1st Debate in Denver Tonight: Thoughts?

dayman

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Clinton....it helped that he was a successful 3? term(I know 2 for sure) Democratic gov...in a Republican state.

Actually, I don't think that can be overstated.

Romney may be garbage to you...but, he is garbage that got a lot done as a Republican...in THE Democratic state.

In fact, I think any candidate should get a +5 for being able to get things done in a contentious State.

I think it depends on the person...but...we should also be very wary of those who come from "machine" states....like Bush, Texas, and Obama, Illinois.

Quoted for truth.

And I'll give Romney this...he was successful at making things happen, as a moderate Republican, in a state controlled by Democrats. His ideological stances have hardened a bit since then (whether sincerely or opportunistically remains the question and is why I don't like him personally). However he has shown a willingness to accommodate and be conciliatory.

All hyperbole aside, I can't support him because I can never know if he successful politically because he was moderate and changed ideologically when that context was no longer necessary or if he is moderate and never fundamentally changed, but is more rigid because the circumstances necessitate it now. Or is it a combination of both?

Everytime I think of him I think of that confounding crocodile paradox:

"If a crocodile steals a dog and promises its return if the owner can correctly guess what the crocodile will do, how should the crocodile respond in the case that the owner correctly guesses that the dog will not be returned?

That is what Mitt Romney does to me. He is an enigmatic fellow who I've ascribed insincerity to.

If the Congress of 1932...could see the power that is wielded by this one? I don't think they could fathom it.

However, I agree that the Czar system is a direct contravention of Congressional power....and that would should look to get rid of all of them...and reorganize our departments and agencies instead. Appointed Czars is a direct challenge to the Constitution.

You may want to check out your history on that FDR thing. Here: http://www.ssa.gov/h...y/fdrstmts.html

Truman is credited...wrongly. It was absolutely a phrase coined by FDR. Look, idiots abound, and one on them told you about Truman saying this...it's even on wiki :wallbash:. Just because Truman said it more often, or more prominently, doesn't mean he coined it.

I didn't coin: "If you want something done right, put the far-left in charge of doing the opposite".

With an 11% approval rating....I'd say this Congress has plenty to fear.

Reminds me of the little anecdote credited to Truman, Roosevelt, Wilson, and likely every President in-between...

President Wilson is walking down the street and is accosted by an elderly lady who very enthusiastically tells him that he is a horrible person, a pathetic politician and that he is ruining the country.

As the lady leaves abruptly and Wilson and his advisors continue about their way, Wilson looks at them and says:

"Put her down as undecided."

I've heard that anecdote 3 different times about as many presidents and it probably never happened.

Quoted for truth.

And I'll give Romney this...he was successful at making things happen, as a moderate Republican, in a state controlled by Democrats. His ideological stances have hardened a bit since then (whether sincerely or opportunistically remains the question and is why I don't like him personally). However he has shown a willingness to accommodate and be conciliatory.

All hyperbole aside, I can't support him because I can never know if he successful politically because he was moderate and changed ideologically when that context was no longer necessary or if he is moderate and never fundamentally changed, but is more rigid because the circumstances necessitate it now. Or is it a combination of both?

Everytime I think of him I think of that confounding crocodile paradox:

"If a crocodile steals a dog and promises its return if the owner can correctly guess what the crocodile will do, how should the crocodile respond in the case that the owner correctly guesses that the dog will not be returned?

That is what Mitt Romney does to me. He is an enigmatic fellow who I've ascribed insincerity to.

Reminds me of the little anecdote credited to Truman, Roosevelt, Wilson, and likely every President in-between...

President Wilson is walking down the street and is accosted by an elderly lady who very enthusiastically tells him that he is a horrible person, a pathetic politician and that he is ruining the country.

As the lady leaves abruptly and Wilson and his advisors continue about their way, Wilson looks at them and says:

"Put her down as undecided."

I've heard that anecdote 3 different times about as many presidents and it probably never happened.

So you're not voting for Obama or Romney. Are you voting for someone else or not voting at all?

If Mitt can bring a handkerchief to the debates, BO should be allowed to bring his TelePrompTer. Yes, that and a BigWheels should be enough for him to cope with that big bad meanie Mitt.

Well, maybe he could use a new binkie and a fresh change of his diapers too.

This is parody.

I am stating this right out, because I believe that several of the libs on this board will not realize it.

Fact Check: Multiple Romney Falsehoods During Debate

Washington. A fact check of claims made by Mitt Romney during Wednesday’s domestic-policy debate shows numerous falsehoods, the magnitude of which could damage the electoral prospects of the Republican challenger. The three most egregious misrepresentations are as follows:

23 million Americans are out of work.” False. Barrett Blankenship of the Bureau of Labor Statistics states that Romney’s claim is unequivocally false. “The September jobs data show that because of the upward revisions to the July and August numbers, only 22.97 million are out of work,” Blankenship said. “Romney’s failure to acknowledge that is, frankly, disturbing.”

“I have five boys.” False. A detailed analysis by forensics expert Richard Englehardt of a video clip from a hidden camera at the Republican National Convention reveals to a high degree of certitude that at least some of Romney’s sons appear to be at least 18 years of age and thus, in most states, of the age of majority.

You don’t pick winners and losers. You pick losers.” False. A review of a 2009 Sportscenter broadcast on ESPN, shows President Obama correctly selecting the winner of the Georgetown–Maryland match-up in the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Confronted outside the Romney home, conservatively valued at $122 billion, a spokesman for the Romney campaign conceded the validity of the fact-check analysis. “What can I say?’ He shrugged. ”You nailed us.”

In contrast, experts agree that all of the statements made by President Obama during the debate were 100 percent accurate, except those made while laboring under extreme hypoxia or simple indifference.

U.N ambassador Susan Rice, whose reputation for accuracy is well-chronicled, expressed alarm. “The scale of Romney’s prevarications is shocking and indefensible. There’s a serious risk that his lies will spark spontaneous violence in the Middle East. It’s clear the governor has no reservations about abusing the free-speech privileges granted by this administration. I’m perplexed as to why he hasn’t already been arrested on a probation violation.”

RomneyCheatSheet2.jpg

My list would be:

1) Prepare for debate

2) Wait for Obama to "X"

3) Be secretly shocked that Obama fails to say "X" either at all or well

4) Say whatever the hell you want and forget you prepared b/c wtf is this

5) Hug family and walk of the stage victorious

6) Call Paul and tell his ass he better not lose to freaking Biden or you bring in Palin

7) Sleep easy for the first time in a month

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/10/05/leno-debate-ratings-only-person-who-didnt-tune-i-think-was-obama#ixzz28SwLa4VM

LENO: They're saying close to 60 million people may have watched the debate. In fact, the only person who didn't tune in, I think, was President Obama. What happened? [Laughter] Even Tony Romo was going, “What happened?”

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/10/05/leno-debate-ratings-only-person-who-didnt-tune-i-think-was-obama#ixzz28TehR2AS

http://newsbusters.o...a#ixzz28SwLa4VM

LENO: They're saying close to 60 million people may have watched the debate. In fact, the only person who didn't tune in, I think, was President Obama. What happened? [Laughter] Even Tony Romo was going, “What happened?”

Read more: http://newsbusters.o...a#ixzz28TehR2AS

LOL. Actually a legit LOL when reading that. Poor Romo (and Obama)

Edited by TheNewBills

LOL. Actually a legit LOL when reading that. Poor Romo (and Obama)

It was only a debate and bho will win the election.

Chances are he'll also have a much better showing next time around.

Don't feel so sorry for this empty suit.

It was only a debate and bho will win the election.

Chances are he'll also have a much better showing next time around.

Don't feel so sorry for this empty suit.

He's being compared to Romo. I would feel sorry for Romney also. No man deserves that.