Bills offense is going no huddle

If this game against Washington is any indication of how skilled Fitz is at calling his own plays, I may want the "Chaninator" to rethink handing the reigns over to Fitz too soon. I kept hearing Tasker say "Fitz is driving the car and Chan has agreed to let him drive the offense tonight" but does that mean Fitz has the keys to daddy's car just for the night or for the season?? I counted 13-14 pass plays, no rushing attempts, and a pretty dismal completion percentage. I know this is preseason and maybe they wanted to test out some offensive schemes that they had trouble with in practice, but holy smokes, this Fitz "play calling" offense looked like Vince Ferragamo of the 1980's.

Here's an idea,let Fitz concentrate on his mechanics, let Freddie and CJ gain some confidence in their running game, call some plays in to Fitz via that fancy shmancy headphone thingy and see how he does executing the plays you call into the huddle. If you leave the offensive play calling to him too early, the nice young man from Harvard may start pressing too much and we'll be in a world of hurt before the regular season starts. If this is just Chan's way of throwing everyone else off - by letting Fitz have some fun during preseason - then I don't have a problem with that....especially if it allows us to suprise the Jets with new plays, etc. But at least give us some entertainment on the offensive side of the football. I saw very little from the offense tonight and not sure giving Fitz that much discretion in playcalling is a good idea.

Go Bills!!

They threw out of the shotgun on all 12 plays and Fitz did the play calling. It was not at a real fast pace but the plays were called at the line with no huddling. He was under a lot of pressure too. The announcers said Chan handed the keys over to Fitz. No runs at all so I hope this is just situational.

Is Fitz good enough to run a no huddle offense? He led the league in interceptions last year, we only have 1 top receiver and we have two great running backs. Don't know about this one.

Calling plays, per-snap changes is Fitz's strength. If the coaches start trusting the OL, this is a perfect situation for the Bills to go no huddle for many series. We have all the makings of a team built for it: A smart QB, a good Center in Wood, versatile RB in FJax who is adept at blocking also, mix of medium (Chandler, SJohnson) to deep threat (TJ). The only problem is Fitz's accuracy. Else, I would not in the least bit surprised to see a lot of play calling by Fitz and moves towards the no huddle.

Perhaps the 2-3 series we saw were a test-drive. Yes they bombed, but the intent was there. When you make such drastic changes, they are unlikely to succeed from the outset.

Did I miss the season? Calm down people its the first preseason game

I hear ya - but with the rough ending to last season, would have been nice to put Fitz in a position to lead a nice drive for the first 6-8 plays...if they want to tinker with "rust spots" and problematic schemes after, that's great. But Fitz needs to build some confidence in his new throwing technique before you hand the reigns over to him completely. First game or not.

I usually don't put much merit into the amount of posts my fellow TBDers have, but it seems like the more seasoned members have a better grasp on what we saw out there tonight. It was the first preseason game of the year guys. It was clearly situational football. I saw some bright spots and some not so bright spots. I thought Glenn played very well and Brooks had a solid outing. Fitz wasn't brilliant, but neither was Tom Brady and Drew Brees tonight. Aaron Rodgers was 2/8 for 16 yards and a pick for pete's sake. So back away from the ledge.

Well there's a couple of ways to interpit no huddle we saw tonite. The no huddle they ran with Fitz was more of a test of him recoginizing the defense, and making the adustments,in a slow paced situation.His was A bit different than the other more poplular no huddles made and executed in the past.

A step forward for Fitz if he can hit the targets.

Edited by Best Player Available

I have been thinking about this, we have two above average RB's a decent slot (Nelson) and a decent, tall Tight End and not forgetting SJ. We could cause some serious match-up problems whether it is Spiller's speed, Chandler's height or just Jackson's verstatility.

The no-huddle offense that was supposedly attempted last night, or was hoped to (I didn't get to watch the game), is a quick scoring offense. I think it is great in its potential, and we probably have a QB who could handle it. However, when I look at this team that has been built over the last 2 years, I see a team that might profit from going in a different direction.

What I see as our strengths - an opportunistic defense that can get after the QB, and cause turnovers. Our offense appears to have much better personnel for running - 2 star RB's, compared to almost no stars in the passing game.

Now, I could see us forcing some quick 3 and outs early in games, while our defense is fresh, and maybe some interceptions. You give the ball back to our offense, and if they were to run a lot, consume time of possession, and use the pass to balance it out - play action, maybe some sprinkled no-huddle, but definitely not often, then we could put some points up, and just as importantly, keep our defense fresh.

Contrast that to giving the ball to our offense, having them run off a quick series of passes that go nowhere, give the ball right back to the opponent's offense, while our defense gets gassed, and they become sluggish and vulnerable.

I see our team potentially being vulnerable to power running teams who can wear down our defense, teams like Baltimore, the Jets, Pittsburgh of old - teams with good defenses that can shut us down a lot. We're built, defensively, more to stop New England than the Jets, I think.

My point is just this - shouldn't we look to become more like, say, the 49er's (as another poster mentioned earlier, on another thread), using our great backs, letting Fitz manage a game. This would play to the strengths of our offense AND defense!

The no-huddle looks like a way, if employed too much, to shoot ourselves in the foot!

The no-huddle offense that was supposedly attempted last night, or was hoped to (I didn't get to watch the game), is a quick scoring offense. I think it is great in its potential, and we probably have a QB who could handle it. However, when I look at this team that has been built over the last 2 years, I see a team that might profit from going in a different direction.

What I see as our strengths - an opportunistic defense that can get after the QB, and cause turnovers. Our offense appears to have much better personnel for running - 2 star RB's, compared to almost no stars in the passing game.

Now, I could see us forcing some quick 3 and outs early in games, while our defense is fresh, and maybe some interceptions. You give the ball back to our offense, and if they were to run a lot, consume time of possession, and use the pass to balance it out - play action, maybe some sprinkled no-huddle, but definitely not often, then we could put some points up, and just as importantly, keep our defense fresh.

Contrast that to giving the ball to our offense, having them run off a quick series of passes that go nowhere, give the ball right back to the opponent's offense, while our defense gets gassed, and they become sluggish and vulnerable.

I see our team potentially being vulnerable to power running teams who can wear down our defense, teams like Baltimore, the Jets, Pittsburgh of old - teams with good defenses that can shut us down a lot. We're built, defensively, more to stop New England than the Jets, I think.

My point is just this - shouldn't we look to become more like, say, the 49er's (as another poster mentioned earlier, on another thread), using our great backs, letting Fitz manage a game. This would play to the strengths of our offense AND defense!

The no-huddle looks like a way, if employed too much, to shoot ourselves in the foot!

Just because you run a no huddle doesn't mean it's a hurry up no huddle. The purpose of our no huddle was to give Fitz the most amount of time to decipher the defense and have him call the plays at the line. We gave him full control of the offense and we were just messing with it. It wasn't a K Gun no huddle

It is a horrible idea for a QB so inaccurate and who has such a weak arm, and for a team that consistently went 3 and out and put extra pressure on their defense all year long last year, even in the games they scored a lot of points it was boom or bust, they led the NFL in 3 and outs.

the redskins stayed in their base defense so yeah no huddle is a great idea there as you matchup your wideouts to linebackers. they should have been able to march down the field but terrible execution all around prevented that. thank god it was a preason game because that was embarassing

According to Chan, our "game plan" was to throw against their 3-4 and run against their nickle. When we went no huddle they didn't (couldn't?) change out of their 3-4 so we just kept throwing.

If the TD to Stevie isn't nullified we'd probably be having alot of different conversations today.

I think no huddle is fine. A better question would be: "Are 4 & 5 wideout shotgun sets a good option?" The answer is NO. That stuff didn't work last year and won't work this year. And I think Chan was on crack when he put Brad Smith out there in the spread. That page in the playbook needs to be replaced with 2-TE sets like the Pats* use.