Bills – 49ers Flashback: Battle of future Hall of Fame QBs

Jim Gehman

The Bills and 49ers have met in San Francisco on six occasions, with each team earning three victories. One of Buffalo’s wins occurred 20 years ago, and was a game that ol’ No. 12 will never forget.

Showdown in San Francisco

Jim Kelly had many special games under center for Buffalo. But when the Bills traveled west on September 13, 1992, to meet the San Francisco 49ers, he was spectacular! As was his counterpart, Steve Young.

Kelly completed 22 of 33 pass attempts for an NFL career-high 403 yards and three touchdowns, two to tight end Pete Metzelaars and one to running back Thurman Thomas. Young, meanwhile, passed for a career-high 449 yards and three touchdowns. The teams combined for 1,086 yards of offense, the fourth-highest total in league history. However, they did get into the NFL’s record book by playing in a game where, for the first time, no punts were attempted by either team. The Bills won, 34-31, for their second of four victories to open the season.

"It was one of the most exciting games I’ve ever played in," said Kelly. "When you don’t punt, either team, and you rack up as many yards as we did and wind up winning the game, we were very fortunate. Andre [Reed] was a key. Of course, Kent Hull was a key and Thurman was a big key. But as far as the passing game, Andre was my man. He was the guy that I knew to go to in certain situations. I knew that he was the guy that not many could handle one-on-one on the inside. He was my go-to man, without a doubt!

"Pete was a guy that if I was ever in trouble, I knew I could look for that big ol’ frame, and he was going to be there. He ran the best routes probably of anybody on the team. Not much as far as run after catch, but Pete was one of those guys who was Mr. Reliable. We were on the same page every single play."

As far as what turned out to be a Quarterback Challenge that was not a made-for-television event and did not involve trying to hit a target on a moving golf cart? "I remember playing him [Young] in the USFL, too," recalled Kelly. "‘The Greatest Game That Nobody Saw’ was the Sports Illustrated caption. We dueled out in Los Angeles, and the final score was like, 38-35, or something like that. They [L.A. Express] were beating us [Houston Gamblers] by three touchdowns, and we came back to beat them. Every time I played against Steve Young it was a battle."

Excerpt from “Then Levy Said to Kelly…”

Great stuff, Jim!

We need to rank the all-time greatest Bills games.

Obviously both AFL Championship Games… and the first Super Bowl has to be included… The Comeback Game… and this one which I call the "No Punt Game" because as you pointed out, it was the first game in NFL history in which neither team punted. The AFC Championship Game win against the Raiders (51-3) is right up there too.

I guess besides the first Super Bowl there were some great losses too… obviously The Music City Miracle comes to mind as does the 1999 AFC Wildcard loss to the Dolphins which was a great game ending on the Trace Armstrong sack/strip of Flutie.

Anyone remember the last game of 1980? Bills in SF needing the win to win AFC East, SF going nowhere. Piece of cake,right? Nope SF kept it a one score game. Last 3 plays of the game were Montana, inside the 20, throwing darts in the end zone.

My fingernails have never recovered.

Wow, good memory. We were there in that end zone. In the rain. Hundreds of Bills fans there. I remember saying Montana (rookie year I think) was going to be good one.

Come to think about it. Didn't DeBerg start that game? It may have been his last if my cloudy memory is correct.

Edited by Best Player Available

This was one of my most memorable games growing up.

I always thought it ironic that we would always beat the NFC contenders during the regular season--including Dallas--but would lose to them in the Super Bowl.

I was just thinking the same thing, this game will always be in my memory as well!

Wow, good memory. We were there in that end zone. In the rain. Hundreds of Bills fans there. I remember saying Montana (rookie year I think) was going to be good one.

Come to think about it. Didn't DeBerg start that game? It may have been his last if my cloudy memory is correct.

I dunno who started but I know who finshed. Man was I glad when that game was over. It was supposed to be easy!

This was one of my most memorable games growing up.

I always thought it ironic that we would always beat the NFC contenders during the regular season--including Dallas--but would lose to them in the Super Bowl.

Ironic indeed. Hadn't thought of that.

Anyone remember the last game of 1980? Bills in SF needing the win to win AFC East, SF going nowhere. Piece of cake,right? Nope SF kept it a one score game. Last 3 plays of the game were Montana, inside the 20, throwing darts in the end zone.

That was Montana's rookie year wasn't it? That Chuck Knox team was quite good and if I recall correctly this was the game before the other infamous loss where Fergy valiantly hobbled around on a bad ankle and the Bills ultimately lost on a late 4th quarter pass from Fouts to Ron Smith. Many Bills fans think that edition of the Bills was a Super Bowl team with a healthy Fergy.

The Bills-Chargers game was in the divisional round… the Bills had a first round bye because they won the AFC East that year.

Ironic indeed. Hadn't thought of that.

That was Montana's rookie year wasn't it? That Chuck Knox team was quite good and if I recall correctly this was the game before the other infamous loss where Fergy valiantly hobbled around on a bad ankle and the Bills ultimately lost on a late 4th quarter pass from Fouts to Ron Smith. Many Bills fans think that edition of the Bills was a Super Bowl team with a healthy Fergy.

The Bills-Chargers game was in the divisional round… the Bills had a first round bye because they won the AFC East that year.

Yeah they where good that year. I believe that was the year they beat the Miami jinx and everyone was pretty high on their prospects. Speaking of Knox, I will always wonder how the SB years would have gone if they retained him to work with all that talent. Ground Chuck or not, I believe he was a better HC than Marv.

I was at that game, by some fluke of fate, while I was living in the Bay Area in my 20s, and will never forget it. People around me and those streaming out of the stadium all sensed they had witnessed a (regular season) game for the ages. If I remember correctly it set an NFL record for no punts in a game, but the thing is it wasnt as if the defenses were bad, in fact they were pretty darn good. It was just two HOF QBs guiding offensive machines at the top of their game and everyone wanted to watch including the D. I also had the privilege of watching Jope Montanas last game at home as a 49er the year before against Barry Sanders.

What about an injured Fergy taking down Montana in 1980 in a monsoon to seal the team's first NFL division crown. No one gives that one any credit.

Nice thread but it's kind of sad that the best part of being a Bills fan is reminiscing. I'd like to have the team create some new "Glory Days".

OK...In the past twelve years...Obviously no playoff games...

31-0 to open the season against the Patriots - This has to be the most memorable game for us in the past decade.

Last years game against Denver, where we dismantled the Tebow magic.

Again a game against Denver a couple of years ago when we won with Trent Edwards

Last years whacking of the Redskins in Toronto with 9 sacks was pretty enjoyable

Rob Johnsons's game against Kansas City Chiefs

J.P Losman's game against the Houston Texans (Last play TD)

Trent Edwards game against the Redskins (Won by Lindells FG, Sean Taylors memorial game)

Those three games gave us hope that we may have just found our future franchise QB....only to fall apart later......Sigh!

Edited by ganesh

I recall a 49ers at Bills game in 1997 or 1998 that I went to. It was like game 5 or 6 and Bills were not doing so well. 49ers were in their heyday with Steve Young and Ken Norton Jr etc. Bills trounced 'em. RJ had a great game. I will be wearing by Rob Johnson jersey tomorrow to try to conjure up some of that mojo. go Bills!!