should reflect what is happening in the NFL draft, and that QBs go early and often.

So if there is a button to say take a QB any QB (Not Matt Barkley from the University of Sucky QBs) than hit that button and leave the rest of the ranking for Round 2 and beyond.

If they took a WR1 with the #35 Pick after going QB it would be OK. As you can get great LBs in teh 3rd round.

I will lockout Barkley.

Our big board weights QB's higher because, as you say, QB's go early and more often due to the limits on salaries--there's no longer the risk. Barkley's a good risk for someone, but not us--he's not mobile, he needs lanes to pass through b/c he's short, and he's from USC lol.

Thanks, new GMs!

Final positional rankings will be:

P1=QB (Multiple M6, meaning pick one early, one late); lockout Barkley

P2=OLB43 (Multiple M3, meaning pick 2 in draft when OLB is BPA), WILB (Barnett's position--also Manti Te'O's)

P3=CB, SILB (Bradham-Moats position), WRF (Multiple M6--Feature Wide Receiver)

P4=TE, OC, LT, DE43, SS, and RBC (Change of Pace RB)

P6=FS, DT43, OG, RBF (Featured RB), WRP (Possession Receiver)

P9=DT34, DE34, OLB34, WRS (speedy small WR)

The new mock will be out at Thanksgiving.

Hi All,

I am asking for your weigh-in on the team's Positional Needs for DraftTek. These are used for computer generated mock drafts, are used in the draft simulatorthat you can use to create mock drafts with different scenarios, and for discussion here at TBD.

UPDATED POSITIONAL NEEDS (see all 32 teams' needs on the team needspage):

P1=Quarterback (Multiple M6)

P2=OLB43 (Multiple M3), WILB (Barnett's position)

P3=CB, SILB (Bradham-Moats position), Wide Receiver (Multiple M6)

P4=TE, OC, LT, DE43, SS, and Change of Pace RB (RBC), as FJ is getting on in years!

P6=FS, DT43, Featured RB (RBF), OG

P9=All other positions

I thought about making this a poll, but decided that quantitative data doesn't tell the whole story.

Astro

I would definitely put WR at p2, our WRs are average at best.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

We badly need to fix the defense. I know fans are pushing for a new QB. But I think unless they can get Geno Smith, they should go with a nasty middle linebacker that can call signal and dominate the running game (like a Patrick Willis). So I will say

1) MLB

2) QB

3) RT

4) Sam Linebacker

5) Will Linebacker

6) CB

7) Receiver

By the way, don't draft any QB from USC please!!!!!!

Receiver is way down the list of priorities. You could put AJ Green on this team right now, and it wouldn't alter the W-L column. Until our D is able to hold teams to 21ish points per game, and our QB can accurately throw the deep ball, WR is a wasted pick. Do I think we have a top tier WR corp, certainly not. We have possession receivers that can move the chains. Say what you will about Fitz (I'm fairly negative), but the O is putting up points. Have we used a ton of picks on D lately, yes, but that is not cause to draft O this year. Without any doubt, the weakness of this team is the D, so that is what needs to be addressed. The only thing that would trump that is a true franchise QB falling to us, which they won't.

P1=Quarterback (Multiple M6)

P2=Quarterback

P2=OLB43 (Multiple M3), WILB (Barnett's position)

P3=CB, SILB (Bradham-Moats position), Wide Receiver (Multiple M6)

P4=TE, OC, LT, DE43, SS, and Change of Pace RB (RBC), as FJ is getting on in years!

P6=FS, DT43, Featured RB (RBF), OG

P9=All other positions

I see no reason to bring in a later round QB in any scenario. It is a given that Thiggy could be gone, and even TJ. If we lose those two we do not want to bring in a 2nd rookie for depth or any reason, even if Fitz is not starting. I worry that pressure gets on Nix and crew to gamble and pulls the trigger on a QB too early. I am fine with a 2nd or 3rd round QB based on what Nix has said - he wants to leave with a franchise QB, it doesn't mean he has to be starting. If he does end up starting Fitz is not going anywhere, and I would just as soon keep Thigpen or TJ as a 3rd QB for another year.

I have been thinking about this RB situation and I really like what we have, but am not sure we keep 5 RB's on the roster next year. Instead I wonder if we do not look for a FB to replace CMac (not saying he is done), but I am more looking for a heavy back (I think there is one in the MAC I saw the other night who can ground out a few yards). If we get that 5th RB we need to keep him on the PS for when CJ or FJ might go down, therefore we do not need a top 5 round RB.

The TE, http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/tight-end/, I am fine not drafting a TE because there is enough talent on the roster and perhaps FA to bring someone in that would benefit us. We need to keep Lee Smith (see running game success), we need to keep Chandler, and perhaps a young up and coming ball catcher FA.

I value our SS a lot, we need to figure out what is going on - or not going on back there. It's a mess, a freaking mess. GW was being a dark horse NFL D-MVP just two years ago before injury. Last year he did pretty darn good. This year he's got something going on. Between GW, Bryan Scott, and McKelvin we have some aged guys to depend upon for our specialty, nickel and dime packages. Our younger guys are not exactly lighting up any highlights for our team, just other teams. I am fine with bringing some new blood in that mix somewhere.

The LB's, last but not least. I hesitate on the answer here, because I see what we have done with Morrison while putting in guys who may not be on NFL rosters next year. So, I bring up Daryl Smith, a Georgia Tech player familiar with Gailey, and FA to be in 2013 currently designated to return. He could be just the stop gap we need while working on transitions. I do not know if he would transfer to our scheme, but I am ready to throw things at the wall to stop the rupturing. I know we cannot solve it all in this draft. As far as MLB, I think we could solve it in the draft.

I also want to know if there is any chance for someone, anyone, who we can find to match up just for the Pats and Jets. I see the Jets relying more on a running game next year and going forward, the Fins are doing very well running and the Pats have the benefit of Brady giving them a good running game. We need to be ready to stop the run, we need a monster back and someone who can step up like Bryan Scott used to do...and maybe he still can if he was not left exposed every play!

Call me crazy, but I could see the team going back to 3-4 next year! I am not sure Wanny pulls out of the nose dive well enough to be here next year, playoffs or not. If we make the playoffs I am not sure we can stop the better teams we'd be facing and it'd be easy to remove Wanny.

i don't get the WR's being in the equation. Jones is 10x better this year SJ13 is always solid.......WR not even on my radar

qb---1 ****unless fitz plays like yesterday for the next 7 weeks****

lb----2,3,4 they all need help....too much B Scott for me.....all of the LB's look lost

I hated seeing Donald Jones on the field in 2010. He was a waste of space

In 2011 less painful yet would make some plays when healthy.

In 2012 he looks like a capable to good WR.

This is the first time in a decade I remember a Buffalo Bill player improving through their career while in Buffalo.

Seriously, who else is a player that has improved while in Buffalo?

I think this type of thing may happen on other teams more frequently.

BB, I got some heat for DraftTek picking a WR in RD1 when I had WR ranked at P2.

So we're trying putting it at P3 so the computer looks at QB, then LB, then WR.

Forget the heat you know what we need, LBs are not as important as they used to be and would be better at p3, although we don't need a WR in r'nd 1.

I locked out Barkley at 9; the Bills ended up drafting Damontre Moore. Barkley slid to Jacksonville in the second round. If he and Smith actually look like elite-caliber QBs to Nix and Co., I wonder if we may have a chance to draft a DE early on and trade back into the first round to grab Barkley/Smith? It's certainly plausible if we and KC are the only teams that decide to use early first round picks on a QB.

If the Bills want to get another legit starting CB, which they need, it's going to have to be higher than a third round pick. Top cover guys are one of the first things to go. LBs may be a greater need, but that doesn't mean that they should draft one ahead of a CB. CB needs to be number one or number two at the latest.

Edited by vincec

I'm getting a sinking feeling that it wasn't the front four but the lousy linebackers all along.

BINGO.

I believe the reason the pass rush (which HAS improved) is disappointing is because teams can beat our LB's all day long with quick throws before Mario and company have a chance to do anything.

A LB has to be able to cover for a couple of seconds - they also have to be able to shed the occasional block and make a tackle.

ILB/MLB should be the top priority - with QB right up there - followed by more LB's.

If the Bills want to get another legit starting CB, which they need, it's going to have to be higher than a third round pick. Top cover guys are one of the first things to go. LBs may be a greater need, but that doesn't mean that they should draft one ahead of a CB. CB needs to be number one or number two at the latest.

I'd rather give Brooks, Rodgers, and even McKelvin if they resign him another shot before using another high pick on a CB when they need LB's and a QB so badly.

For those who mention Safety - I think that's where we will see Aaron Williams line up next year - the possibility that he was more safety than CB was always an issue.

I would say QB, OLB, ILB and SS are the biggest DRAFT needs. I would prefer the Bills to pick up a veteran WR if deemed necessary (although I like the progress of Jones this season and Graham has shown the ability to get open deep if we only had a QB to hit those throws) and veteran CB to pair with Gilmore as we have seen that CB's and WRs have a 2-3 year learning curve.

That being said, many LBs also take some time to develop too so there's still a chance that Bradham AND Sheppard start to "get it" the more snaps they play. But I am now holding my breath on that. Also Wilson needs to GO. Its the end of the line for him at SS he has been terrible.

If the Bills draft 1 more guy who lines up 20 yards from the ball, it's INSANE. Draft from the middle out. And they suck in the middle.

I hated seeing Donald Jones on the field in 2010. He was a waste of space

In 2011 less painful yet would make some plays when healthy.

In 2012 he looks like a capable to good WR.

This is the first time in a decade I remember a Buffalo Bill player improving through their career while in Buffalo.

Seriously, who else is a player that has improved while in Buffalo?

I think this type of thing may happen on other teams more frequently.

Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams, George Wilson, Jason Peters..