Good teams win close football games

The thing I find nutty is... the Cardinals took it to the Patriots, a team we got completely killed by.

Football and matchups will continue to confuse me.

thats why we all love it

I am not being negative I am just debunking one of the garbage cliches that announcers & espn brainwash everyone with. If you weren't such a sensitive Sally you would recognize that's what I was calling stupid - not you.

Point differential is a better indicator of future performance than record - that is a fact. It explain a lot of the "parity" in the league from year to year that seems to mystify everyone.

I agree with the fact the point differential is important and that why i hope we beat the titans by 20 because it will prove to you and everybody else we at least have a shot.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point differential is a better indicator of future performance than record - that is a fact. It explain a lot of the "parity" in the league from year to year that seems to mystify everyone.

Maybe. A quick look at recent Superbowl winners shows that 3 of the last six winners were among the elite in point differential while 3 of them weren't. The Giants were negative in point differential last year and only +22 when they won in 2008 (the 2007 season.) The Colts were the other team not in the elite with a differential of +67 which is a far cry from the +189 of San Diego, +152 of Baltimore, +148 of NE or the +172 of the Bears that year.

I didn't go back any further than 6 years so perhaps more samples would prove your point.

This should not have been a close game. The Bills should have won easily. How many rushing yards did Kolb have, like 70? How many times de he get flushed to his left to find no one over there. Tasker even commented about where Kelsey was lined up and why Kolb was picking up so many yards. After that happens a couple of times don't you move Kelsey or put a spy on Kolb? This is bad coaching.

Fitz has always been streaky but not just bad. Constantly throwing behind Johnson and missing a wide open Jackson. Is he worrying about his mechanics too much? There is another thread about missing Nelson that has some validity. So why not see what Easley has? Because we need roster spots for four QBs and a specialty kicker?

How about our new punter? Need I say Mooreman?

Which brings me to the Wildcat aka Drive Stopper. Does anyone believe that any DC in the NFL loses sleep over this formation?

This is a badly coached team in all fazes of the game. There is no accountability because there is no leadership.

This should not have been a close game. The Bills should have won easily. How many rushing yards did Kolb have, like 70? How many times de he get flushed to his left to find no one over there. Tasker even commented about where Kelsey was lined up and why Kolb was picking up so many yards. After that happens a couple of times don't you move Kelsey or put a spy on Kolb? This is bad coaching.

Fitz has always been streaky but not just bad. Constantly throwing behind Johnson and missing a wide open Jackson. Is he worrying about his mechanics too much? There is another thread about missing Nelson that has some validity. So why not see what Easley has? Because we need roster spots for four QBs and a specialty kicker?

How about our new punter? Need I say Mooreman?

Which brings me to the Wildcat aka Drive Stopper. Does anyone believe that any DC in the NFL loses sleep over this formation?

This is a badly coached team in all fazes of the game. There is no accountability because there is no leadership.

I don't think the bills are by any means elite, i just want them to be good...which is a step up from avergage

Maybe. A quick look at recent Superbowl winners shows that 3 of the last six winners were among the elite in point differential while 3 of them weren't. The Giants were negative in point differential last year and only +22 when they won in 2008 (the 2007 season.) The Colts were the other team not in the elite with a differential of +67 which is a far cry from the +189 of San Diego, +152 of Baltimore, +148 of NE or the +172 of the Bears that year.

I didn't go back any further than 6 years so perhaps more samples would prove your point.

Well the point was more about if you took two 8-8 teams, the team with +50 is more likely to be successful the following year than the -50 team.

In any case, was record any better of a predictor in those postseasons? The Giants also had a vastly inferior record to most of their postseason opponents in those years they won it all, as the Colts did in '06. So that doesn't exactly disprove the point.

Green Bay was a whole different animal than the other wildcard teams who have won it all. All six games they lost went down to the wire (many vs good teams on the road) - all of the metrics indicated they were much better than your average 10-6 team, which is why unlike the Giants, they were actually favored in 3 of their 4 playoff games despite being on the road (and only a tiny underdog @13-3 Atlanta).

The opposite of the 2010 Packers would be a team with a sparkling record & relatively mediocre PD - the 2008 12-4 Colts who lost to the 8-8 Chargers are a good example of that. I don't know when the last time a team of that ilk won it all - I would guess the '01 Patriots since that was the luckiest team in the history of sports.

Edited by BuffOrange

Shhhhhh!!!! Some of the Wildcat fans might hear you and spew out thier useless information that somehow is supposed to make the formation not only relevant but unstoppable.

The thing I find nutty is... the Cardinals took it to the Patriots, a team we got completely killed by.

Football and matchups will continue to confuse me.

One of the interesting things I read on this board recently was something to the effect "the transitive property (e.g. - whenever A > B and B > C, then also A > C) doesn't seem to apply to sports."

I can't remember who posted it but kudos to that person.

Sorry, but I want more than just a win. We've won games like this (some that come to mind are Jets in 09, Bengals in '10, Broncos last year). If this springboards us to a playoff run then yes, I will be more excited about this win. But if we turn around and lay an egg against the Titans next week, then it's really nothing to me. I want consistency and a regularly winning team.

Good team..., yeah maybe but we are two players away from being one of the upper teams in the league. For my first post I'm not stating nothing new but yet the same ol song. We need our franchise qb and our Patrick Willis of our D. Gotta love Fitz's grit but he just doesn't have IT. I wanted him to succeed but uhhhh. As for the D we need that firey outspoken leader a la Ray Lewis. There is talent on both sides of the ball but we need our William Wallace to lead each into battle! GO BILLS!!! And here's to hoping I'm wrong...

Maybe for the guys on the field, Good teams Do win close games.

I think thats a great statement. The team that guts it out and does not give in, to a man, in the end will win.

Thats what football used to be. a slow grind of survival until that one more yard for the first down with a bloodied nose and a fractured finger. Can you finish the game and do what it takes to get the W? thats what is all about in the end. Because the game is pass happy fun now we don't see the trenches where the real work is done

Good teams do win the close games

Don't kid yourself into thinking that we actually won the game. If not for the 38 yd FG miss, we would be crying right now. Chan did all he could to give them the game including the bogus punt from the 35. At this point, we were lucky not good in winning accidentally last night. We ordinarily lose that game in 9 out of 10 tries. No we are not good and will be fortunate to win 8 this year with a QB who has no arm.