OK, I never do this, but... 2013 NFL draft

Keep an eye on guys like Mike Glennon (NC St.), Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel, and Aaron Murray. I really believe that there is some good depth to this QB class beyond Smith/Barkley.

The only QB in this class who I would consider "giving away the farm" for is Geno Smith. I would much prefer, however, to take a stud LB in round one (Manti Te'o), and then perhaps trade back into round 1 for a QB (or take on in round 2).

Same here - I don't even think I'd give up a whole bunch for Smith - and they REALLY need LB's - plural.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geno smith is still really good. dont pay attention to the outcomes of the games. watch his mechanics and ball placement. he is the best qb in the country.

Best? I dunno... Colin Klein is making a pretty good Heisman case for himself. Klein gives you the added dimension of mobility to go with his excellent ball placement, and mechanics.

I'm definitely in the minority. but I'm still hoping we grab Logan Thomas early in the third. Like Smith, Logan's record has misrepresented his ability. Add to that a very inexp'd reciever corp, which has hampered his passing game.

-He isn't perfect. but Thomas is the type of kid that an offensive-minded coach can do amazing things with. Big, physical, durable, and mobile. I think Thomas is our guy.

Zac Dysert at Miami of Ohio I think deserves some attention. 6'3", strong and semi mobile kid. He delivers the ball accurately out of the spread set but suffers an extremely untalented supporting cast. He's got a good arm and can make all the throws. If Chan is still around I'd be excited to see what he can do with him.

Here's a link to some tape of his game against Ohio State earlier this year. There's a lot of drops in this game but take notice of the accuracy on his downfield throws. Keep in mind he's had a different head coach these last three years so with some stability and solid leadership I think he'll flourish. I'm not a backer of his or anything just looking for some perspective.

Best? I dunno... Colin Klein is making a pretty good Heisman case for himself. Klein gives you the added dimension of mobility to go with his excellent ball placement, and mechanics.

I'm definitely in the minority. but I'm still hoping we grab Logan Thomas early in the third. Like Smith, Logan's record has misrepresented his ability. Add to that a very inexp'd reciever corp, which has hampered his passing game.

-He isn't perfect. but Thomas is the type of kid that an offensive-minded coach can do amazing things with. Big, physical, durable, and mobile. I think Thomas is our guy.

logan thomas above klien. i haven't seen klien make many nfl throws or reads. hes a slightly better tebow right now. just watch his ball placement and throws. he is not even close to being as good of a prospect as geno smith

I don't know how things will work out in the end but the four big boards I've looked at have Logan Thomas somewhere between bottom of the second to top of the fourth round so does anyone think it's possible to come out of the 2013 draft with Manti te o and Logan Thomas.

Edited by ....lybob

I don't know how things will work out in the end but the four big boards I've looked at have Logan Thomas somewhere between bottom of the second to top of the fourth round so does anyone think it's possible to come out of the 2013 draft with Manti te o and Logan Thomas.

I love Manti TE'O. However Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson have to be #1 and #2 on the Bills Big Board but if they are gone when the Bills pick Manti Te'O is the obvious choice.

The point being that there are very few teams that need a QB in the 2013 draft. 6 by my calculations. So it is very likely that Manti Te'O will be gone well before Barkley and Smith.

historically, the success rate of Qbs by rd goes as follows:

rd 1: 50%

rd 2: 33%

rd3-7: 15%

undrafted: 2%

Its not difficult to figure out, 1st rd QB's are most likely to succeed. Do your homework, trust the scouts to look for the right things, and take a QB early.

Thanks for doing that homework!

I am tired of 3rd rate QBs who "might" develop. Throw some coins in the fountain and wish!

I am in favor of trading up for one of the top 2 or 3 QBs. No more farting around at QB, please.

It seems as if the Bills are going to have 2 options: trade up to draft a Geno Smith or a Matt Barkley or draft a 2nd tier type of QB (see: Locker, Ponder, Dalton, Losman, et al), which is more of a 50/50 proposition. I guess I'm calling on the draft experts here, but I guess there are two ways of thinking: 1) you need to get a surefire prospect like an Andrew Luck or an RGIII at any cost or 2) you draft a hulking LB in the first round and then trade up to get a Tyler Bray at the end of the 1st/early 2nd.

I've always been a type 1, but I could be persuaded. I think I'd be happy with a hulking LB from the SEC with a fraternity symbol branded on his arm and Tyler Bray.

Couple notes here: I realize Luck is a once-a-generation prospect and neither Geno Smith or Barkley fit that bill. You don't have to tell me.

And also, the Bills are going to end up winning 6 games, and drafting around 10 as per usual, so let's base it off of that assumption.

Bray is one of my boys but he need a more experience and needs to develop that killer instinct, he has the best arm I've seen in yrs with tight spirals but has a ways to go, maybe we draft Jones this year and Bray and Pachall next year and let the best man win.

geno smith is still really good. dont pay attention to the outcomes of the games. watch his mechanics and ball placement. he is the best qb in the country.

Agreed...IMHO Smith is the only QB in this coming Draft worthy of a Top 5 Pick...I would be really surprised if he did not #1 overall...I'm hoping he slides a bit to The Bills...But I doubt it... B-)

He's a great kid but if you wan't instant gratification, he's not your guy.

not sure what this means....the kids on the field every saturday....i see no reason we can't get instant gratification from him....he makes plays and is better than fitz = instant gratification in my mind

historically, the success rate of Qbs by rd goes as follows:

rd 1: 50%

rd 2: 33%

rd3-7: 15%

undrafted: 2%

Its not difficult to figure out, 1st rd QB's are most likely to succeed. Do your homework, trust the scouts to look for the right things, and take a QB early.

So this means that since we already used our bad 50% on Losman that no matter who we take in the first will be a stud! That's how percentages and probabilities and odds work, right?

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan

So this means that since we already used our bad 50% on Losman that no matter who we take in the first will be a stud! That's how percentages and probabilities and odds work, right?

what are your odds of winning when you sit on the sidelines during draft season and take another RB or DB instead of getting in the game and take a QB? I'm pretty sure your record will be about 6-10 for the last 13 years.

Boyd would be a good pick if he lasted until the 4th round and the Bills drafted 2 QB's......and I think they should.

He is 6'1" and a true Junior. I think Tajh Boyd isn't going in the draft unless he gets a first round grade.

I don't think he gets a first round grade.

Especially if Chad Kelly is not ready to start. Clemson is going to want Tajh to stay.

Edited by Why So Serious?