Williams, Williams, Defense, Offense

PO'14

Gilmore was supposed to back off. He had no help over the top. Error on the defensive play call not Gilmore.

He's saying that it wasn't Gilmores fault Wannstedt called a stupid play. Yes, he was supposed to do that. Bad play call indeed.

It looked to me like a zone blitz where M Williams was trying to drop off and cut off that short pass to the flat and Gilmore had the deeper zone. However Williams, not being a LB, only got 2 or 3 yards of depth and there was plenty of room to throw that completion over his flailing arms. The idea is that you bait that throw on the pre-snap read then surprise the QB with a different coverage than he thought. It wasn't executed well and may have been ill conceived but that's what I saw anyway.

What I would like to know is what was the concept for playing that play action rollout that Houston killed them with? The DE certainly can't be expected to stay in his gap to stop the cut back on the zone run and still stop the QB from getting outside the pocket. How were the Bills trying to defend that play? Whatever they were doing, it wasn't working.

Edited by vincec

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we are so used to him doing nothing that when his best game is one sack and a few tackles against his former team, Bills fans should rejoice and get all excited!

I can send you 10 plays where he didnt even try to push or get the QB. Im saying where he literally just watched Shaub and hoped to tip his pass!

You know thats a type of coverage right? Its called contain. The hope is you dont allow a big play or a QB that likes to roll out, like schaub, the chance to roll out

What did you expect from him today? What did he need to do to play well by you?

Make the defense relevant. Earn his paycheck.

We are losing games because our defense sucks, a large part of that is our front 7 is soft. He was supposed to change that and he hasn't. Doesn't matter what numbers he brings to the table. We would have been better off spending money on a handful of solid players vs one questionably good player who doesn't play the entire game.

Mario played rather well. Watt is at the top of the game right now. He crushed Fitz far too frequently.

Chan made stupid playcalls on offense. In particular, the first drive in the second half, it made no sense to pass, pass, pass, and punt. The conservative Gailey as far as passing game and crunch time decisions is costing the Bills. You have a running back averaging 6 yards a carry, give him the rock.

Wanny's D had a respectable performance overall. It held a potent Texan offense to 21 points which is far less than expect by some of us. Furthermore, they surrendered far less than expected to Arian Foster, which screwed me on fantasy a bit, but was surprising that he wasn't getting those 60 yard home runs. Wanny did have a mistake in keeping Gilmore on the right side and Williams on the left, as Gilmore should have followed Andre Johnson the whole day.