POOF, And another 250 million of tax payer's money likely gone.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-16/electric-car-battery-maker-a123-systems-files-bankruptcy.html?cmpid=yhoo

President Barack Obama called A123 Chief Executive Officer David Vieau and then-Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm during a September 2010 event celebrating the opening of the plant in Livonia, Michigan, that the company received the U.S. grant to help build.

“This is about the birth of an entire new industry in America -- an industry that’s going to be central to the next generation of cars,” Obama said in the phone call, according to a transcript provided by the White House. “When folks lift up their hoods on the cars of the future, I want them to see engines and batteries that are stamped: Made in America.”

http://www.bloomberg...html?cmpid=yhoo

President Barack Obama called A123 Chief Executive Officer David Vieau and then-Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm during a September 2010 event celebrating the opening of the plant in Livonia, Michigan, that the company received the U.S. grant to help build.

"This is about the birth of an entire new industry in America -- an industry that's going to be central to the next generation of cars," Obama said in the phone call, according to a transcript provided by the White House. "When folks lift up their hoods on the cars of the future, I want them to see engines and batteries that are stamped: Made in America."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwTh-xXoQc

Holy **** balls. We invested $250 million in a company hoping to build a more environmentally friendly product that reduces our dependency on foreign oil and puts people to work while kick-starting up and coming technologies?

$250...MILLION!? Christ, we could have had almost two F-22 Raptors for that price!!

Edited by The Big Cat

Holy **** balls. We invested $250 million in a company hoping to build a more environmentally friendly product that reduces our dependency on foreign oil and puts people to work while kick-starting up and coming technologies?

$250...MILLION!? Christ, we could have had almost two F-22 Raptors for that price!!

This attitude is the entire reason that we can't have nice things.

Sometimes I genuinely wish I was a liberal so I could stand around talking about how easy it is to waste other people's money on bad products and ideas that nobody wants.

Sometimes I genuinely wish I was a liberal so I could stand around talking about how easy it is to waste other people's money on bad products and ideas that nobody wants.

And then blame others for them failing.

This attitude is the entire reason that we can't have nice things.

Ha, figured that would get everyone going a little bit. But, at least we can all agree that the F-22 Raptor is an equally colossal waste of money.

Oh boy, 'depedance on foreign oil' huh? How's your campaign to get the morons in Washington to drill for our own oil/gas right here in the US going?

The difference there is we'd actually have the airplanes. :doh:

Ha, figured that would get everyone going a little bit.

You didn't "get everyone going a little bit." You wrote something stupid in a forum where we like to mock stupid people. With BF4E away and only an occasional conner post, some of us appreciate the batting practice.

You didn't "get everyone going a little bit." You wrote something stupid in a forum where we like to mock stupid people. With BF4E away and only an occasional conner post, some of us appreciate the batting practice.

Would have stopped by a little more frequently myself, but I just got back from ye olde honeymoon!

Oh boy, 'depedance on foreign oil' huh? How's your campaign to get the morons in Washington to drill for our own oil/gas right here in the US going?

The difference there is we'd actually have the airplanes. :doh:

Oh yeah, they're really cool to look at, and the make really neat loud noises at air shows...but otherwise, are we really getting an ROI on those bad boys?

Oh yeah, they're really cool to look at, and the make really neat loud noises at air shows...but otherwise, are we really getting an ROI on those bad boys?

We would, if government accounting recognized the principle of "ROI". At the very least, they're depreciable assets.

Admittedly, it might be a vanishingly small ROI...but it's still larger than the ROI from handing out grants to doomed companies. (And really, how !@#$ed up is your corporate management when you go bankrupt making batteries for hybrid cars?)

See, that's the thing...

It's not like we've stopped the production of F-22 Raptors, or even decreased our orders for them, because we've chosen to become a poorly run venture capital firm. We're paying for just as many Raptors, and were pissing away additional billions investing in poorly structued business models that private industry investors won't touch with a ten foot pole because they aren't viable.