NFL Sunday Ticket - Online Only

WickedGame

Link works if you take out the period at the end.

I'm almost glad I'm on tour for the rest of the year...I'd be extremely tempted to sign up for this if I was going to be home to watch the games. But since I'm not, $40 for Game Rewind is going to let me catch up on the games on my limited downtime later in the week.

Curious to see if anyone here will actually pay the $250 versus using streaming sites (including XSLive) or asking friends in the WNY market to use a Slingbox to send the games their way. For me, I think I would be able to justify the cost/quality versus having to use pirate sites or seek out a bar, drive a lot, severely limit the number of drinks I can have...yeah, the convenience might be worth the cost.

I'm still waiting for the expected PS3 announcement

The DirecTv service account on Twitter told me end of July to expect an announcement closer to the season then after asking again last week confirmed it will be available on the PS3 again his year

Update: Apparently it will be available on Sept 4 on PS3 for 299

I'll most likely be ordering this through the PS3 but don't get why it's more other then Sony getting their cut

Oddly enough I just checked and Bills game will be on local TV here in the Philly area

Edited by Max997

I just bought a PS3 today to stream it. If you have the ticket (or know somebody who will give you their info) you stream for free on PS3 or online. Or you can buy for a few hundred for PS3 package but if you buy the PS3 package, you cannot stream online and if you buy online package you cannot stream on PS3.

In other words if you have the direct TV package you can do it all. If you buy anything else you can only do what you buy.

Edited by TheNewBills

I can confirm the PS3 package is available. Spoke with DirecTV today and they offered it as an option.

The $250 is fine for me, since I just feed it to my TV via HDMI. I get every game -- same as regular Sunday Ticket -- plus access via iPad and iPhone. I'll still go to the bar sometimes, but this gives me te option to watch at home, too.

This is fantastic. It seems like they don't really check if you can't get DTV.

I should be able to watch on my iPad and AirPlay or HDMI connect to my 65" right?

I just bought a PS3 today to stream it. If you have the ticket (or know somebody who will give you their info) you stream for free on PS3 or online. Or you can buy for a few hundred for PS3 package but if you buy the PS3 package, you cannot stream online and if you buy online package you cannot stream on PS3.

In other words if you have the direct TV package you can do it all. If you buy anything else you can only do what you buy.

So question: why would you buy a PS3 which I'm guessing cost $250 and then pay $300 for Sunday Ticket when for $250 you can stream online and by an HDMI cord for like $20 to connect to your tv? Am I missing something?

This is fantastic. It seems like they don't really check if you can't get DTV.

I should be able to watch on my iPad and AirPlay or HDMI connect to my 65" right?

So question: why would you buy a PS3 which I'm guessing cost $250 and then pay $300 for Sunday Ticket when for $250 you can stream online and by an HDMI cord for like $20 to connect to your tv? Am I missing something?

Not sure about streaming Sunday Ticket, but last year I had NFL Rewind, plugged it up to the 50" plasma via HDMI, and the picture was good, but it was a little choppy. I'd assume the PS3 stream would be cleaner.

Also, does anyone know if you can stream the online package through an iphone?

Interesting. My friend is getting Sunday Ticket for free via DirecTV somehow as a new customer. We had looked into this but I'm just very nervous of the stream quality as the NFL preseason stream wasn't the best and I had it hard wired.

Interesting. My friend is getting Sunday Ticket for free via DirecTV somehow as a new customer. We had looked into this but I'm just very nervous of the stream quality as the NFL preseason stream wasn't the best and I had it hard wired.

NFL preseaon live steam is terrible next to DirecTV steam. It will be 100% perfect.

Not sure about streaming Sunday Ticket, but last year I had NFL Rewind, plugged it up to the 50" plasma via HDMI, and the picture was good, but it was a little choppy. I'd assume the PS3 stream would be cleaner.

Also, does anyone know if you can stream the online package through an iphone?

Did you do HDMI through PC or from your iPad? I have airplay which wirelessly streams whatever is on my iPad to my tv. I can also HDMI. The airplay has always looked good for streaming recorded video (downloaded movies, etc) but I'm concerned about streaming live games.

Did you do HDMI through PC or from your iPad? I have airplay which wirelessly streams whatever is on my iPad to my tv. I can also HDMI. The airplay has always looked good for streaming recorded video (downloaded movies, etc) but I'm concerned about streaming live games.

If you have played HD downloaded movies OK then the live game should not be a problem. From what I read, the first generation airplay could not do HD content but the 2nd generation can.

If you have played HD downloaded movies OK then the live game should not be a problem. From what I read, the first generation airplay could not do HD content but the 2nd generation can.

Thanks. Wish I could test it before spending $250 but I'm sure my wife wouldn't hate the game being limited to my iPad :)

NFL preseaon live steam is terrible next to DirecTV steam. It will be 100% perfect.

After the first week, anyway. The first week is usually terrible as they work out kinks. They also (historically) give everyone streaming access week 1, and everyone is testing it out which factors into the poor performance.

Thanks. Wish I could test it before spending $250 but I'm sure my wife wouldn't hate the game being limited to my iPad :)

Download a HD (720 at least, 1080 if you can) movie and airplay it to your TV. If that works, the games will too.

And based on fezmids post, you can try it on Sunday :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Download a HD (720 at least, 1080 if you can) movie and airplay it to your TV. If that works, the games will too.

And based on fezmids post, you can try it on Sunday :)

I'm not a directv customer so I can't try for free. But I've streamed an HD movie before just fine. My concern again is I've "streamed" a downloaded movie. This will be streaming a stream if that makes any sense.

Edit: this doesn't make sense. What I mean is I've used my iPad to both watch a movie through HDMI and AirPlay, but in both cases the movie wasn't being streamed from the Internet. I had already downloaded it in full.

Edited by stevestojan

I'm not a directv customer so I can't try for free. But I've streamed an HD movie before just fine. My concern again is I've "streamed" a downloaded movie. This will be streaming a stream if that makes any sense.

Edit: this doesn't make sense. What I mean is I've used my iPad to both watch a movie through HDMI and AirPlay, but in both cases the movie wasn't being streamed from the Internet. I had already downloaded it in full.

That doesn't matter at all. The only issue with airplay is if it could not handle the HD bitrate. But apparently you have proven that it can.

The only question then, is how good is the quality of the stream from directtv. I cannot help you with that question :)

But just because it is not downloaded prior to playing should have no effect, unless your internet connection is super slow or drops out a lot of course. But cable download speed is more than sufficient. I suspect DLS is fine too, though I have never tried it.

That doesn't matter at all. The only issue with airplay is if it could not handle the HD bitrate. But apparently you have proven that it can.

The only question then, is how good is the quality of the stream from directtv. I cannot help you with that question :)

But just because it is not downloaded prior to playing should have no effect, unless your internet connection is super slow or drops out a lot of course. But cable download speed is more than sufficient. I suspect DLS is fine too, though I have never tried it.

Thanks!

Placed my order. Now I guess I can even take my iPad and HDMI cord to a friends house and watch. Nice.

Has anyone called and tried to get the PS3 version for $250? Seems crazy that it's $50 more than the Online Only version...

Are you guys sure that the app is AirPlay enabled? It would be pretty dumb if it weren't, but hey, I said the same thing about HBO Go!

The app for the PS3 did require an update today but still couldn't order the ticket

where are you even seeing it on your ps3?

i searched the store, and my "video sevices" tab on the xmb, and theres nothing nfl-related to be found.

im guessing theyll update the store tomorrow night, and ill be able to buy it tomorrow morning.

oh well, the check im using to buy it wont even clear til tonight, so not a big deal.

im just wondering if there will be an option to pay in installments...

Has anyone called and tried to get the PS3 version for $250? Seems crazy that it's $50 more than the Online Only version...

Are you guys sure that the app is AirPlay enabled? It would be pretty dumb if it weren't, but hey, I said the same thing about HBO Go!

I will let you know when I order but the iPad (the 3 anyway) allows you to AirPlay anything that is on your screen. Just double click the home button and then swipe to go left and the airplay button is there. You can mirror your whole iPad that way.

Alright, I just bought it. When you download the app, and login in, it airplays automatically a message (from Payton manning) in standard definition at best telling you you now have Sunday ticket and we'll see you on the 9th followed by a few nfl highlights nagain the resolution is weak. And I can't make it NOT AirPlay :) I'll keep tinkering. If its SD On Sunday I'll call and ask for a refund.

where are you even seeing it on your ps3?

i searched the store, and my "video sevices" tab on the xmb, and theres nothing nfl-related to be found.

im guessing theyll update the store tomorrow night, and ill be able to buy it tomorrow morning.

oh well, the check im using to buy it wont even clear til tonight, so not a big deal.

im just wondering if there will be an option to pay in installments...

I had it last year and never deleted it which is why it had me perform the update today

Update:

It's available to order now on the PS3 but only option is to pay in full so no installment plan this year which isn't surprising

Edited by Max997

I will let you know when I order but the iPad (the 3 anyway) allows you to AirPlay anything that is on your screen. Just double click the home button and then swipe to go left and the airplay button is there. You can mirror your whole iPad that way.

Alright, I just bought it. When you download the app, and login in, it airplays automatically a message (from Payton manning) in standard definition at best telling you you now have Sunday ticket and we'll see you on the 9th followed by a few nfl highlights nagain the resolution is weak. And I can't make it NOT AirPlay :) I'll keep tinkering. If its SD On Sunday I'll call and ask for a refund.

Yeah, I'm running the iPad 1...

Will you get tomorrow's game? That might be a good test!

I might have to go the online route, though it makes me wonder why I bought that PS3 last year at this time. Not that I haven't bought a played and bunch of games over the year... :D

Yeah, I'm running the iPad 1...

Will you get tomorrow's game? That might be a good test!

I might have to go the online route, though it makes me wonder why I bought that PS3 last year at this time. Not that I haven't bought a played and bunch of games over the year... :D

Thought of tomorrow's game but it won't be on the ticket since its on NBC.

I'm not a big poster, but had relate my DirecTV experience.

I've been a subscriber since '97, but only use DTV for Sunday Ticket. I also suspend the service for 6 months in the summer to save $180. I started complaining in ~2009 when the prices went into the $300 range. each year I tell them the cost is too high and I want to cancel DTV completely, so they reduce the price by half. I made my annual call last night and It turns out they already had me down for the Ticket at 4 payments of $40. And, they threw in the NFL Ticket Max feature at no charge.

Last year I signed up for the PS3 Sunday Ticket and a few days later the online only through directive.com was released for non-DTV subscribers.

I'll be at the Bills Backers Bar in DC for Week 1, then going to the home opener in Week 2, and planning to but the online only DTV for Week3 and hook my laptop up to the TV.

The Online only is more flexible than the PS3 version incase you have to travel on Sunday you can still watch the game.

Thats my plan.

Well worth the $250 Lets say I only use for 12 week. Thats less than $25 a week, and I rack up a much larger tab at the Bills' Backers Bar.

Well worth the $250 Lets say I only use for 12 week. Thats less than $25 a week, and I rack up a much larger tab at the Bills' Backers Bar.

My exact reasoning/justification for last nights purchase.

I normally don't drink too much on Sundays, but even 5-6 beers at a bar over 4 hours and food and the hassle of leaving behind my ass grooved couch is more than this cost.

Edited by stevestojan

I just did this as well. All new customers get Sunday Ticket for free for the first year. Just cancelled cable actually and DirecTV is coming to hook it up tomorrow, can't wait! I went through Satellite Solutions of WNY. Since a friend referred me, we each got $10/month off for 10 months.

I do this.

1) Find a friend or relative with DirecTV.

2) Buy a Slingbox and WD Media Player.

3) Hook the Slingbox up at his/her house and hook the WD Media Player up at your house

4) Split the cost of Sunday Ticket every year and you both enjoy.

HD works good that way? Unless your friend has business roadrunner or equivalent I would think his outbound (upload) speed would choke with HD video.