Are Thursday night games on NFLN subject to blackout?

CodeMonkey

Ive never heard of a MNF game being blacked out. I doubt Thursday is any different.

MNF games in Buffalo were blacked out locally in 1976 (the season opener! loss to Miami) and 1984 (mid-season loss to Miami), in my memory... Thursday night game in 1982 (fantastic comeback against the Vikings).

So it can happen. Whether it does or not depends on ticket sales.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

I thought the rules for CABLE only channels was different. I don't recall what they are exactly. a smaller distance 75 miles to 50?

Same for cable and terrestrial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television#Blackout_policies

The NFL defines a team's market area as "local" if it is within a 75-mile radius of the team's home stadium. Therefore, a blackout affects any market where the terrestrial broadcast signal of an affiliate station, under normal conditions, penetrates into the 75-mile radius. These affiliates are determined before the season, and do not change as the season progresses. Some remote primary media markets, such as Denver and Phoenix, may cover that entire radius, so that the blackout would not affect any other affiliates. However, in some instances a very tiny portion of a distant city's market area can be within the 75-mile radius of a different city, thus leading to blackouts well beyond the targeted area. .

This page also confirms that NFLN is under the blackout rule, as is Sunday and Monday night football.

And wow, I did not know this ... the Cuse getting boned ...

The most notable example is the Syracuse market's blackout of Buffalo Bills games because a small section of the town of Italy of Yates County containing a handful of people lies within the 75-mile radius of Ralph Wilson Stadium while the entirety of the remainder of the Syracuse market lies outside of it. At the time Yates County was part of Syracuse DMA but it was switched to Rochester DMA because of exurb expansion with more and more immediate Rochester area employees were living in Yates county and traveling to the Rochester are for events. Despite this, the league still enforces Bills blackouts for Syracuse
Edited by CodeMonkey

If the Bills had opted into the new blackout policy, this game wouldn't be an issue. They didn't so it is. There's 3500 tix on stub hub alone, why anyone would pay face price to OBD box office is beyond me.It could very well be blacked out unless the Bills or a white knight buy the remaining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_television#Blackout_policies

This page also confirms that NFLN is under the blackout rule, as is Sunday and Monday night football.

I didn't know until recently, but found out when my brother started going to Utica for college. He lost his sh-- when he found out he was more than 75 miles away but still got blacked out as part of the "Syracuse area"

http://en.wikipedia....ackout_policies

The most notable example is the Syracuse market's blackout of Buffalo Bills games because a small section of the town of Italy of Yates County containing a handful of people lies within the 75-mile radius of Ralph Wilson Stadium while the entirety of the remainder of the Syracuse market lies outside of it. At the time Yates County was part of Syracuse DMA but it was switched to Rochester DMA because of exurb expansion with more and more immediate Rochester area employees were living in Yates county and traveling to the Rochester are for events. Despite this, the league still enforces Bills blackouts for Syracuse

It gets better. I live near Utica, another hour past Syracuse from Buffalo. Our CBS station is the one in Syracuse, so when games are blacked out in Syracuse, they are also blacked out in Utica, almost 200 miles from Buffalo.

(oops, I guess the post two above me said the same thing)

Edited by Gray Beard

WOW - Same time slot and they went high tech too

• If the blacked-out home game is played on a Sunday afternoon, all local stations inside the 75-mile radius must show a different NFL game during that time slot—the network typically chooses the game. Also, NFL Sunday Ticket cannot telecast the game into that area. As stated earlier, the doubleheader network can broadcast only one game into that team's primary market (usually the No. 1 game), which is designed to prevent people from opting to watch the other televised NFL games instead of attending their local team's game. Again, the secondary markets would still carry a doubleheader. Sometimes, the networks will switch time slots so that the doubleheader network can still show its featured 4:25 pm game.

• The NFL Mobile app for mobile devices periodically checks the user's location in order to enforce blackouts, and will not show a blacked-out game if the device is being used in the game's home market. Transmissions are also blacked out if the mobile device is currently within or near the home stadium.

Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC gets blacked out on non-sold out Panther home games and we are way past 75 miles from Charlotte. Most of the native NC'ers in this area I know are still Redskins fans (Charlotte is about as loved as NYC is to WNY'ers).

Talked to my sales rep recently in the ticket office and she said that Miami is still a few thousand away from selling out, and unless a sponsor or something buys the extra seats it won't sell out.

I was surprised to hear this because its a night game and would assume it would be the first to sell out, but what do I know.

Anyway, does anyone know if the game will be televised if they don't sell it out? Not sure how that works because of the NFL network and all.

Also, it's pretty scary because they did not sell out a few games last year and are on pace to have like 4 more non sell outs this year...