AJ McCarron

Billsrhody

Per Todd McShay:

The most underrated quarterback in the country?

ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay said it’s Alabama junior AJ McCarron.

“This guy keeps getting a little better every time I watch him in terms of the little things you have to do to be a successful quarterback,” McShay said during a teleconference with reporters this morning. “I’d love to see him come back for his final year of eligibility and just continue to ascend.

“It wouldn’t shock me if we’re talking for the 2014 draft A.J. McCarron as a potential top 20 overall draft pick because he’s got enough tools. I just I like the way he plays the game.”

McShay said he is aware of the reputation of Alabama quarterbacks being asked to manage games and little else. He said that might’ve hurt how some view McCarron.

“I feel he got typecast coming into the year because he’s an Alabama quarterback,” he said.

McShay added that McCarron does manage the game well, but also has a good arm.

“He has a good arm,” McShay said. “It’s not elite, but it’s very good. He can make all the NFL throws. He’s really good in terms of his accuracy throwing on the run.”

McShay likes him? Pass.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As previous posters have stated, McCarron is a red-shirt sophomore....highly unlikely that he comes out this year. Having watched him a lot this year, I will say that he excels as a game manager. Alabama is a power running team that relies upon short pass plays (often screen plays) to move the chains. McCarron is very rarely relied upon to stretch the field with long throws. From what I've seen, he has poor accuracy on longer throws, and does not seem to have that "zip" on his throws that would be required in the NFL. Right now, IMO, he would not be a starting QB in the NFL. He would be stupid to enter the draft this year. After another season of NCAA football under his belt...well...who knows?

Okay, I'll stop mentioning Aaron Murray if you tell me what "collegiant" means.

lol....touche, brother :)

Do you think he will last more than like two NFL games, though? The guy is like a STICK.

after next year he will about 235, and a few years into the league probably 255, he's young he'll fill out that frame.

after next year he will about 235, and a few years into the league probably 255, he's young he'll fill out that frame.

He'll definitley need to, that's for sure. He's one to watch.

I assume that's the only drive you saw all game?

Not making any excuses for the kid, but playing a night game in Death Valley vs one of the best defenses in the country, not to mention an SEC rival, is a VERY tough task. He came through when he really needed to, and they won the game. 'Nuff said.

Did you see the national championship last year? Dude was as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Btw, zero INT's this year vs. 19 TDs? Pretty darn impressive.

Not making any excuses for the kid, but playing a night game in Death Valley vs one of the best defenses in the country, not to mention an SEC rival, is a VERY tough task. He came through when he really needed to, and they won the game. 'Nuff said.

Did you see the national championship last year? Dude was as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Myself personally, I would take AJ McCarron over anyone If he was going to become available in the upcoming draft.(but hes not)

until he has to make some real throws, hes at best a big question mark.

ice water in the veins doesnt mean much if its flowing into an arm that cant get it done.

ice water in the veins doesnt mean much if its flowing into an arm that cant get it done.

I'm not saying he's a clear cut NFL quarterback at this point, he's still young so I doubt he comes out this year anyways. I was just trying to defend his performance in a hostile environment and his no interception season up to this point.

Btw, I'm also an Alabama fan, so I may be a little biased.

Have you watched Mccarron play? and If so what gives you an impression he can't make the throws?

Mccarron has more then just a good arm, his excellent field vision and ability to manage a game without making mistakes will transition well into the NFL in my opinion.

AJ McCarron has the heart of a Champion...

I really like this McCarron kid. He would look good in a Bills suit.

you and me both red, you and me both,

When you see a grown 6-4 man break down and cry at the end of a football game because he didn't let his teammates down, one of them hidden attributes that doesn't show up on the stats sheet,

Capitol H-E-A-R-T, now that's what I'm talking about baby!

Top 25,sure -- top 2-3, which are what makes an impact, no.

So Cam Newton, Andrew Luck,RG3 Aren't making an Impact, there is a reason why No Alabama QB has been a Star QB in NFL Since Joe Namath they are a Running Team & McCarron skills set are not NFL style they are College style that why he plays for Alabama