Krauthammer Blames the Campaign

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I don't think 90% of Americans had any idea what the deal was with Libya.. its sad, but I am sure internal polls/ intel led the Romney campaign to abondaon talking about Libya because it didn't sway the needle...

The GOP is in a pinch, idealogically.

You have a country where a growing number of citizens feel that it is ok that that illegal immigrant flow across the border as they please, for the most part. the Republican stance has been to secure the borders of this country. How do you reconcile that position, when the other major political party will smear you for doing that the Federal Government is ennumerrated to do, and it do it convincingly? Do you ease you position on Immigration? Do you abandon your principles and duties?

Additonally the GOP is probably going to have to re-think their position on some social issues if they really want to be the party of small government. Abortion- I know they will never change their minds about it, I don't disgaree with their position, but they may have to stop talking overturn R v. W and other womens choice issue, or at least may them less central in their campaign... also on the Gay Marriage front, alot more people in the country are becoming acepting of the notion of two homo's getting married- it is hard to appeal to that growing segment of the populcation when the party of small government is talkign about amedning the Consititution to define marriage.

To me, the GOP needs to get back to brass tacks- it might behoove them to adopt a Libertarian stance on some social issues, therby not condoning but not intruding, and get back to convincing the American People, and there are lot of them out there, that a reduction in size and scope of the Government is what we need to do to survivie and thrive....

The left is the one that constantly brought up and made up schit that the GOP would do. Obama was able to wrongly define the GOP with his different canard of the week.

Do you really think most people of color[your term] voted Obama over tax's laws? Damn you've got your head stuck in the sand,

how bout this: redistribution of wealth. that's what tax changes would do. that's what the slippery slope to single payor will do.

The left is the one that constantly brought up and made up schit that the GOP would do. Obama was able to wrongly define the GOP with his different canard of the week.

My point being, they need to find a way to overcome that. To be fair, the GOP makes it an issue, the lay it out clearly in the primaries for example, and once its on video, it keeps coming back..... they are doing to themslves, they take the hard stances, and then it is really to hard to crawl back to the center.

I dont think they have to change their stance on anything. But they DO have to speak to the common ground they have with minorities.

Both Latinos and blacks are mostly socially conservative. Speak to that value system.

Latinos are as independent and hard working as they come. The VAST majority that even came here illegally didnt do so for a handout. You think they are standing in front of Home Depot looking for a handout? They are looking for work. Speak to that instead of demonizing them.

I dont think they have to change their stance on anything. But they DO have to speak to the common ground they have with minorities.

Both Latinos and blacks are mostly socially conservative. Speak to that value system.

Latinos are as independent and hard working as they come. The VAST majority that even came here illegally didnt do so for a handout. You think they are standing in front of Home Depot looking for a handout? They are looking for work. Speak to that instead of demonizing them.

And it begins.

3rd...you are not seeing this for what it is. Opposing parties have been defining the other party forever. This is hardly a new tact, and not one the Republican party hasn't played on the Democratic party plenty of times. Remember, all Dems are for free money and don't want to work?

Sure, it may be dirty politcs, but not all of the "canard" issues are without merit...they may not all revolve around the struggling economy...and I know that upsets many. I get that. But, there are other issues than the economy that are important to many Americans, just (it appears) not to many of the people who post here. And, when those issues presented themselves, the Republican candidate/candidates came down on the wrong side of popular opinon pretty consistantly, and in many cases doubled down on their unpopular stances...so yes, of course they lost the election. There are likely to be as up to 3 Supreme court justices named over the next 4 years...so these issues are relevant.

It was only when Romney started to try to sound like a moderate Republican that he started to get any momentum. But, unfortunately, in this day and age, everything is documented...Romney just contradicted himself so many times on these "unimportant" issues that he just came off as untrustworthy.

When addressing his perceived "strength" as a "job creator", he either didn't have a coherent, workable plan to back up his claims, or (more likely) thought the American public was too stupid to understand his plan...the notion that Obama is an elitist, particularly when compared to Romney/Ryan is laughable.

Sure, it may be dirty politcs, but not all of the "canard" issues are without merit...they may not all revolve around the struggling economy...and I know that upsets many. I get that. But, there are other issues than the economy that are important to many Americans, just (it appears) not to many of the people who post here. And, when those issues presented themselves, the Republican candidate/candidates came down on the wrong side of popular opinon pretty consistantly, and in many cases doubled down on their unpopular stances...so yes, of course they lost the election. There are likely to be as up to 3 Supreme court justices named over the next 4 years...so these issues are relevant.

Of course there are other issues but the economy should be the most important since, without a strong economy, it is harder to achieve the other ones. Just ask Europe.

If you want I could help you lower your tax bill through some offshore investments.

Hook me up!

I also need to buy a gun. Anyone have any suggestions (I can't find a phased plasma rifles in the 40-watt range)?

thats probably right on target. that being said, the GOP will have to recraft their message widly in that attempt, not only on immgration reform front, but also a social safety net issue... many legal immigrants still rely on many Government program for healthcare, education, housing, etc... The message of people being "takers", whether true or not, it not inviting to many Latinos who work low wage jobs, get Medicaid and housing assitance..

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I've been personally attacked for my moderate success by other posters, nor should I be surprised that my understanding of rudimentary tax law is being questioned, but I am.

$250k is not a lot of money. You shouldn't be surprised to learn when people earn more than that. You know we exist. You just spent four years attacking us, did you think we were ghosts? Did you believe that when we came home and took off our suits that we didn't have normal interests? Success precludes a 36 year old man from being a Bills fan, or from enjoying a little OOTP Baseball?

Am I supposed to come home and become a man made of wood? What are suitable interests for my means? Inform me.

What are suitable interests for my means?

Uh, duh, rolling up cigars made of $100 bills and smoking them when you fly your helicopter while wearing a bespoke suit and dumping buckets of little slips of paper that say, "Get a job, hippie" on impoverished mexican children.

Uh, duh, rolling up cigars made of $100 bills and smoking them when you fly your helicopter while wearing a bespoke suit and dumping buckets of little slips of paper that say, "Get a job, hippie" on impoverished mexican children.

Sounds boring.

Oddly enough, I'd rather just play Madden once in a while.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that I've been personally attacked for my moderate success by other posters, nor should I be surprised that my understanding of rudimentary tax law is being questioned, but I am.

$250k is not a lot of money. You shouldn't be surprised to learn when people earn more than that. You know we exist. You just spent four years attacking us, did you think we were ghosts? Did you believe that when we came home and took off our suits that we didn't have normal interests? Success precludes a 36 year old man from being a Bills fan, or from enjoying a little OOTP Baseball?

Am I supposed to come home and become a man made of wood? What are suitable interests for my means? Inform me.

As a known Obama over Romney poster I approve of this post. 250K in a year is in no way a "rich" person.