#1 or #2 ???

T master

You know , although i have a great fondness for Stevie J & think he is a good player for the Bills when i look at other games & see some of the plays that other receivers make i can't help but think ..

Is Stevie a true #1 ???

When you look at Megatron , or Welker & Gronk or Julio Jones , does Stevie compare in the respect of when it's crunch time & you need that catch is he the " GO TO GUY " ??

I think he is in B/lo but would he be in G- Bay or any Tampa or is it just our scheme that makes me think this way ??

Or do there QB's make them guys better ? Would a better QB make our own Stevie J the "#1" that we call him & get rid of the question i ask you other fans !!

I know this has been talked about it in the past to a certain extent & i apologize for returning to it , but after seeing some of the other replays of the games this past week & the catches that were made the question just came back to me & i had to revisit it with you all ..

I think Stevie is a #1 on quite a few teams in the NFL (including ours)...the thing is, he wouldn't be a #1 in Texas, Atlanta, Detroit, Arizona and some other places. Just because Megatron is better than Stevie doesn't automatically make Stevie a #2 in my eyes. He's good enough to be a #1 but he's just not a premier WR imo - he's not physical enough or fast enough to compete with the Fitzgeralds/Megatrons of the world (not knocking him really) but few are. I think Stevie is good enough to win with. We just haven't had much else in terms of WR depth the last couple of years..bunch of scrubs really. Hopefully Graham can develope into a nice 1A/2 WR...

Is Fitzpatrick a number one quarterback? The answer is NO! Is Chan Gailey a number one coach? The answer is NO! My prediction is the Bills will win 3 more games and end the season 5-11, at least dick went 7-9?

Edited by Buffalo 66

I think Stevie is a #1 on quite a few teams in the NFL (including ours)...the thing is, he wouldn't be a #1 in Texas, Atlanta, Detroit, Arizona and some other places. Just because Megatron is better than Stevie doesn't automatically make Stevie a #2 in my eyes. He's good enough to be a #1 but he's just not a premier WR imo - he's not physical enough or fast enough to compete with the Fitzgeralds/Megatrons of the world (not knocking him really) but few are. I think Stevie is good enough to win with. We just haven't had much else in terms of WR depth the last couple of years..bunch of scrubs really. Hopefully Graham can develope into a nice 1A/2 WR...

---^ this

there's a big difference between a #1 WR on a tram and one of the best WRs in the league.

Megatron

Fitzgerald

Welker

Johnson

Marshall

these guys are not your average run of the mill #1s. These guys are a once in every 10+ years type of WRs. The last time we had guys of these abilities at WR in the league were Moss, Owens, etc...

We haven't had guys this good in between these years for the most part. Before the Owens and Moss types you had Carter, Reed, Rice. Before that there was Monk, Brown, Largeant.

These guys don't grow in trees. They come around once In a while. We shouldn't be jumping off bridges because Stevie isn't as good as Megatron or Fitz. Most aren't and most teams don't have anyone like these guys. And fwiw, the Lions only picked WR as fhier 1st round pick 3 times in a few years to get that guy. The other 2 guys are out of the league now. That should tell anyone how hard it is to find that guy.

AJ Green is catching balls from a pretty average QB in Andy Dalton, and he may already be a top 3 receiver in the league. I think Stevie would be one of the best #2's around, but he is a middle of the pack #1. Like others said, he is not big and fast enough to just go get the ball no matter where it's thrown. His numbers would be better with a better QB though, for instance the 40 yard TD he should have had last week when he was 10 yards in the open and Fitz chucked it out of bounds.

He actually would be an outstanding #3 WR for a top receiving corps, a good # 2 WR for a good receiving corps, and a serviceable #1 WR for a below average receiving corps (which is his situation by the way).

A corolarry to some of the comments above: How does Megatron look with Fitz throwing him the ball?

kj

Better than Stevie, because he might actually be able to catch some of the ridiculous overthrows. But I get your point.

Sure, Stevie would have better stats and be held in higher regards if he had a better QB. BUT, what if he was playing with a QB worse than Fitz? Trent Edwards for instance. He'd likely be journeyman free agent at this point of his career if Fitz didn't pick him as a favorite target.

I've never understood the whole "what it takes to be a #1"... to me a #1 is simply if they are the primary target in the passing game.

If SJ is the primary target most of the time, he's our #1. If he's not, it's someone else. I couldn't care less as long as whomever it is is productive. SJ makes plenty of plays for us. He's not as flashy as big, fast, athletic guys. But no mistake about it, he makes plays.

AJ Green is catching balls from a pretty average QB in Andy Dalton, and he may already be a top 3 receiver in the league. I think Stevie would be one of the best #2's around, but he is a middle of the pack #1. Like others said, he is not big and fast enough to just go get the ball no matter where it's thrown. His numbers would be better with a better QB though, for instance the 40 yard TD he should have had last week when he was 10 yards in the open and Fitz chucked it out of bounds.

I'm not sure I'd call Dalton average, he's been very good since starting as a rookie.

A corolarry to some of the comments above: How does Megatron look with Fitz throwing him the ball?

kj

So you're saying Stevie isn't as good as quite possibly the best receiver since Jerry Rice?

Yeah, i think we knew that...

I'm not sure I'd call Dalton average, he's been very good since starting as a rookie.

So you're saying Stevie isn't as good as quite possibly the best receiver since Jerry Rice?

Yeah, i think we knew that...

Not to derail this thread, but I can think of about 12 QB's clearly better than Dalton (not including Newton, RGIII, or Luck, all of whom I would take over Dalton in a heartbeat). I think he falls in the area of 15th-18th best in the league with guys like Schaub, Vick, Bradford. So to me that's average. I like him, and I'll take him over our guy to be sure, but I think he is a middle of the pack guy.