Why does the media automatically assume the Pats will win the AFC East

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question: what record would you predict for the patriots?

9-7. Even 8-8. You can't be a great team with just 4 players on offense, even if one is Tom Brady. If he can still win with that line, he truly is the greatest QB of all time.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

9-7. Even 8-8. You can't be a great team with just 4 players on offense, even if one is Tom Brady. If he can still win with that line, he truly is the greatest QB of all time.

PTR

Have you seen their schedule? Which games do you think they are going to lose?

PTR

Fair enough. I think they end much better (obviously barring a freak occurrence). Any of it's just opinion anyway at this point. I just don't think they've fallen that far this offseason.

From the 6 minute point of the second quarter of first game in Buffalo to the end of the 1st quarter of the game in New England Buffalo outscored the Pats 55-10.

...it doesn't prove anything with respect to this thread, but still...damn.

To be fair, that final game was more of a preseason game for the Bills. During the 1st quarter, Fitzy was on fire. He put up numbers that were good enough for an entire game, but like preseason games, it's not about winning, it's about seeing what you've got, because they had nothing else to gain. After that, SJ was benched for celebrating and Chan started evaluating his WR corps. He started using 4 and 5 wideout shotgun sets with guys like Ruvell Marin and Hagan. They had a very good drive in the 2nd until the back-up Center muffed the snap and it went 10 yards behind Fitzy and they couldn't recover. I believe they set a record for biggest collapse after leading by 21.

To be fair, that final game was more of a preseason game for the Bills. During the 1st quarter, Fitzy was on fire. He put up numbers that were good enough for an entire game, but like preseason games, it's not about winning, it's about seeing what you've got, because they had nothing else to gain. After that, SJ was benched for celebrating and Chan started evaluating his WR corps. He started using 4 and 5 wideout shotgun sets with guys like Ruvell Marin and Hagan. They had a very good drive in the 2nd until the back-up Center muffed the snap and it went 10 yards behind Fitzy and they couldn't recover. I believe they set a record for biggest collapse after leading by 21.

Agreed and good points, wampus.

It is still weird just to look at that, though.

55-10...

The woman on NFL Network's NFL AM even mentioned last week that she was in attendance at that game and save for some of the obvious things that ended up happening we were giving them a fight.

Yes they blew us out, but with almost 20 guys on IR and Johnson benched in the 2nd quarter the fight in these Bills was still impressive.

I agree that the final game against the Pats was more like a preseason game, in which the coaching staff was evaluating players. If I'm not mistaken, I think Chandler either got hurt or didn't play in that game. Fitz's 5 main weapons on offense this season (and last season) are going to be (no particular order): Steve Johnson, David Nelson, Scott Chandler, Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. So with missing a lot of these guys, plus Eric Wood, it was too much for the Bills to overcome.

IMO, a healthy Bills team can compete for the AFC East division title this year, but, if the injury bug hits again, then the Pats will be the clear cut winner.

Have you seen their schedule? Which games do you think they are going to lose?

Do some NFL teams improve from year to year?

Fair enough. I think they end much better (obviously barring a freak occurrence). Any of it's just opinion anyway at this point. I just don't think they've fallen that far this offseason.

And Brady is so good he can probably carry a few wins by

himself. So who knows? All I know is our D-line is going to feast on their O-line.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

PTR

Patriots will be favored by over 10 points in 10 of their games. This is just silly, they have a legit chance to be 16-0. They are more likely to go 16-0 then to go 8-8.

Yes and that includes the Patriots, which apparently may come as a surprise to some people here. Everyone is counting on them having the #30 defense again and ignoring the fact that NE focused on their D during the offseason too.

They will win 10 with their eyes closed. The question is whether it's more like 12 or 13.

Yes.. but what games do you think they will lose next year:

@Titans

Cardinals

@Ravens

@Bills

Broncos

@Seahawks

Jets

@Rams

BYE

Bills

Colts

@Jets

@Dolphins

Texans

49ers

@Jaguars

Dolphins

Yes and that includes the Patriots, which apparently may come as a surprise to some people here. Everyone is counting on them having the #30 defense again and ignoring the fact that NE focused on their D during the offseason too.

They will win 10 with their eyes closed. The question is whether it's more like 12 or 13.

this is pretty much where i fall. short of putting 5 of us at offensive line i think they are easily good for 10. if they trot out guys that can even play average on the line (not good, just so-so) i think they are good for about 12 (say +/- 1 for lucky or unlucky bounces)

@Titans

Cardinals

@Ravens

@Bills

Broncos

@Seahawks

Jets

@Rams

BYE

Bills

Colts

@Jets

@Dolphins

Texans

49ers

@Jaguars

Dolphins

realistically, for a bar napkin type breakdown there are probably a handful of games id call a coin flip or atleast close. assuming they split those 6 games (for the sake of even numbers), and drop 1 game they shouldve been a solid favorite in - you end up at 12 wins.

So a couple of rookies are supposed to make them better? Whatever happened to "Let's see what they do in a real game?" I guess that only applies to the Bills, not the Pats*. And maybe you missed this: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/45634/patriots-nate-solder-is-soldering-on The Pats have one healthy starter returning on the O-line. Show me any team that got better with that?

PTR

@Titans

Cardinals

@Ravens

@Bills

Broncos

@Seahawks

Jets

@Rams

BYE

Bills

Colts

@Jets

@Dolphins

Texans

49ers

@Jaguars

Dolphins

By looking at their schedule, I can see 8 teams that I feel the Pats will beat: Titans, Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams, Colts, Dolphins (twice), and the Jaguars (or as Ray Bentley says: the Jagwires)

Here are other teams where I feel these games could go either way: Ravens, Broncos, Jets (twice), Bills (twice), Texans & 49ers.

For the Pats homers on here, read this: http://m.espn.go.com...st&id=45634

"FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Offensive linemen are dropping like flies around New England Patriots left tackle Nate Solder.

Veteran free agent Robert Gallery retired over the weekend. So did Matt Light. Pro Bowl guard Logan Mankins (knee) is on the physically unable to perform list, and fellow guard Brian Waters' playing status is still to be determined. Right tackle Sebastian Vollmer also is dealing with a back injury, leaving Solder as one of the few starting and healthy linemen from February's Super Bowl team."

IMO, the Ravens beat themselves in the AFC Championship game as they had 2 costly gaffes in their final drive. They still have a great defense, even though Terrell Suggs will miss some time due to his injury.

Broncos, adding Peyton Manning, plus a good defense will give the Pats a lot of trouble.

Jets, even though they are a dysfunctional mess, they still have a very good defense and always play the Pats tough.

Bills, (see all the other points on the thread about the new defense, etc...)

Texans, Wade Phillips transformed the Texans' defense into one of the league's best this past season. If key players stay healthy, they have a great shot at beating the Pats.

49ers, another team with a great defense, and good offense.

With all the holes on the O-line, these 8 teams will be able to generate a ton of pressure on Brady this year. If Brady doesn't release the ball within a matter of 2-3 seconds, he's going to take a serious pounding by these 8 teams alone (not counting the above 8).

I'll predict the Pats win at least get 8 wins. I'm not saying they will be 8-8, but they won't be 16-0 either. I still feel as long as the Bills can stay healthy, they will have a legitmate shot at winning the division title this year.

So a couple of rookies are supposed to make them better? Whatever happened to "Let's see what they do in a real game?" I guess that only applies to the Bills, not the Pats*. And maybe you missed this: http://espn.go.com/b...is-soldering-on The Pats have one healthy starter returning on the O-line. Show me any team that got better with that?

PTR

Beat me to it!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

So a couple of rookies are supposed to make them better? Whatever happened to "Let's see what they do in a real game?" I guess that only applies to the Bills, not the Pats*.

Maybe you should try reversing that. Everyone on this board thinks our first two picks can step in day 1 as starters but want to pretend no one else drafted anyone worthwhile.

The Pats got better on defense. Brady and his WRs will be fine even with a makeshift line. Keep dreaming.

I'll put it out their i'm a pats fan. Not a johnny come lately but 25 year season ticket holder. I think both teams are going to the playoffs with the schedules they've drawn. People put to much hatred into posts to look at it solidly. The Bills d-line will do damage against alot of teams especially indecisive quarterbacks because they'll get to the quarterback getting sacks or picks. The pats offense is predicated on a lot of quick passes and different schemes each week which makes them hard to prepare for each week. The key to the bills is pressure with the front 4 against Brady, flood the middle and put best cover guy on Lloyd. Another factor is how coach Dante has always been able to coach up the offensive linemen. They put a lot of guys on practice sqaud for a few years and decide if they even get a chance to be on active roster in year 3. Guys like Ashworth, Hochstein, Grey Ruegamer, Grant Williams, Stephen Neal and Joe Andruzzi built careers off this. I can't wait for Sept 30th to be in the Ralph for a great game. Hope to see you guys 3 times this season, that would be cool.

The Pats will be no where near 8-8. Brady has a very quick release so I think the O-line issues are somewhat overblown. They drafted well and we will have to wait and see if those guys make a difference just like every other team in the league. They were in the Superbowl last year and have the best TE in the league. Brady is still in his prime and QB is the most important position in the game... I don't really understand everyone expecting them to just drop off.

They have owned this division for a decade and someone is going to have a dethrone them for me to bet against them.

11-5 at worst but I'd call 12-4.