Bills cut list - 08/31/12

G-Daddy

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I am the only one that thinks the more time Brad got with the WR/s last year the better he got......since we cut easly and hagan he is one of the few wr's with size we still have on the team

I guess I am the only one that thinks the more time Brad got with the WR/s last year the better he got......since we cut easly and hagan he is one of the few wr's with size we still have on the team

We heard you the first time! :P

He did get better but he still wasn't good. I'm not worried about the 4 wr's yet though. Likely to see more formations or a waiver wire pickup.

This is total BS. Go back to the Jets and what? Replace Tebow, who is 20 times the player Smith is for what they would be used for? For KO returns in which there aren't any anymore? He would probably go somewhere one more time on name alone and then banish from the league. Stop this Smith nonsense already.

One thing which seems crystal clear is that the key person who seems to buy what you refer to as this "Smith nonsense" is noneother than Chan Gailey.

One thing I give Gailey credit for is that he seems to have some particular plan or vision in mind in which Smith seems to play some central role. I am really not sure what that role is but I do know for pretty sure that he is the HC and I (and YOU) are not because Gailey has forgotten more about building a quality NFL offense than we will ever learn.

Does this make him immune from criticism?

No, not at all. part of the reason he gets paid the big bucks to merely coach in this boys' game is that his work is subject to and we armchair gurus are encourages to critique his work.

What seems clear though to those of us like you and me who do not understand what the heck he is doing is the problem here is far more likely to be that you and I just do not understand what he is trying to do rather than this or that player simply sucks (though the market, coach's player assessments, and some pretty good or at least unique stats on Smith's part) all say oherwise.

My sense were there were a number of likely "tells" about the role Gailey envisioned for Smith

1. Greater practice emphasis we could see on him throwing the ball indicated to me he likely would be called upon to throw more in 2012 and the obvious place for him to throw from was the wildcat from which he routinely ran rather than threw from last year, but the pass threat is what made him extremely effective on 3rd and short last year as the mere threat gave him the nickel to read and run against.

2. Part of the Gailey success with O in the past was his use of athletically successful but not fulltime QB material like a Kordell Stewart. In Vince Yound and Brad Smith Gailey seemed to have two of these type players. I expected something weird to happen but had no clue adnd now that VY is cut I hve even less of a clue.

3. The TJax pick-up is interesting as Gailey already had him in mind for something in mind when he saw TJax was likely available. He was not even willing to wait until the likely FA time to get him. I wonder what is up?

I am happy to admit I am clueless about what this might be, and your vitriol against Smith is an amusing indicator that I am not the only one cluseless here.

I think the most intelligent thing about my view is that though I am quite certain that Gailey may well not succeed in his grand strategy, I am pretty sure there is an explanation for this which goes well beyond Smith simply sucks and the braintrust does not realize this.

I still think the Bills sign a S off the waiver wire. Courtney Greene? Larry Asante?

The best safeties who were cut are, according to Prisco:

S -- Omar Brown, Ravens -- He impressed during the preseason and should get a look from another team.

S -- Troy Nolan, Texans -- He is only 25 and he has started six games in two seasons. He will have a lot of interest.

Edited by Astrobot

You really think they view Smith as a QB or WR? This team has enough kick returners. I don't mind keeping him, in any event. But their mis-evaluation of the backup QB position cost them a depth player. And I am disturbed by the number of Nix's draft picks who ave been jettisoned by Nix.

Kind of expected though, when you draft for the 3-4 and switch to the 4-3.

But there is no reason whatsoever to keep him. Not only has he played lousy but he will never play unless there are two serious injuries, and he offers little upside. There is inarguably other players that could help us more, whether it be at CB, or LB, or WR or OL, or any other place where a player got hurt.

Put it this way, if Tavaris Jackson had been here for a month, do you think there is any chance that TT would not be cut already? Chan is going with three QBs, he's said it a dozen times, and Brad Smith is #3. The ONLY reason TT is still on the roster, is because Tjackson isn't up to speed yet. As soon as he is, Thigpen is gone.

I don't disagree with you, those are all very valid points, and I agree with them. :thumbsup:

If he had been here a month TT could very well have been gone and yes he has played lousy and deserves to see the Turk. At this time of the year and for the next couple weeks there will be some talent available via cuts and Vets who will sign after week 1. After that the pickings get slim, picking up a leftover FA whether a CB, LB or WR most likely isn't going to be a player who can contribute. Besides, we have no idea how long it will take Jackson to get up to speed on the offense and how long it will take Brad Smith's groin to heal. All I am saying is don't automatically think TT is going to get released, we may be stuck with him this season.

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder