what do you think of our 10th pick?

Damond Talbot

Let me first start this off, by apologizing to you all. I thought that Aaron Williams and Stephon Gilmore would be better than all other rookies and while in the first week that is not true by any means, I'm sorry. I thought the Bills were going to get a pass rush, but check out this article on the Bills

http://nomorelinks.com/draft-news/10th-pick-gilmore-looked-lost-in-coverage-at-times-yesterday-for-the-bills/

I disagree with you. The jests had Sanchesse throw the ball very quick. Our CBs were playing way off and so were our safeties. And It seems bump and run is a legal thing with the refs this year. I don't know why, Barnet had a bad game and Shep and Moats are only good in the run game, both are very suspect at pass coverage. I wonder why Nigel wasn't used and Morrison was inactive. It couldn't have been worse.

Williams (theCB) basically played the way he did last year and Gilmore.... well, it was his first game. I kind of expected as much.

McGee came in for McKelvin in the 2nd half and looked still injured but McKelvin was so really terrible, even injured and a step behind he was better.

Let me first start this off, by apologizing to you all. I thought that Aaron Williams and Stephon Gilmore would be better than all other rookies and while in the first week that is not true by any means, I'm sorry. I thought the Bills were going to get a pass rush, but check out this article on the Bills

http://nomorelinks....-for-the-bills/

I get it...you are linking us to an article that you wrote...the same one you linked in the shoutbox...should we give Gilmore the electric chair, or crucify him on a cross? Just stop...

Damond - even though your last post about if we have the best CB duo in the NFL was premature, I knew where you were coming from. It would make sense. This article touches on why the CB's had a tough day. They have some serious growing pains to get through but I can see them both being reliable CB's mid season.

While I can definitely agree that Gilmore & Williams could've been better, I think the larger blame actually should go to our safeties, particularly, Byrd. One example is that near TD where Holmes came down out of bounds - Gilmore (or maybe it was Williams) played the bump on Holmes, but let him get past him because he expected to have safety help up top (that's Byrd's job). Unfortunately, Byrd was nowhere near that play, and was looking towards the center of the field. There were other instances where I thought Jairus was in the wrong place at times, that I honestly wouldn't attribute to our young CB's.

Epic Fail...in regards to this thread

I agree with the second to last poster, as for the last poster, stop it. Gilmore looked bad yesterday but we didn't get any pressure

Why? You want to dissect and condemn a rookie in his first NFL start and in a game where his defensive assignments by the staff put him in position to fail in terms of how the Jets were running quick release timed throws. I stand by my original statement that this is an epic fail in terms of evaluating how good or bad a rookie is going to be based on their first game in the NFL and the fact that our defensive coaching staff failed to prepare him nor put him in positions to succeed by running such a bad defensive game plan.

To be clear: I did NOT want Gilmore. (I also criticized the Graham and Asper picks).

That said, let's take a look at what the nine guys taken ahead of him did on Sunday -- then Gilmore:

1). Andrew Luck: 23/45 for 309 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT, 52.9 Rating. Mediocre debut. Less-than-impressive numbers, but you're not going to win a shootout with the Bears if you're the Colts. Mixed bag.

2): RG III: 19/26 for 303 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT, 139.9 Rating. Amazing debut. Blew everyone away. STELLAR game against a tough opponent on the road. FAR exceeded expectations, and won a shootout with Brees. A pleasure to watch.

3). Trent Richardson: 39 yards on 19 carries (avg. 2.05 YPC). Putrid debut. He's already had major surgery and looked a bit lost out there.

4). Matt Kalil: Blocked an extra point that paved the way for the Vikings to tie and eventually win in OT. Didn't allow a sack. Great debut.

5). Justin Blackmon: 3 catches for 24 yards. And I'm guessing he was sober. Putrid debut, and one strike away from a suspension.

6). Morris Claiborne: Held Nix to 4 catches on 39 yards. Manning was forced to throw more to Victor Cruz, who had some horrid drops in double and triple coverage. More than held his own against a top receiver. Great debut.

7). Mark Barron: 3 tackles (0 for loss), 2 passes deflected. (By comparison, the ageless Ronde Barber had 5 tackles (2 for loss), 1 sack, 2 passes deflected. Mediocre debut.

8). Ryan Tannehill: 20/36 for 219 yards, 3 INTs, 0 TDs, 39 rating. LOL debut. The rest of the team sucks, but I'm not using that as an exucse for him.

9). Luke Kuechly: 4 tackles (2 solo). Didn't make any mistakes, but didn't shine, either. Mediocre debut.

10). Stephon Gillmore: 4 tackles (2 solo). Got torched repeatedly. The ENTIRE UNIT didn't break up a single pass. Front four (Esp. M. Williams) seemed apathetic, allowing the Jets to throw repeatedly. No excuses, though. Putrid debut.

RG III was a show-stopper. Kalil was silent but potent. Claiborne impressed. The rest? Mixed bag. I'm trying to put this into perspective -- It's too early to judge, given the above (except Tanny, who I thought was a bust before the draft).

I'll be looking for Gilmore to right the ship next week -- as well as 50 others (Spiller, Potter delivered).

BA

Edited by Bud Adams