QB will be the reason we still can't get it done

Toshiero

Fitz was the reason the Bills were behind in many of the games. Ineffective QB play and no moving of the ball leaves the defense out there a lot, especially when you turn the ball over a ton too, suck on 3rd down, and lead the league in going 3 and out, but Fitz is really good at getting garbage time stats. He was 16th in the NFL in yards per game, that is the real stat, not yards, that is average. His TDs are a by product of playing from behind too and that Chan just does not run the ball. None of these things are opinion, they are all fact.

So wait, is he average, as you say here, or is he "terrible" and the "worst unchallenged starting QB in the NFL", as you said in the other thread?

Average I agree with (as I've said many, many times including in this very thread)..."terrible" is hyperbole.

By the way, if you want to talk facts, every stat I posted is fact as well...you can say his TDs are a product of playing from behind, but can't I say that his interceptions are as well, since they are a result of him having to force plays to make up for a defense that couldn't stop anyone last year?

Two sides to that argument...even you have to be reasonable enough to see that dichotomy.

Blind to reason? how about you fitz fanatics quit being blind to reality? He is a below average QB who has more than peaked with any potential he had. He is on the same level of RJ, JP, Edwards and the other clowns the Bills have tried to parade as quality starters since Jim Kelly retired.

And another thing, I don't have to like the guy. Being a fan doesn't mean kissing ass and drinking the koolaid. The guy is what he is and many of us see it and with this being a BILLS BOARD we have the right to discuss whatever BILLS related topics we want and NOT be happy with X player or players or even how the team is ran or by its ownership. Somehow the koolaid drinkers seem to miss that.

Educated fans look at his body of work and Yesterdays performance (preseason or not) is much like his norm. Therefore although its preseason, we have reason to worry.

Right, the guy that finished in the top 10 in the NFL in completion percentage last year normally completes 6 out of 15 passes...

You're not doing much for your credibility stating things like the above.

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's just call this the "Fitz haters thread" and everyone with sanitybshould just back out and let Toshiero, Paintmyhouse, and the other few members of the blind to reason, anti Fitz club pat each other on the back about how a few series in the first preseason game validates them.

What he said.

Which magically coincided with the London Fletcher hit...amazing

What I find amazing is how fans of a team, who, theoretically want their team to strive for the best, to win a super bowl, continually support loser QB after loser QB. Allowing this franchise to pull the wool over their eyes, and then have the naivety to show such blind optimism every preseason... Hello? McFly?

I want the Bills to win a super bowl, I don't want them languishing in the doldrums until Ralph Wilson dies and the team is moved. Maybe it's too late for that, thanks to all the gullible fans that never had the balls to demand better in fear of their team leaving.

Maybe the reason this town is so full of gullible fans, is that most of the realistic, intelligent and logical folks left for greener economic pastures. Ralph Wilson sure knew what he was doing when he setup shop here...

I could recite an Albert Einstein quote here, but why bother, I doubt many of you know who he is...

Edited by ETD66SS

Fitz isnt there to win us games, he is there to manage games and give us the opportunity to win. Thats what he did when we were winning. Let our defense keeps us in the game, the running game make most of the yards and only use the pass when needed if fitz passes for 200 odd yards 1 or 2 TD's and 1 INT max then we will be able in a position to win most games.

But he's wasn't re-signed to that large contract to simply be a game manager. Sure it's one pre-season game, but Fitz has 30 starts in Gailey's offense with receivers who he ought to be familiar with by now.

Say what you will about him keeping them in games, but he has a penchant for turning it over when it hurts the most. The Giants game last season was a prime example, and there simply aren't many teams who get into the playoffs with a game manager type at QB. I think Gailey's reputation as a good offensive mind will be significantly tested this year. Furthermore, it took into the fourth game of the season last year before teams figured out Buffalo's offense. No matter how good the defense is, the offense needs to carry their weight.

What I find amazing is how fans of a team, who, theoretically want their team to strive for the best, to win a super bowl, continually support loser QB after loser QB. Allowing this franchise to pull the wool over their eyes, and then have the naivety to show such blind optimism every preseason... Hello? McFly?

I want the Bills to win a super bowl, I don't want them languishing in the doldrums until Ralph Wilson dies and the team is moved. Maybe it's too late for that, thanks to all the gullible fans that never had the balls to demand better in fear of their team leaving.

Maybe the reason this town is so full of gullible fans, is that most of the realistic, intelligent and logical folks left for greener economic pastures. Ralph Wilson sure knew what he was doing when he setup shop here...

I could recite an Albert Einstein quote here, but why bother, I doubt many of you know who he is...

So let me get this straight, we're all gullible idiots because we don't agree with you that Fitz sucks?

Excellent. Very logical, reasonable disposition you have there.

By the way, implying that you're smarter than people you don't know, simply because we don't share your opinion, is very, very stupid.

Very stupid indeed.

I cannot imagine how those of us that believe Fitz to be an average NFL QB at worst, that don't over-react to a pre-season game, are allowing the wool to be pulled over our eyes. Why is it so preposterous to you that the organization saw good things from Fitz last year, and want to give him a second full season (plus an off-season) as a starter to see if he can get the job done? Do you mean to tell me that they won't move on from him if he cannot?

EDIT: Actually, don't answer that...I just realized that I don't care for your undoubtedly condescending response.

Edited by thebandit27

Since when does an offensive performance in pre-season mean anything? The FACT is that Fitz looked great in the beginning of last year before he broke his ribs and our WR/OLine/Freddy were cut down by injuries. Your pessimism is pretty annoying, but I'm sure you'll jump right back on the wagon without hesitation when this TEAM is successful. Your use of "we" is actually insulting. You're nothing but a troll, please leave this site to knowledgeable Bills fans.

The FACT is that Fitz was not as impressive as the Myth is about his start. He had multiple game ending mistakes overturned by unrelated penalties that he eventually capitalized on, but without the 2nd chance we lose and his stats are not nearly as impressive. NE for instance, he threw a game ending lame duck bomb to endzone that is 10 yards short and intercepted. But he was bailed out by a penalty that had no impact on the play.

Facts are he has not ever had a complete season worth talking about. Facts are he has never been an accurate QB consistently. Facts are he is one of streakiest QB's in NFL. Facts are he has yet to be good enough to win games through a whole season. Facts are for every great game he has had since being in Buffalo he has had 3 bad ones.

So, this is why people are still hesitant about what we can accomplish this season with him at the helm. I personally have higher hopes for him than I had in the past given he has been working on his mechanics and I won't read too much into one game. The reason being, its one thing to focus on mechanics in drills, its a whole other ball game during live action. So it will take some time for him to adjust to using those new mechanics in live game action. Plus, assuming our D and run game are as good as they look on paper, then Fitz wont have to press and just take what the D gives him. So, I will give him a pass this week on this game knowing that it will take some time for him to incorporate those mechanics.

That being said, this teams season is going to hinge on whether Fitz can move the ball. Lets all hope this was not what we should expect and that with some more game time he will work the kinks out.

Educated fans look at his body of work and Yesterdays performance (preseason or not) is much like his norm. Therefore although its preseason, we have reason to worry.

So let me get this straight.... Because its Fitz, preseason is meaningful but every other QB who plays poorly in pre season gets a pass?

My take on the offense was that Gailey wants to see who he has as a #2, #3, #4 WR on this team and had the QB's throw throw throw.

At this point I'm more concerned about who is going to step up and start catching the ball, run the proper route, make the reads at the line then I am about the QB position

Big dropoff between Stevie and the rest of the pack...

Isn't this gailey's second and in one case third year evaluating these scrubs? Other than Graham the cast is the same. Clowney? Give us a break Chan. Ditto with R. Martin.

Sorry no one past sj13 inspires anyone. Quarterback is the same story. Although I would cut thigpen and get Young some reps.

Edited by Best Player Available

Gaileys offense has been figured out by the rest of the league and so has Fitz. They know he is limited. If Gailey was this genius OC many claim he is, he would do the right thing and change his approach and better use what offensive talent we do have.

Based on what I’ve read, Fitz ran the no huddle and called plays for all of his 15 or 16 whatever it was plays. There was no game plan, no agenda no plan. I think what we saw is Fitz isn’t ready to call his own plays. That aligns pretty well with what I saw. The only bothersome part is with Washington sticking to a 3-4, they really should have had WR’s on linebackers getting open fast.

He also worked the ball downfield with intermediate to deep passes. He actually hit Stevie Johnson for a touchdown that was called back on an Illegal formation technicality. Protection was overpowered. Reads were off.

The first team came out and ran a series of passing drills and tested out the no huddle under live fire. They were empty backfield half the time. Nix himself would fire Chan if they went into a real game anywhere close to this way.

The skins on the other hand had a balance scripted drive to start help the rookie build some confidence.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I wasnt worried about fitz as much as not running a single play in a formation other then shotgun, we have 2 excellent running backs we need to use them.

It is pre-season, which is used for evaluating players and practice on things that need improving. The Bills running game is good and doesn't really need to be used as much in the 1st pre-season game. They need work with passing, more so for the O-line and to see what we have in our WR's. I really wouldn't get that upset bout them not running the ball in the 1st quarter of a pre-season game!

So what good does this route running clinic do if Fitz can't hit them? He was under/over throwing open receivers all night. He was in camp right? Oh that's right, poor baby is worried about his hurtsy side. Or whatever new alibi comes up.

Pretty sure Fitz only played in the first half. Maybe 20 snaps. So "He was under/over throwing open receivers all night" is a little over the top. It was the 1st pre-season game. Easy big guy don't get so upset!

the difference is Brady, Brees and Rogers have players around them. Check out Brees prior to coming over the the Saints pretty cut and dry

That's the only difference really ? Come on. This makes no sense. Brees will throw to anyone same with Brady. The difference is in skill,

velocity, and not throwing INT after INT like Fitz. To compare Fitz to any of the 3 you mention is way way far fetched IMO.

And another thing, I don't have to like the guy. Being a fan doesn't mean kissing ass and drinking the koolaid. The guy is what he is and many of us see it and with this being a BILLS BOARD we have the right to discuss whatever BILLS related topics we want and NOT be happy with X player or players or even how the team is ran or by its ownership. Somehow the koolaid drinkers seem to miss that.

Seems as though u dont like anything about the organization. Coaches, owners, players,,,,ect. So why are u a bills fan? I am serious. You don't like anything about the team, except for crying about everything related to the bills.

the difference is Brady, Brees and Rogers have players around them. Check out Brees prior to coming over the the Saints pretty cut and dry

Oh the team around him stuff. I see a QB, with Lot's of time, miss a wide open receiver not by inches but yards. It's the team around him? And he does it time and again? And I am not talking timing patterns were maybe it was the receivers fault. Just beat[or have no] coverage receiver and Fitz fails.

Look I wanted to see Fitz do well as much as anyone. But I saw what I saw.