Williams, Williams, Defense, Offense

PO'14

Coaches do not tell their players what cushion to give on every play. Once in a while, a coach may get on a player and tell them they want them up in a players face, but for the most part, that is on the player. Now, before people say that this isn't true, there are a couple of plays that call for a jam, but that is mostly around the goal-line. It is the same on the college level. The call is for the coverage, and then it is up to the DB to decide how they want to play it.

Here is a Perry Fewell quote from a JW article a couple of years ago:

Concerned with how far off the line McKelvin was playing, Fewell delivered a message to remind the former first-round draft pick how far he had to go if he intended to keep the starting job entering his second NFL season.

"We didn't draft him to give 10 to 15-yard cushions," Fewell said, recalling what he told the former No. 11 selection. "We drafted him so he can get up in their grill and be able to stay with a receiver."

http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=55659587

The play just shows how little confidence Gilmore has in his game right now.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-Williams got his sack in the first half and called it a day

The guy seriously can't win around here. He had a number of disruptive plays and got us a drive-stopping sack and we still bash him. I'm embarrassed to be a Bills fan every time I see a post like this or he has to answer a question about how Buffalo is disappointed in him.

The guy seriously can't win around here. He had a number of disruptive plays and got us a drive-stopping sack and we still bash him. I'm embarrassed to be a Bills fan every time I see a post like this or he has to answer a question about how Buffalo is disappointed in him.

Im embarrassed to be a Bills fan to. Supporting this team every week. staying up late talking about them. Thinking they will bounce back every year. Drinking the koolaid Ralph has to offer us.

Get a grip. Williams is an Elite player. Until he shows it, I will not drink the koolaid!

The guy was invisible in the second half. At times not even trying. go back and watch the game.

I already watched the game and unlike you I knew what I was looking at.

ALL of these plays are from the 2nd half:

1-4-BUF4(12:48) A.Foster up the middle to BUF 3 for 1 yard (M.Williams)

Williams stones Foster inside the Bills own 5

3-2-50(:53) M.Schaub pass short right to A.Johnson to BUF 36 for 14 yards (M.Williams).

Williams hustles hard downfield to make a diving tackle on Andre Johnson to prevent a huge gain.

1-10-BUF34(5:37) J.Forsett left tackle to BUF 34 for no gain (M.Williams).

Williams stones the RB on 1st down again; Houston punts 3 plays later.

1-10-HOU32(3:12) J.Forsett left guard to HST 31 for -1 yards (M.Williams).

Williams gets his 2nd TackleForLoss on the day

3-5-HOU37(2:00) J.Forsett left tackle to HST 34 for -3 yards (M.Williams).

Williams get his 3rd TackleForLoss on the day

Just because you have no idea what you're seeing doesn't mean that Mario Williams was invisible.

Folks that actually understand what's happening on the field know he was a factor.

Im embarrassed to be a Bills fan to. Supporting this team every week. staying up late talking about them. Thinking they will bounce back every year. Drinking the koolaid Ralph has to offer us.

Get a grip. Williams is an Elite player. Until he shows it, I will not drink the koolaid!

Listen you can't measure everything that goes on, on a football field with statistics. Mario Wiliiams played a damn solid game actually, he lined up on both ends which he hasn't done yet & he looked good. To say Williams is elite though is your own personal opinion. He's not an Elite DE elite is (Jason Pierre Paul, Demarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Justin Tuck) are probably the top 5 pass rushers in the league.

Edited by Lincoln Osiris

Listen you can't measure everything that goes on, on a football field with statistics. Mario Wiliiams played a damn solid game actually, he lined up on both ends which he hasn't done yet & he looked good. To say Williams is elite though is your own personal opinion. He's not an Elite DE elite is (Jason Pierre Paul, Demarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Julius Peppers, Justin Tuck) are probably the top 5 pass rushers in the league.

Id say hes paid like one!

Mario outplayed Watt today, but thats not good enough apparently. I will never complain when a player doesnt want to sign with buffalo, some of the fans are such thankless, miserable, know-it-all, loudmouthed pieces of white trash. Why would anybody choose to come here when no matter what they do, the "fans"insist they suck, have no heart, dont try hard, etc... It's really disturbing.

rant over

Mario outplayed Watt today, but thats not good enough apparently. I will never complain when a player doesnt want to sign with buffalo, some of the fans are such thankless, miserable, know-it-all, loudmouthed pieces of white trash. Why would anybody choose to come here when no matter what they do, the "fans"insist they suck, have no heart, dont try hard, etc... It's really disturbing.

rant over

Winning usually changes this kind of stuff! No playoffs since 1999 and you expect fans to jump for joy! :wallbash::death::bag::thumbdown:

rant over

I disagree that he outplayed Watt. Watt had multiple hits on Fitz and I think two sacks. I also think he had more tackles than Mario. Watt in my opinion was the better player today

rant over

No, he didn't. He had a good game, but Watt had an excellent one.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=321104034

Nope, it was a close race, but Mario came out on top today

Do you not consider QB hits to be important? Watt had 5.

Winning usually changes this kind of stuff! No playoffs since 1999 and you expect fans to jump for joy! :wallbash::death::bag::thumbdown:

No. But blaming the wrong people is what jests fans do. No one is expecting to jump for joy at a loss, but blame the people that actually sucked and give credit where credit is due. If you take away the few good things we do, we only get worse. And yes, it is possible to get worse

And watt was better than Mario. But Mario had a good game still

Do you not consider QB hits to be important? Watt had 5.

not that important, a hit is nice, but tackles matter more. QB hit means his guy did his job enough to prevent a sack, or he couldnt get passed his blockers so he took a cheap shot on the QB, whichever way you want to look at it.

not that important, a hit is nice, but tackles matter more. QB hit means his guy did his job enough to prevent a sack, or he couldnt get passed his blockers so he took a cheap shot on the QB, whichever way you want to look at it.

I kinda was on board - thought Mario played very well. On the fence with the as good as watt argument.... But this post is full of fail.

I really don't know what everyone was expecting from Mario. This could be the turning point in his season. He played well against one of the best teams in the NFL. He lead the team (both teams, actually) in sacks and tackles, too. Sure the stat line doesn't tell it all, but I thought he looked good on the whole. The thing is that not everyone on the D-line played that well today. Kyle Moore is proving his worth, Kyle didn't have as good of a showing as he usually does and Dareus is losing it, or so it seems. Kelsay bites bad on some of those fakes and Merriman's only noticeable moment was an offside call.

Still, overall the defense did much better than we anticipated. We gave up 21 first downs, but they gave up 17. We held them to 4 out of 11 on third down and stopped them the one time they went on fourth. Average gain per rush of 3.7 - way lower than we were averaging before.

What killed us was the the Texans got touchdowns and we were held to field goals. That is on our offense as much as our defense. Time of possession also hurt us. We managed drives remarkably well until the second half. I don't feel like ranting anymore, though.

Edited by Big C

Fitz looked rattled to the point where he started seeing ghosts in the pocket due to the number of hits he took. That severely affected his play. The o-line was a massive disappointment, but I hope we can attribute that to Cordy's injury + playcalling.