Bills problem shown in preseason, show coaching problem

The Bills last 3 pre-season games of 2012:

Minnesota 36, Bills 14

Pittsburgh 38, Bills 7

Detroit 38, Bills 32

The preseason results this year were the canary in the coalmine—something fundamental was wrong with the Bills defense. The fearsome front four never showed and the defense, starters and all, looked unprepared.

I watched games this summer and said, “Yikes”. The players did not look like they knew what they were doing, confused, like little kids playing much bigger kids and getting stomped in a playground game. I had not seen that kind of consistently bad defense by the Bills since 1984 and 1985 when they were blown out on a regular basis.

But some rationalized to me that this was only the preseason, to ‘remember how many preseason games the Bills won under Levy’, and espoused Marv’s preseason philosophy. They said that this was the same mindset now, so nothing to worry about. I also read that teams don’t game plan much for preseason games. These answers made sense, as the Bills’ defense was surely dramatically better than this. After all, the Bills had showed in the off-season that they were committed to creating a great defense.

But as I continued to watch games this pre-season, teams steamrolled the Bills and sometimes with the Bills’ starters in there. In fact, sometimes it looked like the same defense whether it was backups or starters. When this happened, the Bills were a good college team playing an NFL team—completely outmatched.

This is how the Bills’ defense looks now—unprepared, both as individual players and as a team, with opposing clubs racking up astounding numbers of yards and points. It should be expected; it is not a coincidence that we saw the same things in the last 3 preseason games. They are the same things we saw against the Jets in the first game, with their 48 points, and last week with the Patriots’ 52 points, their 580 total yards and 6 second half touchdowns, and again witnessed this week with the Forty Niners’ 45 points and record 621 yards. Yikes. This team is unprepared on defense.

Wannstedt is not a big game coach now just like he was not at Pittsburgh. In the NFL, almost every game is a big game, that is the problem. In his last year at Pitt, the Panthers lost every one of their nationally televised games. His teams also had very few big wins. And they lost to inferior teams such as the Ohio University Bobcats, a much less talented team than the Panthers. In my view, they lost these games because they were unprepared. The Bills have been decimated in their big games this year, every one of them. Does anyone believe that Wannstedt is capable of righting this ship?

I know there is loyalty in the coaching ranks, but it should not be at the expense of the team. I think that the last thing Gailey would want to do to a friend is what was done to him in Kansas City, to humiliate him by firing him once things got started. But the team is what is important. A few weeks ago they cut Brian Moorman, a punter, after over 11 years of service because they felt his play was now detrimental to the team. Moorman was a dedicated and beloved member of the Bills’ community.

They made a change to improve the team. This is what a good team does. Dave Wannstedt’s defense, one with at least a decent amount of talent, is in free fall. The Bills are putting up almost no defense and are getting steamrolled, just like in the preseason, with record yards given up in the last two games. They are 31st in both yards and points allowed.

The defensive coordinator is much more integral to the team’s success than a punter. The Bills should say a respectful ‘thank you for your services’ to Wannstedt and move on. This simply has not worked out. They have given up1200 yards and 97 points in two weeks. Good players are playing very poorly. Marcell Dareus is now ranked as the worst defensive tackle in the NFL!? The Bills need to right the ship now before it sinks. Are you still watching, Ralph?

Edited by Mister Defense

It's more than just coaching, but players. We knew coming into this season that there was a big question at linebacker. It's proven to be an achilles heel. Unfortunately, you can't just coach away the lack of ability. You can of course change your strategies to limit those weaknesses, but this team has too many gaps to make that work.

There are a lot of smart players on the defense. And these smart players observe QB Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing INTs thus throwing games away.

So, why even bother trying hard if the team is just going to lose anyhow?

"Smart" players on defense? Really? They rank 31st overall. They're just bad.

I totally agree with the OP. In the preseason the excuse was that the defense was not game planning but they have looked il-prepared so far. Chan & Wanny have NO idea how to adjust or strategize the opponent during the game, IMO. There is no other way to explain how we make every mediocre QB we play look like a superstar. Chan, IMO doesn't call games that great either, he's at a crossroads with how to play Jackson & Spiller...I'd like to add my 2 cents.

1- create 2 offensive packages one with spiller using run & pass plays which he excels with. Do the same with jackson. The position on the field is important because it will dictate which player would start that series. These plays for each player would only add up to a handful but they would come from multiple variations just to keep the defence off balanced.

2- In red-zone & goal line situation I'd actually would line up both players. I'd line up Spiller off-set with jackson in-line where he's good with finding the hole between tackles. This would put spiller in position to threaten the edge and hold the DE/OLB to contain. This set helps open up the entire offense because it 1) slows the pursuit from the edge. 2) take a defended out of the hole between the tackles 3) playaction for quick slant to Stevie or Jones 4) seem pass to Chandler or swing pass to CJ.

Now this all depends upon how the defense begins to over play each set but that's film study and coaching but I'd rather attack a teams weakness to our alignment. IMO, this is not a practice by our coaching staff at this time.

This has been a season where we looked bad in the preseason then looked bad in all the same ways in the regular season. I've given up the excuse "well, it's just preseason" and won't bring it up in future years. It's not perfect, and there are plenty of years where the matchup isn't good. But the pattern for the past decade for the Bills is that we all get pumped up in July, watch them come out flat in August, make excuses, and watch them play exactly as flat in September. There are exceptions, but not enough of them for me to relax if we're losing by 20 points come August 2013.

In the meantime, though, I'm going to spend my time being worried about the 2012 regular season.

There are a lot of smart players on the defense. And these smart players observe QB Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing INTs thus throwing games away.

Have you ever played competitive team sports? If you have you would never have asked that question.

Among the reasons are:

1. Self interest- I know the offense is bad and destroys the prospects of this team winning games. Self interest says to me that this is a great opportunity for me to maximize defensive productivity and lead the team. We will not win the game because Fitzy is so bad but for me personally I look good.

2. Team interest- I know Fitzy is not good enough to win games, but to the extent I am interested in our team this is a call to my unit to lead us to the victories we can get. Sure I know other lower character people will give up but I have been trained as a competitor all my life and gotten a lot of plaudits for good team results produced in HS and college that another teammate falling apart is simply a call to my unit to maximize my play.

3.Fairness- I have been rightfully awarded more money than I even imagined (and I can imagine a lot) to win. Any sense of fairness about these gifts mandates maximum effort.

4. Guilt- I am,given huge $ to play a boys game and simple guilt demands maximum effort.

5. Fear- I do not want to get painted with the same brush Fitzy deserves. In fact, from pure self-interest I need to actually produce very little (stop the other team from having two 100 yard rushers) to see other folks blame it all on Fitzy

6. Etc etc.

In fact, the idea that the problems we have are all about Fitzy says more about the poster than about the reality of what the problems are.

Among the reasons are:

1. Self interest- I know the offense is bad and destroys the prospects of this team winning games. Self interest says to me that this is a great opportunity for me to maximize defensive productivity and lead the team. We will not win the game because Fitzy is so bad but for me personally I look good.

2. Team interest- I know Fitzy is not good enough to win games, but to the extent I am interested in our team this is a call to my unit to lead us to the victories we can get. Sure I know other lower character people will give up but I have been trained as a competitor all my life and gotten a lot of plaudits for good team results produced in HS and college that another teammate falling apart is simply a call to my unit to maximize my play.

3.Fairness- I have been rightfully awarded more money than I even imagined (and I can imagine a lot) to win. Any sense of fairness about these gifts mandates maximum effort.

4. Guilt- I am,given huge $ to play a boys game and simple guilt demands maximum effort.

5. Fear- I do not want to get painted with the same brush Fitzy deserves. In fact, from pure self-interest I need to actually produce very little (stop the other team from having two 100 yard rushers) to see other folks blame it all on Fitzy

6. Etc etc.

In fact, the idea that the problems we have are all about Fitzy says more about the poster than about the reality of what the problems are.

Well said and spot on.

It's more than just coaching, but players. We knew coming into this season that there was a big question at linebacker. It's proven to be an achilles heel. Unfortunately, you can't just coach away the lack of ability. You can of course change your strategies to limit those weaknesses, but this team has too many gaps to make that work.

I disagree here. Coaching is causing the players to look much much worse than they actually are. It's coaching, people. Or at least it starts there and then becomes the players fault as well.

There are NO leaders on this team and the defense is a soft as a bowl of Mari0's soaked in milk.

Fred Jackson was a leader on O - He seems to have lost that with his injury and the emergence of Spiller.

Who is going to step up and be a leader on this awful defense?? I don't see it happening wth the current roster. Coaching is an aspect of the failure but not entirely. NOBODY on this team gets fired up over the fact that the Bills are the laughing stock of the NFL. The way they play - no emotion, no fire, tells me they are just in it for the paycheck.

Edited by Azucho98

There are NO leaders on this team and the defense, Who is going to step up and be a leader on this awful defense?? NOBODY on this team gets fired up over the fact that the Bills are the laughing stock of the NFL. The way they play - no emotion, no fire, tells me they are just in it for the paycheck.

Let' hope Kyle Moore and Nigel Bradham can light a fire under their A$$"s and right the ship... Go Bills :thumbsup:

Let' hope Kyle Moore and Nigel Bradham can light a fire under their A$$"s and right the ship... Go Bills :thumbsup:

I know. Sometimes the injection of youth helps--they haven't had a chance to become saturated in the losing aura that surrounds this franchise. It's going to take guys who aren't used to losing to turn this around. It's unfortunate that our veterans seem to be the types that accept futility.

There are NO leaders on this team and the defense is a soft as a bowl of Mari0's soaked in milk.

Fred Jackson was a leader on O - He seems to have lost that with his injury and the emergence of Spiller.

Who is going to step up and be a leader on this awful defense?? I don't see it happening wth the current roster. Coaching is an aspect of the failure but not entirely. NOBODY on this team gets fired up over the fact that the Bills are the laughing stock of the NFL. The way they play - no emotion, no fire, tells me they are just in it for the paycheck.

Exactly right. Go back and look at the defense when Schobel was still playing. They played with fire and motivation. This defense is not motivated at all. To say that the team is talented enough when they've NEVER shown it is speculation at it's very best. 5.7 YPC allowed from opposing runners and 170+ yards just on the ground per game??? They can't look much worse than they have, so speculating that they may have the talent to compete is speculation at best. The Bills have a grand total of 10 sacks on the season and Kyle Williams has 3.5 of those. Our $100 million has 1.5. That's just awful. This was a front four that was speculated to become one of the better in the NFL and be able to get after the QB without linebacker help. They stink, period.

Seriously. I think Bradham was the only guy on the D who didn't give up last week. I hope he comes out strong today!

Speaking of MariO's, how totally presumptuous of TOPS to make this cereal before he even played. Flutie Flakes weren't manufactured until after he won us games.

Submit too TSW accucasters definition of pre season games. They are nothing but scrimmages, with such complex offense and defensive schemes employed by Gailey and crew. They're running their "vanilla" offense and defense only in pre season , They do this so, they don't tip their hand before the season starts.Thus, not Allowing other teams to "figure them out".

How else does such a powerhouse called the Buffalo Bills football gonna do it?