Lots of "experimentation". What do you think?

First the examples of experimentation I have seen thus far.

Defense:

1. In the first game, they clearly kept in their base d, even when 3 Wr/TE were brought into the game, on an obvious passing down(3rd +9). Then, later, when it became clear that the Skins were practicing their running...they brought in the pass D? This "run the opposite D" approach was too obvious to not be intentional. The "great play" of RG3 was throwing to a TE...who ran away from Morrsion on that 3rd +9. Please. :rolleyes: If that's a real game, Morrison is on the bench, and Scott is covering that TE = no dice, since Morrison almost got it done.

2. In the second game, they did this: http://blogs.buffalo...e-play-callers/

Offense:

1. The 1st game. Obvious.

2. 2nd game: we come out and tell the other team "we are going to run"...and basically challenge them to stop it. This was designed to see who can outplay the other guy 1v1 in the run game, period. Scott Chandler was exposed in a couple bad blocks via this method, but he wasn't the only one.

Given this:

1. are you comfortable with the amount of experimentation?

2. are the Bills not good enough to be doing this, or should they be trying to get better at what they ARE gonna do, and save the experiments for the preseason of the year AFTER we've made the playoffs?

3. do you believe that "experimentation" is BS, and it's merely excuses for bad play from the starters?

Finally, my conclusion is: they must believe that this team is pretty darn good...if they think they can afford to do this much mucking about. Now, either the team is really good, and of course they can...or....they are fooling themselves.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I will bet you Dorin Dickerson has a bigger role then most people will believe. I have been suspicious since training camp. They used him often and nobody could cover him, then Chan Gailey stopped. The whole situation makes no sense to me at all..........This is a good team

Edited by HOUSE

A very interesting premise to this thread. If correct, I think this could point to the brain trust thinking they are pretty good OR they don't want to put too much on tape.

my thinking is that the coaching staff is trying to temper the enthusiasm of this team early. by going through all of these experiments, and letting the other team know exactly what we are trying to do, it puts their own team at a severe disadvantage. having said that, if the team was buying the hype, they should be humbled and want to hit it even harder. and if they overcome those odds, then confidence goes through the roof. it's pretty much just runnin', kickin', blockin', throwin', an' tacklin'. i definately think there is rhyme to this reason.

If you all remember they did the same thing last year. They play the base defense or offence to be able to evaluate everyone straight up. I have also read articles in the past where the coaches talk ahead of time about what they are trying to evaluate. Plus no game plans. YOu can cover for know weaknesses of players or schemes by counter schemeing but if there is too much of that in the pre-season it could cloud the coaches judgement of the people on the bubble becasue it will depend on the talent around them. If they play straight up they look at the coaches tape and evaluate each player on how well they took care of their individual responsibilities. I don't have a problem with it and never panic about the pre-season.

I have a feeling they are playing possum and sandbagging and do not want their real team to be disected on video so they are being very conservative, hiding their strategy and holding back for the regular season. I can't think of any other explanation. This also makes me think internally they are very confident with where they are in respect to their strategy and goals.

I will bet you Dorin Dickerson has a bigger role then most people will believe. I have been suspicious since training camp. They used him often and nobody could cover him, then Chan Gailey stopped. The whole situation makes no sense to me at all..........This is a good team

You think he makes the team? Still not sure.

Either Corey M. gets cut or Dickinson is the 2nd TE we keep? Or do we keep three TEs and he's the 3rd?

Edited by stony

I have a feeling they are playing possum and sandbagging and do not want their real team to be disected on video so they are being very conservative, hiding their strategy and holding back for the regular season. I can't think of any other explanation. This also makes me think internally they are very confident with where they are in respect to their strategy and goals.

When I saw that drinkTHEkoolaid had posted in a thread about experimentation I got excited.

Does this mean that dev/null and his magnificent hypnotoad will be making a special guest appearance?

BTW, this is an interesting topic.

I did notice Chandler's deficiencies in blocking. On the one play he seemed angry with himself.

I was conflicted about Gailey's approach to both games. I almost prefer that they would follow the "standard script" of an NFL game and attempt some rudimentary mastering of standard operating procedures.

His comments about running the ball in the first presser after the first game (when they passed 16 consecutive plays) seemed odd to me. There's definitely some aspect of the Mad Scientist that seems to be going on.

One could argue that he really knows what he's doing or that he's a bit lost.

I've decided to follow the advice of those who say to not worry about it and wait to see the baby… not the snapshots.

They already know what their bread and butter is gonna be so they're tryin' some different spice to add some flavor... that being said, there is no need to worry... now it's a matter of repetitions and timing... the pre-season is the labor pains, the baby will be here soon :thumbsup:

Given this:

In the preseason, very much yes.

2. are the Bills not good enough to be doing this, or should they be trying to get better at what they ARE gonna do, and save the experiments for the preseason of the year AFTER we've made the playoffs?

Chan and Fitz are smart enough to try new things. Football Outsiders called Chan Gailey, the Poor Man Sean Payton. I think that's a fair assessment.

3. do you believe that "experimentation" is BS, and it's merely excuses for bad play from the starters?

No, its like working on your curve in Spring Training. These games don't count.

Given this:

In the preseason, very much yes.

Chan and Fitz are smart enough to try new things. Football Outsiders called Chan Gailey, the Poor Man Sean Payton. I think that's a fair assessment.

No, its like working on your curve in Spring Training. These games don't count.

Exactly..! these games don't count, thus . . . let's try some things out against some different competition that dosent see it everyday...

If you heard Byrd's interview on John Murphy's radio show tonight you have the answers to a lot of your questions. Here's some of the highlights.

1. They've been focusing primarily on base packages. They want to be sure that everyone understand their responsibilities before they add schemes.

2. They experimented with DB's calling the play in case there was ever a situation in the regular season where they needed to do that. Byrd said that Coach Gailey wants them to be prepared for every imaginable situation and they wanted someone in the secondary to experience it just in case.

I think it's good coaching and not "experimentation".

You think he makes the team? Still not sure.

Either Corey M. gets cut or Dickinson is the 2nd TE we keep? Or do we keep three TEs and he's the 3rd?

i disagree...

They keep both...Mcintyre is a big special teams player. Dickenson works as an HB/TE role.

The teams will likely keep Dickenson plus two TEs...Chandler and another. TE Caussain is on the PuP.