A Question For You All...

jjmac

Anybody who has read my posts knows that I have my opinions on the Bills, and that I'm not afraid to express them.

That being said, I just got done working on a paper for school, and, before my brained geared down for the evening, a question popped into my head, one that I can't answer. Could the problem with the defense be that Wanny doesn't have the players he needs to run it?

I appreciate your answers in advance.

You mean small linebackers, a pretty weak CB #23, a hot/cold SS, and a FA Defensive End out with knee injury, another with a sore wrist that doesn't want opposing OT's touching his facemask....you might be on to something.

Meh. What has he done in the last 15 years that give him a pass. His track record is well established as less than mediocre. I never thought I'd beg for wade back

Meh. What has he done in the last 15 years that give him a pass. His track record is well established as less than mediocre. I never thought I'd beg for wade back

Not a Wanny fan here...just that we are stuck in a rut with mediocre players and a below average defensive schemer.

You fit your offensive and defensive schemes around your players. Not the other way around. If he doesn't have the personnel to do what he wants, then he needs to do what he has the personnel for. It's what identifies a GOOD coach. It's not like we've abandoned the defense or anything. For the most part the previous 3 drafts have been defensively orientated. We've picked up multiple FAs (Mario, Anderson, Barnett, Morrison) to fit the schemes that they've tried to implement. It's time they play to their players strengths. Lets stop with the square peg in a round hole crap.

You fit your offensive and defensive schemes around your players. Not the other way around. If he doesn't have the personnel to do what he wants, then he needs to do what he has the personnel for. It's what identifies a GOOD coach. It's not like we've abandoned the defense or anything. For the most part the previous 3 drafts have been defensively orientated. We've picked up multiple FAs (Mario, Anderson, Barnett, Morrison) to fit the schemes that they've tried to implement. It's time they play to their players strengths. Lets stop with the square peg in a round hole crap.

Well said.

There is a saying about good coaches:

"He can take his and beat yours, and he can take yours and beat his"

The credit for this saying is not clear, posssibly Don Shula? or maybe Bum Philips (Wade's father)? Or maybe somebody else.

The point is: a good coach knows the best way to use the players that he has at any given time, whether it is starters, second stringers, or rejects. Wannstedt doesn't seem to be able to make the most out of the players that he has. I bet Belichick or either of the Ryan brothers, or probably several other coaches around the league could make this defense look pretty good. They would know how to use the players that they have and design schemes and strategies to get results. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole.

There is a saying about good coaches:

"He can take his and beat yours, and he can take yours and beat his"

The credit for this saying is not clear, posssibly Don Shula? or maybe Bum Philips (Wade's father)? Or maybe somebody else.

The point is: a good coach knows the best way to use the players that he has at any given time, whether it is starters, second stringers, or rejects. Wannstedt doesn't seem to be able to make the most out of the players that he has. I bet Belichick or either of the Ryan brothers, or probably several other coaches around the league could make this defense look pretty good. They would know how to use the players that they have and design schemes and strategies to get results. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole.

Graybeard...meet mrags. Mrags...Graybeard. I assume you know each other.

I'm in this camp. I was under the impression that Wanny supported the decision to go after Williams. Either way you build the defense around the strengths of your players.

In his last 8 years in the NFL, he has had a top 10 defense 6 times and didn't have one ranked lower than 14th. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/WannDa0.htm The defense has blown monkey balls but he has a very good resume.

In his last 8 years in the NFL, he has had a top 10 defense 6 times and didn't have one ranked lower than 14th. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/WannDa0.htm The defense has blown monkey balls but he has a very good resume.

Maybe it's time for him to break out some of that shnazzy defensive scheming for the "round peg square hole" argument for our specific players and their talents.

You mean small linebackers, a pretty weak CB #23, a hot/cold SS, and a FA Defensive End out with knee injury, another with a sore wrist that doesn't want opposing OT's touching his facemask....you might be on to something.

I think this is dead on- but Wanny has to look at this defense for what he's got not what he hoped to have- Wanny thought he could bring pressure by bringing just 4 but guess what Wanny you can't so adjust that's what your being paid to do.

Maybe it's time for him to break out some of that shnazzy defensive scheming for the "round peg square hole" argument for our specific players and their talents.

And that probably is the best argument against Wanny. He is stubborn and the league has completely changed. But no one was making that argument when he was hired as DC.

Maybe he's asking the LBers to fill the gap as well as any other teams backs (?) but then asks that at no point are they allowed past the line of scrimmage. Ever. Do not cross.

The backs seem to come up from a deep set & literally just stop. Barnett came up on the 83 yard run and got stopped, turned from outside to inside & allowed that gap to open- no way if he penetrated through that that play goes 83.

Oh, & I think they blitzed once last week- from memory. I think the most they've blitzed is maybe 5 times against Arizona. I saw Houston had blitzed 5 times in maybe the first 5 minutes last week...