Is the rebuilding project over in Buffalo?

HOUSE

Good morning guys.....

We have 2 different groups of fans and opinion here....

Group #1 Yes, the rebuilding project is over. Buddy Nix had 3 years, The Bills still have all their 2013 draft picks and haven't made a trade in years..... If the Bills have flaws, fill them NOW.........win or see ya! :flirt:

Group #2 No, The rebuilding project is NOT Over, we still have holes to fill. Another draft or two should fix the team.

I am defiantly in group #1 , make all the excuses you want. Buddy picked his quarterback and paid him well. He made his roster choices and the fans have been patient. Lets see what you got Buddy.

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rebuild has been ongoing since Jim kelly retired and will never be complete until these guys realize that QBs ARE your franchise. All other holes can be filled easier (or compensated for) when you find that person. The Bills major mistakes year after year have either been targeting the wrong guys (Losman, Edwards, Fitz) or not drafting anyone at all. This team has WAY too much talent not to make the playoffs and if Fitz does not have a good season from start to finish this year (which any decent QB should do at LEAST once), then they need to fix the position once and for all.

Hopefully Fitz can pull through and if he doesn't, Buddy needs to target a QB in the draft and do whatever it takes to get him. I'll give them a pass on the last couple years as it would have been difficult but the time has come. Seems as though there was some pretty decent talent in last years draft but only time will tell....

The rebuild has been ongoing since Jim kelly retired and will never be complete until these guys realize that QBs ARE your franchise. All other holes can be filled easier (or compensated for) when you find that person. The Bills major mistakes year after year have either been targeting the wrong guys (Losman, Edwards, Fitz) or not drafting anyone at all. This team has WAY too much talent not to make the playoffs and if Fitz does not have a good season from start to finish this year (which any decent QB should do at LEAST once), then they need to fix the position once and for all.

Hopefully Fitz can pull through and if he doesn't, Buddy needs to target a QB in the draft and do whatever it takes to get him. I'll give them a pass on the last couple years as it would have been difficult but the time has come. Seems as though there was some pretty decent talent in last years draft but only time will tell....

I prefer Vince Young to any QB is next years draft, Buffalo will draft no higher then mid round. Also, a rookie QB will delay the team another 2 years

Edited by HOUSE

I prefer Vince Young to any QB is next years draft, Buffalo will draft do higher then mid round. Also, a rookie QB will delay the team another 2 years

Good rookie qbs don't set you back at all these days (especially when they prove to be better than the current starter). I would like to see VY in one game since 2010 before I give him a nod over what looks to be a pretty good QB draft class again.

Let's just hope Fitz works out

Good morning guys.....

Group #1 Yes, the rebuilding project is over. Buddy Nix had 3 years, The Bills still have all their 2013 draft picks and haven't made a trade in years..... win now or see ya! :flirt:

Group #2 No, The rebuilding project is NOT Over, we still have holes to fill and Buddy Nix deserves at least another 2 years to ticker around :w00t:

I am defiantly in group #1 , make all the excuses you want. Buddy picked his quarterback and paid him well. He made his roster choices and the fans have been patient. Lets see what you got Buddy.

To paraphrase Buddy himself "It's aint over till the fat baby sings!" (well, that isn't really paraphrasing, but I think you catch my drift)

Though I'm unsure how you came to the conclusion that Nix gets another 2 years if this season isn't up to expectations. Your second option would have been much better if you left out the last 12 words and the condescending smilie thingy.

I prefer Vince Young to any QB is next years draft, Buffalo will draft no higher then mid round. Also, a rookie QB will delay the team another 2 years

Have you looked around the NFL lately?

Good rookie qbs don't set you back at all these days (especially when they prove to be better than the current starter). I would like to see VY in one game since 2010 before I give him a nod over what looks to be a pretty good QB draft class again.

Let's just hope Fitz works out

Agreed....... :thumbsup:

Edited by HOUSE

What you say is easily said but incredibly hard to do. My sense is that the Bills have followed exactly the strategy you endorse, the problem is that they have picked the wrong guys (Losman, Edwards, Fitz (though he is still a maybe though probably not).

Is there a specific person you would have picked instead that amounts to more than 20/20 hindsight.

Yes, the Bills made a huge error in not picking Tom Brady with a mere 5th round choice when he was drafted, but do you really want to excoriate the Bills for their really stupid choice in joining the rest of the NFL in passing on picking the best player in the NFL 5 times?

The Bills problem is having invested fully in the strategy you advocate but making bad choices and investing too much in the strategy you advocate (trading a 1st rounder for Losman, takiing Bill Walsh's advice and investing in Edwards).

My guess is that the Bills more likely would have eeked into the playoffs (and then gotten thrown out after one round because they did not have a franchise QB, if instead of wasting their time in the futile search for the next Jimbo, they instead had invested in building in the trenches instead.

Who do you specifically advocate the Bills should have taken to be their franchise QB, or are you virtually mindlessly whining?

Good morning guys.....

Group #1 Yes, the rebuilding project is over. Buddy Nix had 3 years, The Bills still have all their 2013 draft picks and haven't made a trade in years..... If the Bills have flaws, fill them NOW.........win or see ya! :flirt:

Group #2 No, The rebuilding project is NOT Over, we still have holes to fill. Another draft or two should fix the team.

So if the Bills make the playoffs, and don't win the Superbowl we should say see ya to Nix? Obviously if they make the playoffs but don't win it all, the rebuilding project is not over, yet they are moving in the right direction. So I say it depends on the amount of success the team shows this year. I do think they have holes at linebacker, tightend and wide reciever possibly. Also, one might argue that they need a aquarterback depending how Fitz can carry this team.

No he also said "Good rookie qbs don't set you back at all these days (especially when they prove to be better than the current starter). I would like to see VY in one game since 2010 before I give him a nod over what looks to be a pretty good QB draft class again."

I agree with ...."Let's just hope Fitz works out"

Edited by HOUSE

No he also said "Good rookie qbs don't set you back at all these days (especially when they prove to be better than the current starter). I would like to see VY in one game since 2010 before I give him a nod over what looks to be a pretty good QB draft class again."

Thanks for the clarification. On this we agree because Fitz is the only horse we got to ride right now. A successful season rests on his beard and his beard alone.

So if the Bills make the playoffs, and don't win the Superbowl we should say see ya to Nix? Obviously if they make the playoffs but don't win it all, the rebuilding project is not over, yet they are moving in the right direction. So I say it depends on the amount of success the team shows this year. I do think they have holes at linebacker, tightend and wide reciever possibly. Also, one might argue that they need a aquarterback depending how Fitz can carry this team.

The Bills need to make the playoffs, period. This is the NFL, 3 years is the norm.

Thanks for the clarification. On this we agree because Fitz is the only horse we got to ride right now. A successful season rests on his beard and his beard alone.

I like Vince Young. We will see.

The problem with a next QB draft class strategy is that to invest in it means we are going to miss the playoffs at least next year and probably 2014 as well until a rookie you draft next year learns the position.

Sure some QB drafted on the second day next year is going to turn out to be a player, but who will this be and how could it possibly be sane to select a strategy for this year based on the unpredictable event next year.

The bottomline is to give yourself the best chance to win right now. Your team is more likely to catch lightening in a bottle trying to find the next Tom Brady rather than plan on trading a 1st for Losman is going to work.

It would be silly to say that the current Bills coaching staff and management should be replaced if they don't get to the playoffs this year. I fully expect they will make the playoffs, but if, for some reason, they don't, I would not want this group blown up just to start over. This team is close. Very close. I think it is playoffs this year, maybe AFC Champs or . . . wait for it . . . Super Bowl next year after another off season. They have made good moves. They have a solid team now with a fair degree of quality backup. Yes, there are still some weak areas, but as others have said, there will always be weak areas, even on really good teams. But starting all over with new coaches/management would mean a new strategy all over again. Hell, maybe we can play a 3-4!

Firstly, it's not a black/white thing. Between group 1 and group 2 there is a vast area of grey.

Secondly, teams are constantly trying to improve and maintain their rosters so the process is really never done.

Finally, Nix has said repeatedly that the expectation for this year is the playoffs and anything less would be a disappointment… in other words I'll again state my belief that there's a scenario out there where Buddy fires Chan after this season if Chan can't teach this baby to run.

This is a pretty talented roster and I don't think 8-9 wins is gonna be satisfactory to Buddy… regardless of the exact nature of the season.