Back From Game - A Wakeup Call For Our Fans

Mark VI

i may be way off base, but maybe drew bledsoe was the perfect starting qb on this team. we have a future with jp lohsman at qb. we also have a future with wm, lee evans, mike williams etc....., it is a hell of a lot easier to make a rb, and wr transiition on the nfl then to have a successful qb transition. this year we had the benefit of getting wm and evans some damn good nfl experience all while letting drew lead this team with no real expectations of great success(we have to be honest with ourselves about this). all the while we have a rookie being allowed to acclimate himself to this new world and all the differencces from college. now we have a core team that has at least 1 full year of nfl experience. we now bring in a "sophomore" qb to learn with an experienced team. we let bledsoe fall back to a teaching role and watch jp mature along with the rest of the team. i think the future is brilliant for this team!

The real sad thing about this team is that, while we've been quiet as we enjoy watching the Bills beat up on inferior teams, you HAVE to still realize that Drew is a weak link for this offense. His numbers this season are pedestrian at best. He makes some of the most boneheaded throws, and they always seem to come at the worst times. This points to a guy who has the jitters - a guy who's afraid to lose so he holds it too long or throws it to the nearest jersey.

He had absolutely no presence out there. No command.

If I hear this team say that Drew is the starter next year, I hope they're prepared for poor ticket sales. Drew is a great guy who I wish possessed that IT that allows him to win big games.

He lacks IT. And IT doesn't miraculously come back.

188681[/snapback]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So EM dropped a couple of balls on 3 yard routes where he was about to be tackled...and I'm supposed to BILLieve that if he caught those balls, that the outcome would be different?  Give me a break. :(

188740[/snapback]

Not defending anyone...but if you think Moulds was about to be hit as those balls were being led to him, you watched a different game than me. On both occasions he should have caught the ball AND would have taken the balls in stride for first downs.

Not defending anyone...but if you think Moulds was about to be hit as those balls were being led to him, you watched a different game than me. On both occasions he should have caught the ball AND would have taken the balls in stride for first downs.

188750[/snapback]

LA...I didn't tape it, so I have no replay to go back to. I saw it differently. Moot point.

Great points Mark, thanks for taking the time.

I'm happy we were playing a meaningful game in December for the first time in a few years.

I think its a testament to how good a coach McNally is that this offensive line was able to perform as well as they did the second half of the season. Their talent level is below average and they played above themselves which is a sign of good coaching.

Lindell is horrible. It's not his stats as much as it is his lack of consistancy. Every time he lines up you wonder if he is going to make it. There's gotta be a better kicker available this off season. Someone automatic inside of 40 yards.

Drew - well what can you say? I've been hearing since Drew got here from Pats fans that he'll make boneheaded plays in big games that will kill the team. That's exactly what he did. The Pittsburgh DBs dropped at least 3 picks that were right in their hands. Drew's fumble was classic Foxboro Mike - Pat Pat Pat BOOM!. Drews a great guy, my grandfather is a great guy, I don't want either of them QBing the Bills next year.

I think the team is going in the right direction. Most of Donahoe's moves are starting to pay off.

RunTheBall

188750[/snapback]

Moulds is an enigma. He made a very nice catch for a first down and dropped a couple easy ones, which replay showed were right in his hands. Hard to guage him at times.

Shifting topics......A couple of the coaching decisions were questionable. I still couldn't fathom the pitch/lateral/pass to Shaud Williams on 3rd and one in the fourth quarter. That kind of play is nice when you're leading in a game, but when you're down, you'd think they'd just play it as a straight run. I know they weren't getting much on direct runs, but with all the possible things that could wrong....which did.

this topic is a perfect example of how important this board and its members are.  we have a guy who is posting, less than an hour after the end of the most important game of the season to share his thoughts with us.  that means he had to fight 80,000+ fans, fight traffic get home to log on to his computer and post, all in less than an hour.  it is like calling a best friend with good news as soon as you hear it.  this board is so much more about the buffalo bills wins and losses.  it is about a pretty tight knit community wanting to share opinions and experiences with others.  sure you have to wade(ewwwww) through a bunch of garbage and nonsense, but in the end it is all good.  everyone have a great off season and lets keep the fun alive.

188678[/snapback]

Pay attention smacktards, Poojer gets it. You could all learn something from him.

188750[/snapback]

Moulds dropped balls all year... he of all people shouldn't have had a tight collar today. I guess that we have also seen the last of Josh Reed.

I learned that the Bills are a good team that made significant strides during the 2004 season. Terrible day but rather than fingerpoint, which many here will do, I'll calmly offer my outlook on what the Bills need to improve/ take the next step.

1. Still need some beefing up on the OL. Bills probably need a new OT with Jennings leaving ( I believe he will ). Guard depth is needed. We were exposed today when Chris V. was out. L. Smith and Pussywillow aren't even good backups.

2. Kicker - Lindell just lacks consistency and seems to be a head case. Can't depend on him anymore, not even inside the 40. Whatever is left on his contract, eat it and find a new Kicker. This is a must.

3. Drew was terrible, even with time to throw. Held the ball far too long. Brain dead decisions.  Had some rough stretches even during the winning streak. Not buying into him anymore. Still makes glaring mistakes that cost your team games. Will no longer listen to the apologists. If he can't take you deep into the playoffs, then what is the point ?

4. Coaching - Stress the discipline angle to cut down on the penalties. Make them pay in practice. Too much self destruction, costing us valuable field position and first downs.

9-7 is a good year, with a 1st year Head Coach. Today was technically week 1 of the playoffs for us and we could NOT win, at home, against a good team playing many 2nd/3rd stringers. How on Gods green earth were the Bills going to do anything on the Road in the real post-season ?  That means winning 3 road games to reach the SB.

That should be a sobering wakeup call to how much we need to improve.

Conclusion :

1. ST's - Needs a Kicker, Strong everywhere else

2. Defense - More Depth due to aging - Good starting 11 for now

3. Offense - OL help needed, more depth, QB change To Losman

4. Coaching - Work on Discipline ( less penalties)

This team is moving in the right direction, heading into 2005. Make some key improvements and you can win 1-2 more games, cementing a playoff position and actually being able to play with the Steelers, Pats and other elite teams.

Certain key players came up small today and it's time to turn the page. The blame game doesn't mean a thing to me.  We are a B+ team that can improve with certain key moves, listed above.

188616[/snapback]

Nice comments... I als think the tight end could be upgraded. Bottom line... we have a lot of positives but showed we are not ready to beat a "prime timer"...

Mark thanks for all the great post game posts. I really think you covered most if not all the areas we need to improve on for next year.

I don't want to load on Drew, because clearly this loss was not entirely his fault, but it does illustrate why we need to go in a different direction at QB next year. Drew to his credit is a warrior and played his heart out for the team, however, that is not enough to lift the team to the next level. Todays game was microcosom of his career in Buffalo, poor throws, costly turnovers, holding on to the ball too long and losing a big must win game.

I think it is fair to say that Lindell just flat out sucks. It's bad enough his kicks outside 40 yards are iffy, but to miss a chip shot FG in a close game at home with the playoffs on the line is inexcusable.

What was most disheartening to me with this loss was the way the Steelers were able to control both lines of scrimmage throughout the game, often with their second string players. In a game of this importance I figured we would be a lot more physical. The stupid penalties also showed a lack of focus needed to win a game of this magnitude.

I do believe this team is headed on the right track though. After 0-4, 1-5, 3-6, who would have thought we would be playing for a playoff spot? I am extremely proud of how they put it together. It was a great ride. They gave us a taste of consistent winning and have set the bar higher for next season.

I do believe this team is headed on the right track though. After 0-4, 1-5, 3-6, who would have thought we would be playing for a playoff spot? I am extremely proud of how they put it together. It was a great ride. They gave us a taste of consistent winning and have set the bar higher for next season.

188984[/snapback]

Agreed. 0:)

Nice comments... I als think the tight end could be upgraded. Bottom line... we have a lot of positives but showed we are not ready to beat a "prime timer"...

188980[/snapback]

Doh ! 0:) You are dead on about the TE. I would like to see that upgraded. Can't believe I forgot that.

Doh !  0:)  You are dead on about the TE. I would like to see that upgraded. Can't believe I forgot that.

188994[/snapback]

Tough to evaluate a position that's down to 3rd & 5th string at year end. I actually like the prospect of Euhus & Peters on the squad.

Tough to evaluate a position that's down to 3rd & 5th string at year end.  I actually like the prospect of Euhus & Peters on the squad.

189011[/snapback]

I love Peters' potential.. but would prefer a good veteran free agent pick up at this point.

And the defense that couldn't get off the field in the 4th quarter, with the game on the line, against the second string.

This is very true. Basically with the game on the line the offense had to punt and the defense couldn't get the ball back. You have to blame the whole team for this the worst loss of the season.

Offensive coordinator should have thrown more deep balls against 2nd and 3rd string CBs. They were one for one of the deep throw. That pissed me off.

this topic is a perfect example of how important this board and its members are.  we have a guy who is posting, less than an hour after the end of the most important game of the season to share his thoughts with us.  that means he had to fight 80,000+ fans, fight traffic get home to log on to his computer and post, all in less than an hour.  it is like calling a best friend with good news as soon as you hear it.  this board is so much more about the buffalo bills wins and losses.  it is about a pretty tight knit community wanting to share opinions and experiences with others.  sure you have to wade(ewwwww) through a bunch of garbage and nonsense, but in the end it is all good.  everyone have a great off season and lets keep the fun alive.

188678[/snapback]

Kumbayah my Lord, Kumbayah, Oh, Looord, Kumbayah!

Tough to evaluate a position that's down to 3rd & 5th string at year end.  I actually like the prospect of Euhus & Peters on the squad.

189011[/snapback]

Euhus is a pass catching TE in the Jay Novachek/Brett Jones mold. Pass blocking is not his strong suit. I do like having him. I'm not sold on Campbell. He's OK but we can do better.

I believe Peters future is at OT.

Euhus is a pass catching TE in the Jay Novachek/Brett Jones mold. Pass blocking is not his strong suit. I do like having him. I'm not sold on Campbell. He's OK but we can do better.

I believe Peters future is at OT.

189081[/snapback]

It is exciting to hope for Peters to have a future at tight end (although I agree he will probably end up at tackle). I know the game has changed greatly since his time, but I remember John Mackey literally running over people after he would catch a pass. He was incredible. I like to envision Peters in that fashion.

And the defense that couldn't get off the field in the 4th quarter, with the game on the line, against the second string.

189059[/snapback]

Yeah, let's place blame on the defense that spent the entire game on the field. If the defense were to blame, the score should have been 28-10 at half time.

This game was a throwback to the opening weeks. Defense kept it tight and needed an average effort from the offense to get the win.