First preseason game (some good things)

Obviously, there were several things not to like about the first preseason game. I'd like to focus on some of the good things I saw:

1. Cordy Glenn did not look out of place or too slow. He still needs some more games but I would say he is athletic enough which seemed to be a question.

2. Ron Brooks got his hands on three balls and made a beautiful interception. No.46 made some plays and looked good. Nick Saenz reminds me of Kazoo head Mark Kelso, one of my favorite Bills safeties.

3. Kyle Moore- never heard of him- owned his man on consecutive pass plays in the second half; just pushed his man into the quarterback. I wanna see more of him.

4. John Potter did his thing. Moorman was very effective. What happened on that 22-yarder in the middle of the field? Glorified extra point.

5. I thought Sheppard,McKillop and Tank Carder were all very active. I am a little less worried now about the MLB job. We have young prospects.

Of course, all three QB's were pretty ineffective. Supposedly Vince Young picked it up in practice on Monday. Will Fitz continue to throw into double coverage? Stay tuned.

Will Fitz continue to throw into double coverage? Stay tuned.

With the improved defense and [hopefully] not being behind so often maybe Fitz won't feel the need to force it as often.

But my opinion is yes he will as long as the Bills are frequently in the pass happy 5-wide set.

With the improved defense and [hopefully] not being behind so often maybe Fitz won't feel the need to force it as often.

But my opinion is yes he will as long as the Bills are frequently in the pass happy 5-wide set.

I have a feeling the.bills will spread it out and run quite frequently

Top performers IMO. Brooks (He wowed me in that game), McKillop (Thankfully, we need a decent backup MLB), Merriman (He looked great, but we saw this last year in pre-season too). Moorman (I thought he looked great, never understood all the criticism). Chandler.

Sorry, but IMO, the offensive line looked awful from starters on down. I liked Hairston last year, but he struggled on the right in that game. Hopefully Pears comes back and can be effective. Glenn didn't look awful, but he didn't look very good either. Obviously it's early, so hopefully he improves quickly, we badly need him to be good.

Everyone knows this, but we have no WR's behind SJ. He looked fine, the rest of the WR corps looked worthless as expected. TJ Graham could be a nice weapon in spread formats, but he can never be a starter unless he loses his fear of defenders. He will drop 90% of balls where there is contact, or contact is imminent.

The good news here is that Chandler looked absolutely great to me, and Nelson should be back soon as our only other proven WR.

To blame Fitz for the problems above is just asinine. I thought he looked fine given the 1.5 seconds he had to throw every down.

Carder looked good, and seems to get to the ball on every play...Then can't figure out how to tackle the ball carrier.

Where was Bradham?

The refs were hilarious in this game. What league did they come from where it's a touchback when the ball is downed on the 5 yard line?

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I have a feeling the.bills will spread it out and run quite frequently

The Bills should try to emulate the Dallas Cowboys offense from the early 90's. We have the running backs and offensive line to be able to move the ball quite effectively on the ground. I fear that relying on Fitzpatrick and our current corps of receivers will be our downfall on offense this year. We need to stick to the strengths of this team and be bullheaded about it. Run, run, run, then run some more. We need to line up in the power I formation and let the running game open up the passing game.

Some might say the game has changed and that strategy won't work, but I disagree. We need to go against the grain and bring back old school football. If you're a corvette, I want to he a hummer. I'm rolling over your ass. That's what I would like to see out of our Bills.

Overall I liked what I had seen out of our defense. When they won on a play, they won big, allowing only a yard or two, but when the defensive line broke down or got beat I noticed our linebackers weren't there to effectively clean it up. I hope Wannstedt and company can figure out a scheme that can hide the weaknesses of our linebacking corps because I fear they will prove to be the Achilles heal of this defense.

I don't want to come across as doom and gloom, because the Bills are headed in the right direction, but we're still an unfinished product. We need a number two receiver and we need our young linebackers to rise to the occasion. We might not see our defense at their very best until about mid-season. Our linebackers will be better prepared and more experienced to help this defense achieve their goals with a few games under their belts.

The Bills should try to emulate the Dallas Cowboys offense from the early 90's. We have the running backs and offensive line to be able to move the ball quite effectively on the ground. I fear that relying on Fitzpatrick and our current corps of receivers will be our downfall on offense this year. We need to stick to the strengths of this team and be bullheaded about it. Run, run, run, then run some more. We need to line up in the power I formation and let the running game open up the passing game.

I agree with you, based on where our talent lies on offense.

Two problems though, no one runs the power I any more, and if they did Gailey would be the last to use it.

Gailey seems pretty intent on running a college style offense. He want's to use spread formations, often out of the shotgun, and he want's to use the wild cat.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but we won't see much power running. Hopefully we do still see plenty of FJ and CJ though, this type of offense could be particularly good for CJ, who I don't think could play in power formations.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Obviously, there were several things not to like about the first preseason game. I'd like to focus on some of the good things I saw:

1. Cordy Glenn did not look out of place or too slow. He still needs some more games but I would say he is athletic enough which seemed to be a question.

2. Ron Brooks got his hands on three balls and made a beautiful interception. No.46 made some plays and looked good. Nick Saenz reminds me of Kazoo head Mark Kelso, one of my favorite Bills safeties.

3. Kyle Moore- never heard of him- owned his man on consecutive pass plays in the second half; just pushed his man into the quarterback. I wanna see more of him.

4. John Potter did his thing. Moorman was very effective. What happened on that 22-yarder in the middle of the field? Glorified extra point.

5. I thought Sheppard,McKillop and Tank Carder were all very active. I am a little less worried now about the MLB job. We have young prospects.

Of course, all three QB's were pretty ineffective. Supposedly Vince Young picked it up in practice on Monday. Will Fitz continue to throw into double coverage? Stay tuned.

I agree I thought Moorman was spectacular. Johnny White looked good. Ron Brooks did look good, needs work but very promising athlete. One correction though-all 3 QBs didn't look terrible, all "4" QBs looked terrible.

Interesting comment from a Vikings board of a fan looking to Friday's game. Everyone else seems to know the Bills Achilles heel has been, is, and apparently will continue to be the offensive line. "

"I was in Buffalo for the Redskins-Bills game, and as long as we can shut down the passing game, we should be fine. Their O-line is very average, and I'm being really generous about that. Their starters didn't attempt a run at all, and it's not like CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson are good enough to overcome their O-line's shortcomings, and our line is good enough to either bottle them up or chase them down if they can slip through the line. "

I was in Buffalo for the Redskins-Bills game, and as long as we can shut down the passing game, we should be fine. Their O-line is very average, and I'm being really generous about that. Their starters didn't attempt a run at all, and it's not like CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson are good enough to overcome their O-line's shortcomings, and our line is good enough to either bottle them up or chase them down if they can slip through the line.

Interesting comment from a Vikings board of a fan looking to Friday's game. Everyone else seems to know the Bills Achilles heel has been, is, and apparently will continue to be the offensive line. "

"I was in Buffalo for the Redskins-Bills game, and as long as we can shut down the passing game, we should be fine. Their O-line is very average, and I'm being really generous about that. Their starters didn't attempt a run at all, and it's not like CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson are good enough to overcome their O-line's shortcomings, and our line is good enough to either bottle them up or chase them down if they can slip through the line. "

I was in Buffalo for the Redskins-Bills game, and as long as we can shut down the passing game, we should be fine. Their O-line is very average, and I'm being really generous about that. Their starters didn't attempt a run at all, and it's not like CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson are good enough to overcome their O-line's shortcomings, and our line is good enough to either bottle them up or chase them down if they can slip through the line.

We had three guys either out or playing out of position. On top of all that it was the first preseason game of the year. When Wood and Pears return and Urbik goes back to his natural spot at RG I'm sure the offensive line will be fine.

Stupid vikings fan. And uniformed. Vikings will win no more than 5 games this year. My coworker is a viking fan but also a REALIST. Ponder is super bad. Top 5 in the worst qb category imo. (Not counting stats)

Does the stupid fan not know that Freddy was leading league or was #2 just before he got injured???

Stupid vikings fan. And uniformed. Vikings will win no more than 5 games this year. My coworker is a viking fan but also a REALIST. Ponder is super bad. Top 5 in the worst qb category imo. (Not counting stats)

Does the stupid fan not know that Freddy was leading league or was #2 just before he got injured???

Well, at least his uniform made him easy to spot as a Vikings fan.

GO BILLS!!!

If Aaron Williams struggles early in the year, don't be surprised if Ron Brooks becomes a starting corner.

Mind you, I like Williams and am rooting for him to succeed, big time -- but he has had some difficulties in camp. Best case scenario is that Aaron plays well and the Bills have a starting-quality DB playing nickel or the slot.

We had three guys either out or playing out of position. On top of all that it was the first preseason game of the year. When Wood and Pears return and Urbik goes back to his natural spot at RG I'm sure the offensive line will be fine.

Don't we ALWAYS have three guys either out or playing out of position?

If Aaron Williams struggles early in the year, don't be surprised if Ron Brooks becomes a starting corner.

Mind you, I like Williams and am rooting for him to succeed, big time -- but he has had some difficulties in camp. Best case scenario is that Aaron plays well and the Bills have a starting-quality DB playing nickel or the slot.

Williams also did not look good in this game.

And you put credence in something an anonymous, random Viking fan has to say?

WOW.

Yeah, I mentioned this on Friday. Brooks is a seriously natural ball athlete. Real smooth, effortless.

Williams looks like he's fighting things right now.

Agreed eball. I think brooks will be the starter sooner rather than later. While I want to believe Williams is going to be a solid corner, I believe Brooks is already a solid corner. I think Williams will get the shot now, but Brooks will surpass him this year. I hope I'm wrong and Gilmore and Williams start, while brooks mans the nickel. It seems like a perfect spot for him. Great tackler and even better burst. Les Miles called him "violent". I love it. Go Ron Brooks go!!!!

If what you're writing about was the best things you could see, I hope you were hammered. I don't think you were though as I am still trying to watch it to learn what happened.

It is a good thing that most fans know preseason truly is absolutely meaningless, cuz it was horrible....

You were crazy streching on 4 & 5, ha-ha!

I wasn't worried about LB at all untill I heard that Moats is taking over...l.then I watched that game and said eep!

Just remember....meaningless, everything, meaningless....

Oh yeah, I can't believe you didn't mention Dareus and Kyle. Dareus was good but, Kyle was superman! I mean really amazing. Now, you might think, "yeah, but we knew that."

That is not the case bills fan, as nobody saw him play against another team since his major surgery. He looked as good as ever in those few plays. If we can get Super close to his level of play vs. the run and the pass, right there, just those two guys, and Dareus....we will be fun to watch and no pushover.

The secondary was also a disaster. Good thing we drafted Gilmore cuz we need him baaaaaaddddd. McKelvin was getting picked on and Williams did not look ready in that game anyways.... I use to think how nice it would be if we lucked out and got McGee back. Now, I think it maybe a must (if we are to compete for the prize). And we need Justin Rogers back to practice yesterday! C'mon Rogers! I know you are Captain America! We need Williams and McKelvin to gain confidence as well. It is a long season you need lots of corners, let's go guys!

Stevie also looked like an all pro too.....which is nice to see....Chandler has the size and hands to have a monster year.....so, how many great players do we have now? Let's see.... O - Freddy/CJ, Levitre, Wood (in a couple weeks) and Stevie. What we need on O is for Fitz, Chandler, nelson and Pears to join the first five this year..... On D - Kyle, Dareus, Barnett, Super, Byrd and Mr. Wilson.... What we need is Merriman, McGee, Mr. anderson, Gilmore and Sheppard to join the first six. Merriman coming all the way back would do more than adding a probowler. The man was a monster in S.D. Just him and McGee on D puts us in SB range ( if he were truly back). McGee would be huge too (not like Light's Out) I'm telling ya.....our secondary would firm up like concrete if he could do it.....then have A&W as your nickel and Rogers as your dime and McKelvin on the bench! That's a mighty fine secondary right there, I'm tellin' ya....

Yep, to have Merriman easily take over the RE spot and have a starting D-line of Super, Dareus, Kyle and Light's Out would be dream-like; perhaps the best Ine ever... And with our best secondary ever to pair with it we can get by with Moats as our one-down SOLB....

More babblings.....if they have trouble with that SOLB spot going into the season, look for wanny to perhaps mix things up. You see, Scott played great last year and looks even better this year ( he has more muscle knowing he is not a safety and he knows his role cold). So what they would do is start Scott at WOLB, push Barnett to MLB and move Sheppard to SOLB. All three players can play their position well. The down-side is there is more wear and tear on Barnett this way. Not only is Barnett older and a little smallish, but Sheppard is young and built to specs for a MLB ( ideally, he would be even bigger, see Urlacher, but Sheppard is our biggest backer by far ( maybe nigel is close?) so there is a bad side.... Barnett is very valuable to us. He is one of our always on the field, great player guys we need to keep healthy.... Ahhhh, screw that move!

But note that I got it from wanny.... I am sticking with Captain Kirk Morrison as my guess for opening day starter in week one.....

I am laughing now as it hit me that wanny really is worried about that SOLB spot. Not only did he suppose the Scott lineup, he also pointed out (a couple times!) how Scott is going to play way more than the starting SOLB (65\35 Scott)...

No more.....

Well, at least his uniform made him easy to spot as a Vikings fan.

GO BILLS!!!

If what you're writing about was the best things you could see, I hope you were hammered. I don't think you were though as I am still trying to watch it to learn what happened.

It is a good thing that most fans know preseason truly is absolutely meaningless, cuz it was horrible....

You were crazy streching on 4 & 5, ha-ha!

I wasn't worried about LB at all untill I heard that Moats is taking over...l.then I watched that game and said eep!

Just remember....meaningless, everything, meaningless....

Oh yeah, I can't believe you didn't mention Dareus and Kyle. Dareus was good but, Kyle was superman! I mean really amazing. Now, you might think, "yeah, but we knew that."

That is not the case bills fan, as nobody saw him play against another team since his major surgery. He looked as good as ever in those few plays. If we can get Super close to his level of play vs. the run and the pass, right there, just those two guys, and Dareus....we will be fun to watch and no pushover.

The secondary was also a disaster. Good thing we drafted Gilmore cuz we need him baaaaaaddddd. McKelvin was getting picked on and Williams did not look ready in that game anyways.... I use to think how nice it would be if we lucked out and got McGee back. Now, I think it maybe a must (if we are to compete for the prize). And we need Justin Rogers back to practice yesterday! C'mon Rogers! I know you are Captain America! We need Williams and McKelvin to gain confidence as well. It is a long season you need lots of corners, let's go guys!

Stevie also looked like an all pro too.....which is nice to see....Chandler has the size and hands to have a monster year.....so, how many great players do we have now? Let's see.... O - Freddy/CJ, Levitre, Wood (in a couple weeks) and Stevie. What we need on O is for Fitz, Chandler, nelson and Pears to join the first five this year..... On D - Kyle, Dareus, Barnett, Super, Byrd and Mr. Wilson.... What we need is Merriman, McGee, Mr. anderson, Gilmore and Sheppard to join the first six. Merriman coming all the way back would do more than adding a probowler. The man was a monster in S.D. Just him and McGee on D puts us in SB range ( if he were truly back). McGee would be huge too (not like Light's Out) I'm telling ya.....our secondary would firm up like concrete if he could do it.....then have A&W as your nickel and Rogers as your dime and McKelvin on the bench! That's a mighty fine secondary right there, I'm tellin' ya....

Yep, to have Merriman easily take over the RE spot and have a starting D-line of Super, Dareus, Kyle and Light's Out would be dream-like; perhaps the best Ine ever... And with our best secondary ever to pair with it we can get by with Moats as our one-down SOLB....

More babblings.....if they have trouble with that SOLB spot going into the season, look for wanny to perhaps mix things up. You see, Scott played great last year and looks even better this year ( he has more muscle knowing he is not a safety and he knows his role cold). So what they would do is start Scott at WOLB, push Barnett to MLB and move Sheppard to SOLB. All three players can play their position well. The down-side is there is more wear and tear on Barnett this way. Not only is Barnett older and a little smallish, but Sheppard is young and built to specs for a MLB ( ideally, he would be even bigger, see Urlacher, but Sheppard is our biggest backer by far ( maybe nigel is close?) so there is a bad side.... Barnett is very valuable to us. He is one of our always on the field, great player guys we need to keep healthy.... Ahhhh, screw that move!

But note that I got it from wanny.... I am sticking with Captain Kirk Morrison as my guess for opening day starter in week one.....

I am laughing now as it hit me that wanny really is worried about that SOLB spot. Not only did he suppose the Scott lineup, he also pointed out (a couple times!) how Scott is going to play way more than the starting SOLB (65\35 Scott)...

No more.....

Nice catch K-9. Meant to type uninformed. Lol.

Our front four is a run stopping machine now!!!! Good call on kyle and dareus.