Herm Edwards: Buffalo Bills Defense Is "Enigmatic"

HOUSE

ESPN analyst (and former NFL head coach) Herm Edwards doesn't have terribly nice things to say about the Buffalo Bills' defense after Sunday's 52-28 loss, but warns that there isn't yet concrete evidence to write the group off as a bad unit... yet.

more

http://www.buffaloru...rm-edwards-espn

Edited by HOUSE

"The Bills' defense has talent, but that talent is mitigated when the opposition can use the whole playbook while playing from ahead," says Edwards. "The Bills' offense simply has to make fewer mistakes."

Yep...

not buying that one, when teams are ahead they are more conservative. Our D has looked decent all year even in the Jets Game, the problem Sunday was playing in the dime all day allowing 10 yds a run .

Enigmatic? I don't think so, the defense has some talent but one thing it lacks is guys who make WRs and TEs hear footsteps, RBs look for a soft spot , and make OLinemen want to quit. As far as I see the only nasty on this team is the center to RT of our offense line- it's not like NE is filled with them but Wilfork, Hightower and Spikes were trying to hurt people , their OL really beat our DL in physicality- Searcy and Bradham can both hit but neither are going to get in very much.

You can't have a quarterback that throws 7 interceptions in 2 division games. Can't fumble on the goal line. Can't allow opposing team to score on 6 consecutive drives.

I see a lot of blame going to the offense... specifically Fitz. Bottom line... offense sells tickets, defense wins championships. Right now the offense is ranked 11th, the defense 27th. Would you rather have it the other way around? I don't give a damn how many turnovers you have, good defenses limit the damage...stops, field goals, not TDs. Time of possession was pretty much equal, so the defense can't use that as an excuse. Three consecutive TD drives in the second half without any turnovers. 250 yards given up on the ground. You'd think the Bills fielded an NCAA Div. III defense. The onus is 98% in the defense, That's where the money and new construction went. The defense will make or break this team. The offense is putting up points.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

You can't have a quarterback that throws 7 interceptions in 2 division games. Can't fumble on the goal line. Can't allow opposing team to score on 6 consecutive drives.

This was the killer. Going up 21-7 at the half would have been a HUGE boost, but that killed a ton of momentum.

I'm more wondering about the pass-rushing...I thought this front 4 would have been able to put some pressure on the QB by themselves, but where was the blitzing? I saw none of that and Brady had all day for the majority of the game. Didn't the Giants show the world how to beat Brady with pressure up the middle?

Edited by BuffaloWings

So we are up 21-7 with 11 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter...but somehow New England could use the whole play book cause" early deficits have put both the offense and defense in a bind". Okay...he be the expert.

EXACTLY! The O didnt cause the D woes Sunday. The D INABILITY to stop anything NE threw or ran at them was the problem. The Pats scored on 7 CONSECUTIVE series in the 2nd half.

This was the killer. Going up 21-7 at the half would have been a HUGE boost, but that killed a ton of momentum.

I'm more wondering about the pass-rushing...I thought this front 4 would have been able to put some pressure on the QB by themselves, but where was the blitzing? I saw none of that and Brady had all day for the majority of the game. Didn't the Giants show the world how to beat Brady with pressure up the middle?

Giants rarely blitzed, and again they won the SB AFTER brady hurt his shoulder he doesnt hurt his shoulder he continues picking them apart as well.

\

finally this answers the age old question, "does herman edwards understand what the word 'enigmatic' means?"

I remember my english teachers always said, if you're having trouble figuring out what a word means, take a look at the words around it, try to figure out its definition from the context.

So, using that strategy, I can only infer that "enigmatic" means "craptacular."

My view is that 3 of those were situational driven. The tip isn't a bad throw.....its an unfortunate play that happens. The last two were really after the game was way out of reach...he was trying to make a play when it wasn't there. A long incompletion would have been better, but at that stage he had to try to force something to happen. More bothersome to me that the int statistics were me misses on the long throws. Other than the long one to Fred, Fitz missed short two or three times and long once on the home run ball. He has to hit that some...and he didn't THAT is my real concern!!!!!