Went to the game... just returned home...

Cordy Glenn was owned the first play of the game by Orakpo. Buffalos offense went 4 and 5 wide every play for the first quarter (almost half). Fitz didn't look too good - throws were weak and some overthrown. Had one missle to Chandler for about 20-25 yards in stride - catched looked great. We had 2 TDs called back - defensive fumble return by George Wilson and a TD pass to Stevie. Ron Brooks looked really good. Aaron Williams missed the easiest tackle ever. The D-line was incredible for the first 2 defensive series but after got lit.

I have no idea what they are doing at St. John Fisher but I hope everything was incredibly vanilla today...

Oh and TJ Graham is fast as hell... definitely looks like a bigger Roscoe!

Edited by Frostbelt City

Last year I thought this team fell apart when Gailey abandonded the run. Fitz is average and gets worse when asked to carry the team. Going 4 and 5 wides kinda points in a pass happy direcection even if it is preseason. It is not a good sign of a producing offense IMO.

Last year I thought this team fell apart when Gailey abandonded the run. Fitz is average and gets worse when asked to carry the team. Going 4 and 5 wides kinda points in a pass happy direcection even if it is preseason. It is not a good sign of a producing offense IMO.

Maybe they are still afraid to let the RBs take hits? :death:

The first quarter of the first preseason game isn't a sign of anything - direction of the offense, producing offense, impending apocalypse

Guessing: Chan wanted to see how the WR run their timing routes against more contact, and DBs that don't know the playbook.

"Look like they need ketsup" seems to be the answer.

Edited by Hopeful

Remember - writing even if it's preseason is like half a step removed from even if it was pick up basketball I didn't like how the team looked. You really have no idea what the goals were tonight.

I do not expect 100% passing from our first team.

Edited by NoSaint

WR's are the achilles heel of this team. Besides Johnson, no one is a threat to the defense. A bunch of guys who would be 4th and 5th WR's on other teams. Graham looks promising but can't rely on a rookie WR. What is the point of going 5 wide when 4 of the WR's can be singled covered and you can blitz the crap out of Fitz with an empty back-field?

WR's are the achilles heel of this team. Besides Johnson, no one is a threat to the defense. A bunch of guys who would be 4th and 5th WR's on other teams. Graham looks promising but can't rely on a rookie WR. What is the point of going 5 wide when 4 of the WR's can be singled covered and you can blitz the crap out of Fitz with an empty back-field?

I didn't understand what the purpose was of tonight's offensive gameplan. Going 5-wide & 4-wide and not a single running play?

I guess preseason is when you do these things. I'm not that concerned about the offensive playcalling tonight, but the WR corps really needs to step up. David Nelson was missed tonight.

It's almost impossible to cover 5 receivers and blitz the crap out of the QB at the same time. The only way to do it is if 2 corners or the 2 safeties blitz and even then it's only a 5 man rush. I know we're all in panic mode already but try and keep the exaggeration down a little.

Edited by biglukes

I didn't understand what the purpose was of tonight's offensive gameplan. Going 5-wide & 4-wide and not a single running play?

I guess preseason is when you do these things. I'm not that concerned about the offensive playcalling tonight, but the WR corps really needs to step up. David Nelson was missed tonight.

Guess they're not worried about our running game. I think they really wanted to see which of the receivers could play well in game situations. Who could handle the bumps & hits from DBs.

Tell that to Ryan Mathews after he got hit in his first run of the first PRESEASON game:

https://twitter.com/UTgehlken/statuses/233767137548832768

Ryan Mathews suffered broken clavicle. Out 4 to 6 weeks.