Freedom of The Press

Nanker

In practice, it's little different from the Bush Administration's "we'll talk to you on our terms, not yours" attitude towards the press. (In principle, it's different in that the Bush Administration's position was based on the idea of "We serve the American people, you don't," whereas the Obama administration is simply trying to control the message. In practice...same result.)

And like I was for the Bush Administration, I'm solidly behind the Obama administration on this. The president doesn't work for the press; he's not required to do anything they ask. If the press doesn't like that...tough ****. They can get off their asses and actually investigate a story for a change, rather than sit on their asses and wait for one to be handed to them.

In practice, it's little different from the Bush Administration's "we'll talk to you on our terms, not yours" attitude towards the press. (In principle, it's different in that the Bush Administration's position was based on the idea of "We serve the American people, you don't," whereas the Obama administration is simply trying to control the message. In practice...same result.)

And like I was for the Bush Administration, I'm solidly behind the Obama administration on this. The president doesn't work for the press; he's not required to do anything they ask. If the press doesn't like that...tough ****. They can get off their asses and actually investigate a story for a change, rather than sit on their asses and wait for one to be handed to them.

That's quite the point. They're so eager to please they won't be confused with Edward R. Murrow anytime soon. You'd have thought after blindly following W into Iraq they would have vowed, never again. However, first chance they got - they followed their guy with reckless abandon because he wasn't W. It wasn't so much as giving him a pass, they simply laid down on the job, and they're still there.

That's quite the point. They're so eager to please they won't be confused with Edward R. Murrow anytime soon. You'd have thought after blindly following W into Iraq they would have vowed, never again. However, first chance they got - they followed their guy with reckless abandon because he wasn't W. It wasn't so much as giving him a pass, they simply laid down on the job, and they're still there.

You and Tom are quite right. To me, it's the fallout from the commercialization of news. It's now "info-tainment".

I don't agree... Basically, during the W, the WH press corps as you alude to, had decended more to asking, and not investigating on it's own and had started taking their jobs of reporting, less seriously. Under W, Tony Snow in particular, came the reminder, that as a part of the prestigious WH press corps, it was a job of privelege, not one to be taken lightly... He reminded them that they had a job to report to the Amercan people, and not write "opinions" of what they heard....

All POTUS since I can remember, try to prepare themselves for a press briefing, knowing the questions that may be asked, and picking "reporters" they expect soft ball questions from... PBO I think, has taken this a step further though, limiting his appearances drastically, but also cutting the time to a minimum.... I would argue, it's no wonder even the soft ball media then, is throwing a curveball or slider instead... Don't get to question PBO very often, better try harder for the Pulitzer....

JMHO...

I don't agree... Basically, during the W, the WH press corps as you alude to, had decended more to asking, and not investigating on it's own and had started taking their jobs of reporting, less seriously. Under W, Tony Snow in particular, came the reminder, that as a part of the prestigious WH press corps, it was a job of privelege, not one to be taken lightly... He reminded them that they had a job to report to the Amercan people, and not write "opinions" of what they heard....

All POTUS since I can remember, try to prepare themselves for a press briefing, knowing the questions that may be asked, and picking "reporters" they expect soft ball questions from... PBO I think, has taken this a step further though, limiting his appearances drastically, but also cutting the time to a minimum.... I would argue, it's no wonder even the soft ball media then, is throwing a curveball or slider instead... Don't get to question PBO very often, better try harder for the Pulitzer....

JMHO...

Feel free to not agree. That just makes you look ridiculous, considering the Bush administration all but stated it more than once.

Freedom of the Press - does that include leaks?

Fox News & AP outs Seal Team 6 members identity

The Navy SEAL who used a pseudonym to write an upcoming book on the raid that killed Osama bin Laden has been revealed.

Penguin Books is publishing "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden" on Sept. 11 on its Dutton imprint — said the author used the pen name Mark Owen and changed the names of his fellow SEALs for security reasons.

Fox News published Owen's real name, saying he is a 36-year-old Alaskan and former member of the so-called Team 6 that killed bin Laden in a May 2011 assault on the al-Qaida chief's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. (The Associated Press also published his name; other news outlets, including CNN, chose not to do so.)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever