Replacement Refs Sucked Last Night

is that any different than any other opening week game? are the officials that are not in the superbowl also not "less than the best"

you mean like "giving him the business" or messing up the overtime coin flip on thanksgiving, or the "just give it to them" debacle, or the hochuli mess.... regular officials make some pretty ridiculous "did that really just happen" mistakes too. ruling a block in the back a clip isnt that crazy. it happens.

In my mind it's a lot different. SB refs are selected via a grading system for refs that have been working at the NFL level for a minimum of five years.

To say we are going to take the 'best' of a subpar set in the first place and leave the 'rest' for the other games that aren't nationally televised just doesn't sit well.

GO BILLS!!!

Clipping/Block in Back, my point was that the regular officials would have called it as well.

It's pretty much the same sing.

Yes. They would have called 'illegal block in the back' which they never would have confused with the more punitive call of 'clipping' in the first place. That was an amateur's mistake.

Not sure how illegal block in the back and clipping are pretty much the same thing. They are as distinct as holding and illegal procedure.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind it's a lot different. SB refs are selected via a grading system for refs that have been working at the NFL level for a minimum of five years.

To say we are going to take the 'best' of a subpar set in the first place and leave the 'rest' for the other games that aren't nationally televised just doesn't sit well.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes. They would have called 'illegal block in the back' which they never would have confused with the more punitive call of 'clipping' in the first place. That was an amateur's mistake.

Not sure how illegal block in the back and clipping are pretty much the same thing. They are as distinct as holding and illegal procedure.

GO BILLS!!!

the nfl is going to put the best refs on the biggest stages. id venture if you looked at the crews that had the opening day game the last few years - they were among the premiere crews.

to pretend that some crews arent better than others is not fair. hence the nfl wants to go so far as to be able to bench poorly performing refs.

i think this is a case of sounds worse than it is, unless the rest of the crews fail miserably and the nfl pretends it didnt happen because it wasnt in high tv rating games. though smaller than lastnight, on a national scale people still will be seeing sunday night in primetime, 2 monday night games in prime time, sunday afternoon national games in addition to this thursday one.... you can only hide so many crews from big audiences. even the non-national games will have big viewership with so many premier matchups this week.

there is always going to be a "best" and "less than best" even if we dont like to hear it. we will see how the "less than best" do from here. i wont pretend to know what to expect and could be surprised with how well, or how poorly they end up doing. last night i was happy with though.

Here's a PFT article about the Giants feeling like their pass rush was held back by the refs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/06/giants-noticed-replacement-refs-nobody-noticed-their-pass-rush/

Would not bode well for our "new and improved" D-Line if the Jets can get away with holding calls.

Why do people keep getting so defensive about the officials, and infer things that were never said? I never said they sucked (in fact I said they were the best replacement crew, 2nd time I had to repeat that), I was simply pointing out what happened on that play.

This is part of what I said in that exact post

"In the grand scheme of things it was a meaningless mistake. That is one of those thing that you would not see the "regular" officials do though."

I don't think people are attacking you as much as the op. The title of the thread is....Replacement Refs Sucked Last Night. Pretty cut and dry and many people disagree with that notion. Also as stated you could pick any game and nitpick a few calls here and there. They didn't have an effect on the game (and I know you agree with that) which to me is their job and in turn means they didn't suck (not that you are saying that but the op most certainly is).

I thought it was funny that they kept using college signals rather than NFL signals - a couple of times they called a delay of game penalty and the ref crossed his arms across his chest rather than stacking his forearms in front of him - not a big deal but if these guys are going to be in the NFL for awhile they should switch to NFL signals....

Clipping/Block in Back, my point was that the regular officials would have called it as well.

It's pretty much the same sing.

you mean like "giving him the business" or messing up the overtime coin flip on thanksgiving, or the "just give it to them" debacle, or the hochuli mess.... regular officials make some pretty ridiculous "did that really just happen" mistakes too. ruling a block in the back a clip isnt that crazy. it happens.

I'm not saying it's never happened, but I have never seen a "regular" official call a block in the back clipping. They are two very different penalties, with different punishments. That's why it stood out to me.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The ref last night was exactly the opposite of Ed Hochuli. Instead of the long winded explanations of the mundane that Mr. Muscles give us, the guy yesterday seemed to be trying to use as few words as humanly possibly to call the penalties.

Edited by biglukes

I don't think people are attacking you as much as the op. The title of the thread is....Replacement Refs Sucked Last Night. Pretty cut and dry and many people disagree with that notion. Also as stated you could pick any game and nitpick a few calls here and there. They didn't have an effect on the game (and I know you agree with that) which to me is their job and in turn means they didn't suck (not that you are saying that but the op most certainly is).

Point taken, I certainly wouldn't have used the words the OP used in the title. That will always invite tough responses.

The ref last night was exactly the opposite of Ed Hochuli. Instead of the long winded explanations of the mundane that Mr. Muscles give us, the guy yesterday seemed to be trying to use as few words as humanly possibly to call the penalties.

the more they talk, the more they get nitpicked. id imagine they were told to make a decision, stick to it, and communicate it as efficiently as possible.

To me its an over/under situation.

After all the games are done in the first week there will be a general assessment.

Every week during regular season there is usually some bang/bang call where Instant Replay shows that essentially the refs missed the call (either they simply missed the play and sometimes misapplied the rules. Its roughest early in the season and tends to get better as the refs simply practice their craft.

It strikes me that the replacement refs likely can get away with one badly missed call per week.

If the refs can hold it under one horrendous video per weekend, then the NFL is in the drivers seat.

However, if there are merely two plays a week the refs obviously blew it then union will beat the NFL.

My guess is that even with the professional refs there is often one silly play per weekend even under "normal" circumstances.

Given in every game you are going to have the losing ream crying foul deserved or not its gonna be tough for the NFL to tell the story they want to tell.

The NFL has a leg up in that my guess is that the sports "journalists" actually are going to do wha their bosses tell them and reaally are going to go out of their way to praise the refs and not draw a lot of attention to their miscues.

I thought they did a pretty solid job and if you follow Mike Perarra on Twitter, his feedback was pretty positive as well. He even said that the push in the back was for sure a penalty.

I actually liked the head ref, he was confident, clear and even laughed when one of the players ran into him during a call announcement.

Did you know one of the big sticking point in the negotiation with the refs is the league want to be able to "sit down" refs who are doing a bad job at any point during the season... you know, hold them accountable. They cannot do this now and the refs are fighting to keep it that way.

I say, until the refs give in on this NO BRAINER change, keep the replacements.

Edited by theesir

Given in every game you are going to have the losing ream crying foul deserved or not its gonna be tough for the NFL to tell the story they want to tell.

I gotta think that anyone who's on the receiving end of a losing ream is gonna be crying a helluva lot more than foul. Like, "ouch!" for instance.

GO BILLS!!!

I thought they did a pretty solid job and if you follow Mike Perarra on Twitter, his feedback was pretty positive as well. He even said that the push in the back was for sure a penalty.

I actually liked the head ref, he was confident, clear and even laughed when one of the players ran into him during a call announcement.

Did you know one of the big sticking point in the negotiation with the refs is the league want to be able to "sit down" refs who are doing a bad job at any point during the season... you know, hold them accountable. They cannot do this now and the refs are fighting to keep it that way.

I say, until the refs give in on this NO BRAINER change, keep the replacements.

I am no sure this is such a no brainer in that what I suspect is the case IF (and the spin that there is only one sticking point sounds like political spin to me) its a question of whether the refs can be held accountable is that the refs do not trust the NFL hierarchy to in fact only hold them accountable for game mistakes.

It would seem to me to be a great likelihood that if the NFL were allowed to simply sit without pay any ref who it judged blew a call. that amazngly you might find that refs who stood up for themselves and demanded their fair slice of the massive NFL take would disproportionately be the one's who are discplined and held "accountable".

I doubt the refs are confident that a system which allowed Goodell and the boys in charge to sit them based on the owners judgment is gonns be acceptable to the refs.

I for one would not blame the refs if what they objected to was being disciplined by idiots like Jerry Jones and Art Modell.

My guess would be that one might construct an accountability system which both disciplined and protected the refs but such a check and balanced system is probably gonna need some brains to figure it out.

The only call I saw that was bad was the hold on Cruz? in the endzone. Overall i thought they looked fine

Agree, The Cruz no call was definetly suspect but aside from that I think they did just fine.......If we didn't know they were replacement refs, no one would have much to say.