Bills problem shown in preseason, show coaching problem

I agree OP. I also made a post after watching the rediculous debacle of the last drive of the first half in the Pit game that went 90+ yards. All I ever heard was "it's preseason, they didn't gameplan, Marv never win preseason games either". That's all besides the points made though. They looked absolutely horrendous. During that drive I KNEW we were not going to be as good as everyone thought on defense. Even if those people were realistic and expected us to be average. We are putting up record numbers against us. It's absolutely sickening. It's Wannys fault. Of course we don't have all the talent in the world, but we have enough to not be the laughing stock of the league. What's the big difference? Wanny.

The only preseason game I had some worries after was Pittsburgh. The total lack of pressure on the last drive before the half gave me a queazy feeling that the front four weren't all that. And that has proven to be true.

But this team has some very solid talent on defense. I would agree that they have weaknesses, at linebacker and with a young secondary that has little experience, especially at the corner spots.

But, the first team to allow 2 one hundred yard receivers and 2 one hundred yard running backs one week, and the next, the first time a defense in NFL history gives up 300 hundred yards on the ground and in the air? They are dramatically better than this.

It's the coaching; the same reason fans railed against Wannstendt at Pittsburgh. He is done, is just collecting a paycheck now.

Look at Alex Smith, considered a complete bust at QB before Harbaugh came to SanFran, and now because of coaching, a leader of one of the best teams in the NFL and an integral part.

With a good coach, or just a competent one NOW, this team can compete again. But NOW, not in five weeks, not after the season, or this will be just another lost season.

Edited by Mister Defense

With a good coach, or just a competent one NOW, this team can compete again. But NOW, not in five weeks, not after the season, or this will be just another lost season.

Now that we are going into week 6 of the season, how we have played this season, and let's just throw in the fact that Ralph is going to kick the bucket and the future of this team is uncertain... Just where would you find the savior of our season now? I'm honestly quite curious of the answer... What's your prospects?

Now that we are going into week 6 of the season, how we have played this season, and let's just throw in the fact that Ralph is going to kick the bucket and the future of this team is uncertain... Just where would you find the savior of our season now? I'm honestly quite curious of the answer... What's your prospects?

Doug Flutie?

preseason means nothing. its always meant nothing and will always mean nothing. the list of teams that either did really good or really bad in preseason only to completely reverse everything when the games counted is longer than the historic number of yards this ridiculously bad bills defense is giving up. so from a rational historical perspective, simply saying that those results are an indicator of these results is nonsense. yeah, this team has been epic bad the last two games and against the jests. in reality, that has nothing to do with preseason

If I played on the defense of this team, just before a game I would put a band-aid on my knee and then tell Chan Gailey that I have a boo-boo and can't play today.

Then sit back and watch Fitz throw 4 interceptions while thinking about all the money that I make.

Yup!

Sometimes I hate this board. This is one of those times.

preseason means nothing. its always meant nothing and will always mean nothing. the list of teams that either did really good or really bad in preseason only to completely reverse everything when the games counted is longer than the historic number of yards this ridiculously bad bills defense is giving up. so from a rational historical perspective, simply saying that those results are an indicator of these results is nonsense. yeah, this team has been epic bad the last two games and against the jests. in reality, that has nothing to do with preseason

Your absolutely correct in saying that pre season means absolutely nothing as far as win/loss records. However, if you watched them and watched how horrifically bad they were in much of the pre season, you could catch a glimpse of how overrated they were. By the Bills, by the fans, and by the media and experts. Even though it might not mean they were better than what we saw, in this case it shows they were what we saw. So depending on how you saw them, you could see troubles. As I said previously, I noticed that drive and was reminded of the same defense that lost the Monday nighter to Dallas a few years ago. Bend but don't break has been our philosophy for too long. Wanted or not, that's what we've had. And we just bend 99 yards all the damn time. They have no fire from the coaches all the way on down. If they don't make changes starting today, there will surely be changes at the end of the year when it all gets blown up again.

I disagree here. Coaching is causing the players to look much much worse than they actually are. It's coaching, people. Or at least it starts there and then becomes the players fault as well.

Take it even a step further. The problem with the Bills starts with Ralph Wilson. The Buffalose Bills have the unfortunate privilege of having this doofus as the head of the lousy Bills organization.

This is exactly what I was saying during the preseason. I said that with so many players so far out of position game in & game out - either our defensive schemes were complete garbage or we were sand-bagging for the regular season. I am sad to say that we were not sand-bagging - Wanny really is that clueless. There is no need to have him on the team any longer. Wanny is a proven liability. It will be interesting to see if Wanny & Fitz end up costing Chan his job.

I wouldn't mind seeing Perry Fewell has headcoach.

I wouldn't mind seeing Perry Fewell has headcoach.

I'll second that... He kept our defense competitive, did pretty decent taking over mid season when he was interim HC. Just look what he's done with the Giants D, the one we were starting to imitate. I was hoping he would have been the choice instead of Gailey

Edited by TX BillsFan

There are a lot of smart players on the defense. And these smart players observe QB Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing INTs thus throwing games away.

So, why even bother trying hard if the team is just going to lose anyhow?

Of all the excuses for crap play, this is the one that makes absolutely the least sense to me. I hope you're wrong, because if you're write it would mean we have a bunch of diaper-wearing Mama's boys who pout and whine that they won't clean up their room because Sister knocked their blocks over. That kind of excuse went out of style in kindergarden. It's absolutely inappropriate in the NFL.

Let's have a quiz, Pearl. How many INTs did Fitzpatrick throw during the 3rd Q vs NE when the Bills went from a 2 TD lead to being behind by a TD on three successive length of the field drives?

It's more than just coaching, but players. We knew coming into this season that there was a big question at linebacker. It's proven to be an achilles heel. Unfortunately, you can't just coach away the lack of ability. You can of course change your strategies to limit those weaknesses, but this team has too many gaps to make that work.

Wouldn't it at least make sense to change things up and see if a different grouping of LB could make a difference?

I'll second that... He kept our defense competitive, did pretty decent taking over mid season when he was interim HC. Just look what he's done with the Giants D, the one we were starting to imitate. I was hoping he would have been the choice instead of Gailey

At the time he was the better pick. But he never had a chance with all the Jauron stink on the team.

Also, he would most likely laugh if offered another job with this management.

I have no idea who is availble, but almost ANYONE is better than this imbecile. He should be fired at halftime.

Chris Johnson, all world, again, when playing a team coached by this yahoo. The Bills have virtually no chance

being a successful team as long as this man is the defensive coach.