Mario Williams is the cancer that is dragging this Defense down

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moore is playing better. Start him. It's really that simple. If it weren't for Mario's bloated paycheck and the party Nix threw when he signed him, Moore would be starting already.

Agreed. Moore is AT LEAST as good (and just as big), so why not see what his upside is with more first team reps. We already know what Mario's upside is. The downside is $50M in guaranteed money.

Im in this camp.

WAAAAYYYYY too early to call him "the problem" or "the cancer."

Me too.

Is he playing up to the hype? Not in the least, but the talent was there and if he really does have an injury that effects him shedding blockers then that could be playing a roll in how effective he has been.

The fact that they kept playing him probably has more to do with the front office trying to save face and not look like they overpaid for a DE who immediately had injury issues.

Can he turn the corner and get back to where he was?

The jury is still out, but all of our defensive issues are not Mario-related he is only one faulty piece to an engine that needs some overhauling.

there is nothing the Bills can do except wait for a point in the contract where it becomes cost effective, and cut him.

Here's the deal, if the Bills cut (highly unlikely) Williams, they should do it sooner than later. However, he takes his $50 million guaranteed money, immediately signs with a super bowl contender for a lot less money, since he doesn't need it, (thank you Buffalo) and rides fame and glory with a much better team. In other words cutting him will only punish the Bills. Especially if he signs with the NYJs or NEPs.

Although his teamates did not mention his name, it is obvious to me that they are calling Mario out now for not putting forth any effort "I don't care who you are".

He needs to be benched immediately to make a statement but we all know Chan will not go there. Hell, if his teammates see the effort he is putting forth and

knowing what he is making, don't you think that they are going to say - Why should I play 100% ?

Why was Mario so good when he was with Houston - It's because Houston had a defensive coach who has a better coaching philosophy than Wannstedt and made better use of Mario.

An interesting article from a Toronto hockey guy talking about the similarities between the Bills and Leafs and why losers keep losing.

http://editorinleaf....ses-remain-bad/

To paraphase one moral of the story, stating your accountable, and we'll look at what we're doing, means nothing if you do nothing to follow it up with action.

Accountability means the owner holds the GM accountable, the GM holds the HC accountable, the HQ holds his coaching staff and the players accountable. And the players hold each other accountable. And there are consequences to failure.

The fact that Kelsay, a player on the defense, has to step up and call people out for lack of effort means nobody in the organization above the level of players on the field is holding anyone accountable for what is going on here. While Mario's performance is an issue, IMO his situation is more a symptom of the problem than the cause of the problem. There a lots of players in the NFL with 'guaranteed' contracts and they are not coasting through the game each week. Ownership is soft, the front office is soft, the coaching staff is soft. So the players play soft too.

Years ago I remember seeing a note our VP sent to my boss on a recurring problem. It said 'get results now or I will!' Raplh needs to send one of those notes to Buddy, and Buddy needs to kick some coaching backside ASAP. This team needs to develop a mean and nasty attitude and carry that onto the field against the opposition on every play. You don't get there by making excuses and ducking the obvious.

So, did your boss bench you?