Marcus Easley....the new James Hardy

K-Gun10

"Marcus Easley appeared to be getting squeezed out of reps with the second unit Monday. Ruvell Martin, David Clowney and Naaman Roosevelt were all getting reps ahead of the former fourth-round pick Monday. It’s only one day. We’ll monitor it to see if it continues."

Starting to see quotes such as this day in and day out...not good. At least he has "a great upside" and "unlimited potential". He is probably going to wait until his 4th or 5th year to "unleash" it....kind of like McKelvin is according to people on this board.

Edited by Booger

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Marcus Easley appeared to be getting squeezed out of reps with the second unit Monday. Ruvell Martin, David Clowney and Naaman Roosevelt were all getting reps ahead of the former fourth-round pick Monday. It’s only one day. We’ll monitor it to see if it continues."

Starting to see quotes such as this day in and day out...not good. At least he has "a great upside" and "unlimited potential". He is probably going to wait until his 4th or 5th year to "unleash" it....kind of like McKelvin is according to people on this board.

This sounds a lot like: "Three men enter, only one survives". I believe the coaches are giving these three guys reps to see who gets cut next.

I thought Easley was a lock but now I'm wondering if Roosevelt is making himself too valuable? They guy knows the offense and catches anything thrown to him.

PTR

That's how you make a football team being too valuable. I like Roosie way more than Easley, just because he has done it in games before and I think Fitz trusts him which cant be underestimated when the coaching staff talks about who to cut.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that sees this but Marcus and the injuries and the lack of play just makes me think of James Hardy ; an athlete that just doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyone else think this way

Sorry, I just think this comparison was way off.

Hardy was considered one of the top WR's in that entire draft. Hardy looked awful when he was on the field, then got hurt, then beat up his dad.

Easley was a mid-round sleeper pick, who has looked pretty good when he has been on the field. He Blew out his knee and had heart problems.

Sure, they both got hurt, but that's a comparison you could make with about 1000 other NFL players...

This time of year, these types of quotes make perfect sense. Martin, Clowney, and Roosevelt all are somewhat long shot's to make the team. The Bills are probably giving these guys extended looks right now to see who (if any of them) survive the next round of cuts. I don't know that it necessarily mean Easley is bombing out.

Judging from what I have seen of Clowney, this guy is as good as gone... Or should be anyway, he stood out to me as the worst player on the roster on Thursday.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that sees this but Marcus and the injuries and the lack of play just makes me think of James Hardy ; an athlete that just doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyone else think this way

In regards to the amount of dropped passes, I compare him to Josh Reed as Reed had a ton of dropped passes in his first four seasons as a Bill. Easley is a big, physical WR, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy, and has been too inconsistent.

This sounds a lot like: "Three men enter, only one survives". I believe the coaches are giving these three guys reps to see who gets cut next.

I think it's down to Martin and Roosevelt.

Martin: (+) Solid on special teams (-) Having a good camp but not known for having good hands.

Roosevelt: (+) Velcro hands, even when getting hit. Made plays in real games. (-) Probably a good punt catcher but otherwise of no use on special teams.

PTR

Easley was a mid-round sleeper pick, who has looked pretty good when he has been on the field. He Blew out his knee and had heart problems.

When has he been on the field? His NFL career stat's.............................all zero's.

When has he been on the field? His NFL career stat's.............................all zero's.

On the field, yes that's what I said. I didn't say regular season games. Training camps, pre-season games, ect...

I'll explain my stance on Easley a bit more for further clarity.

My point, and that post, was simply that his situation was not comparable to Hardy's. Hardy was a guy that failed miserably on and off the field as a high draft pick, his injury was just a foot note.

Easley has looked pretty good at times, but doesn't seem to catch the ball consistently. I don't think he's "great" (how could anyone, no ones seen enough), but I definitely think hes good enough to beat out the other scrubs the Bills have at WR.

I think his reported reduction in playing time today, was simply to get a closer look at the guys on the bubble (I'm thinking Clowney doesn't survive the next round of cuts). All other accounts of Easley seem to have been good.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think is boils down to their are people that believe in potential and people that believe in Results....

Easley is the very common blend of potential with limited results...

as a Bills fan you HAVE to want him to be sucessful, but as Bills fan you have to be a realist

Don't even in say that because Roosevelt would be a great Wes Welker understudy. You can see him excelling at the role. :sick: :sick: :sick:

I agree to a certain extent.

Did you see his first catch in the NFL? Then the one against the Giants?

He does seem to have velcro hands and has no fear to go after the ball. Those two qualities tend to do one well in the NFL, even without elite NFL speed.

The Chargers and Dolphins thought Welker was camp fodder too.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I agree to a certain extent.

Did you see his first catch in the NFL? Then the one against the Giants?

He does seem to have velcro hands and has no fear to go after the ball. Those two qualities tend to do one well in the NFL, even without elite NFL speed.

The Chargers and Dolphins thought Welker was camp fodder too.

Welker in any NFL system would be but Belichick knows how to use him. Much like Brady, the Patriots take good players and make them look like superstars.

Welker in any NFL system would be but Belichick knows how to use him. Much like Brady, the Patriots take good players and make them look like superstars.

Hence the original statement that I can see Roosevelt pning that Wes Welker role for the Pats and that would make me :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

How was Marcus a sleeper pick when has he ever played in a regular season game. That is crazy to call him a sleeper pick

Are you familiar with his career at UConn?

Easley is the poster boy for sleeper pick.

How was Marcus a sleeper pick when has he ever played in a regular season game. That is crazy to call him a sleeper pick

This is just a confusing post...How can a guy play a regular season game before he is drafted? He certainly played at UConn.

I'm not sure what you consider a sleeper pick to be, but for me it's a guy with big skills potential that doesn't get the same hype as other players at that talent level. After he was drafted the term "sleeper pick" was used quite frequently to describe Easley, I didn't make it up. A guy taken in the 4th round, with 2nd round potential (again, yes I know he hasn't shown it yet).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

So if Welker went to SD now, or Denver, or NO or GB, they wouldn't know how to use him? He would suddenly no be able to catch the ball from the slot?

On the field, yes that's what I said. I didn't say regular season games. Training camps, pre-season games, ect...

The only thing that matters is Sunday. All that rest doesn't translate into W's. We have not seen the playoffs in 12 years so there is no time to get sentimental about guys that can't get to the field and help you win on Sunday.

You mention he played a lot at U Conn......................not according to this, couldn't get off the bench for 3 years

http://www.nfl.com/player/marcuseasley/497286/draft