Is it even feasible to have another QB starting at NE in 3 weeks?

I'm assuming even if we did give TJ two weeks of 1st team reps, we wouldn't want to throw him in at Gillette with, possibly, first place on the line. So should we just assume that we are going to still be with Fitz? If so, during the bye week, do we completely blow up our playbook in terms of what we've been doing this year on offense, and gear it toward run heavy plays and throws FItz can make?

I'm wondering because if it's not a possibility for another QB to step in (and I don't think Thigpen is the answer), then why continue to plot the same course in terms of plays and schemes?

OR

Do we do something drastic over the bye week?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming even if we did give TJ two weeks of 1st team reps, we wouldn't want to throw him in at Gillette with, possibly, first place on the line. So should we just assume that we are going to still be with Fitz? If so, during the bye week, do we completely blow up our playbook in terms of what we've been doing this year on offense, and gear it toward run heavy plays and throws FItz can make?

Let me start by saying I don't understand the whole TJax trade at all. Why trade for a guy who's about to be cut, and we could likely claim off waivers given our wonderful record last year, if you aren't going to use him? Either he's way slower at picking up the playbook than they thought, or he passed the physical but is still hindered by last year's torn pec, or it was just a strange, strange move. I thought very well of TJax play last year, but essentially for his career, he's about what Fitz is: a capable, mid-tier QB who can play in the NFL, but falls short of being able to drive a pass-centric offense (he and Fitz were neck and neck statistically last year, except for TD and INT).

That said, IMO we should change what we've been doing this year on offense and gear it toward run heavy plays and throws Fitz can make regardless of who we're playing. We don't even need to blow up our playbook. We showed against KC and against the Browns, those plays are in there already and we can execute them.

Why continue to plot the same course in terms of plays and schemes? Beats the He** out of me, and puzzles me why people still speak so highly of Chan when he refuses to adjust his course to avoid the obvious lighthouse.

Edited by Hopeful

The only feasible option is Thigpen. You might be able to get Jackson on the field after the bye and only if you scale back the playbook way down. That might work for a game or two but NFL DCs will figure him out and we are back to where we are now.

Anyone remember what Thigpen looked like in the Lions pre season game? Yes, it's pre season, yada yada. But he was making some very accurate throws. It's what saved his job. He has to know Gailey's offense. Can he be any worse than Fitz right now?

PTR

Do you guys have any evidence that Jackson is struggling to learn the playbook? I have been assuming that they havent activated him because they dont want the 7th round pick they traded for him to turn into a 6th round pick (happens if he's active for more than 6 games)

Do you guys have any evidence that Jackson is struggling to learn the playbook? I have been assuming that they havent activated him because they dont want the 7th round pick they traded for him to turn into a 6th round pick (happens if he's active for more than 6 games)

There is no evidence either way, which means we are free to make up any conspiracy theories we want.

PTR

Cost benefits analysis:

Fitz calls a good game and his ability to help the O line by quick decision-making and through adjustments at the line of scrimmage are important skills. His arm is holding him and us back, no question.

TJackson (and, apparently, my mother-in-law) has a better arm. But does that outweigh the other stuff? Will he put his O line in a position to succeed? Will he make the right audibles, or even just not cost us timeouts because he doesn't know the playbook? Will his unfamiliarity with receivers and their routes mean that the benefit of his better arm is not going to be realized? (SJ seems to run somewhat unorthodox routes, at least getting off the line, so don't assume that he will easily mesh with a new QB.)

Chan is weighing these questions now, and it isn't clear to me what the answer is. It couldn't be any worse Fitz right now? Yes, as bad as he is playing (no excuses, it's bad), I could see how it well could be worse.

kj

IMO Fitz gives us no chance to win ANY game. We may win in spite of him but it will be tough. I can't say that about T Jax, at least not yet.

And no, it is completely feasible. Fitz could get hurt the first play against Tenn and Thiggy would play the whole game.

I'm wondering because if it's not a possibility for another QB to step in (and I don't think Thigpen is the answer), then why continue to plot the same course in terms of plays and schemes?

OR

Do we do something drastic over the bye week?

Gailey benched Trent Edwards after the GB week 2 loss in 2010 and proceeded to start Fitz the next week at NE with presumably less than adequate first team reps. Why is it that outrageous that TJack, after being on the roster for 7 weeks can't play?

i don't understand these threads...

Who is going to step in? Are we going to fly to Denver and kidnap Peyton Manning and make him play for us? We don't have an elite QB because we couldn't get one... Why would we start people lower in the depth chart? It would be a lateral move or step down for sure.

Edited by markgbe

Unfortunately we have Chan Gailey and it will be business as usual. Fitz' will play and Gailey wont even change his gameplan. He'll come out passing. Get stuck behind. Pass some more. Get more behind. Pull out some trick plays, cause hey, that'll catch them offguard. Get behind even more. Game over. Head into the presser saying he won't know for sure until he looks at the tape. Say he thought Futz did well and some adjustments need to be made (ya, your playcalling idiot). Say were still only 1 game out of 1st place, which is really like 3 games because it's another division loss. Say that Fagz gives us the best chance to win. Tell us that TJax probably won't see the field at all this year. Admist that he should have ran the ball more but because we came out passing we got down early and couldn't (even though we had it within 7 for over a half). And say that the media is the ones that say there is QB controversies and issues, say that Fartz is his guy and were sticking with him.

The end.

Gailey benched Trent Edwards after the GB week 2 loss in 2010 and proceeded to start Fitz the next week at NE with presumably less than adequate first team reps. Why is it that outrageous that TJack, after being on the roster for 7 weeks can't play?

Your thinking is logical and possibly the best defense I've seen towards Chan making a change. However at the time he was 2 weeks into his coaching job and it wasn't going to hurt him. Thus move however could get him fired. He's already in the hot seat if he doesn't get to the playoffs. His best bet might be to put in TJax (personally I believe this), or it might be to hope Fartz gets hot like the beginning of last year.

i would imagine that given the organizational history of ownsership making qb changes (flutie benched,)

and our coaching history of making qb changes (edwards benched,)

it wont be long that fitz is out there. i think it is the one thing holding this team back. there are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes of sports teams that don't make it to espn.com. if jackson and stevie start becoming friends, then jackson starts saying to stevie "man, fitzy is terrible, i got more game than this, when are they putting me in?" that sentiment can spread through the team like wildfire.

i think that may be happening - the players themselves have never looked more disgusted with fitz than this last week. freddy and stevie BOTH have had moments of looking incredulous on the field. it is very VERY rare that you get defensive shots of players looking bewildered with their own offensive plays - to see mario watching the game and looking exasperated tells me everything i need to know. once an idea takes hold in a group of people - "group think," - its impossible to get rid of. just like everyone hates a certain coworker, they could stand on a chair and say they discovered the cure for cancer, and a significant portion of the room would role their eyes.

these guys care about their job and what they do. not to mention, most have incentive laden contracts. fitz is going to start costing them money with his sh*tty qb play. im sure stevie or jackson has gone to gailey and asked for a change at qb already. once gailey feels like he's losing the locker room, the change will be made. the most logical time would be heading into the bye week, but it wouldnt surprise me to see fitz pulled if he has a bad couple of series against tennessee this week.

Edited by JohnnyGold

i would imagine that given the organizational history of ownsership making qb changes (flutie benched,)

and our coaching history of making qb changes (edwards benched,)

it wont be long that fitz is out there. i think it is the one thing holding this team back. there are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes of sports teams that don't make it to espn.com. if jackson and stevie start becoming friends, then jackson starts saying to stevie "man, fitzy is terrible, i got more game than this, when are they putting me in?" that sentiment can spread through the team like wildfire.

i think that may be happening - the players themselves have never looked more disgusted with fitz than this last week. freddy and stevie BOTH have had moments of looking incredulous on the field. it is very VERY rare that you get defensive shots of players looking bewildered with their own offensive plays - to see mario watching the game and looking exasperated tells me everything i need to know. once an idea takes hold in a group of people - "group think," - its impossible to get rid of. just like everyone hates a certain coworker, they could stand on a chair and say they discovered the cure for cancer, and a significant portion of the room would role their eyes.

these guys care about their job and what they do. not to mention, most have incentive laden contracts. fitz is going to start costing them money with his sh*tty qb play. im sure stevie or jackson has gone to gailey and asked for a change at qb already. once gailey feels like he's losing the locker room, the change will be made. the most logical time would be heading into the bye week, but it wouldnt surprise me to see fitz pulled if he has a bad couple of series against tennessee this week.

This could actually be the closest to the truth out of everything.

Losman was terrible. yup, to the bench.

Edwards was terrible. So yeah, bench.

Fitz... not terrible, more so just not good.

Behind him in the locker room there are two others guys who are not good.

I'm not sure at what point you bench someone who is not good for someone who is not good..... that is if we're looking to improve, not just change because we can.

Edited by markgbe