Practicing against this defense

Let me start out by saying that during the time used to bowl competitively, I was ALWAYS working on my mental game and knew it was the difference between winning and losing. My practices were a mix of: trying new things, pushing the envelope of discomfort and being pinpoint accurate. BUT a huge component was confidence. It was very beneficial in that regard to throw strike after strike on an 'easy' lane condition sometimes, just to know that you have that ability and firepower (thus adding to your confidence).

O.K., now let's apply that to Bills Camp.

Is it feasible that the Bills D is SO good that the offense won't get a chance to gain that all important confidence won through consistent success in practice, leading to more disappointments in the regular season?

OR

Are they SO good that, despite all the offenses' lack of success in camp, when the season starts all other defenses are pale in comparison, and it's like shooting fish in a barrel for our attack?

Do coaches read these dynamics and adjust off of them?

let 'er rip...

I think you got something going both ways. I'd say it's probably more important to practice against a really tough defense than against one they have regular success against. Teams and players get better by consistantly going up against better opposition. Sure it's good to sometimes just rock people, but I think well get that on Sundays and it will carry over. Competition breeds success.

Ill liken it to my college baseball experience... its better to practice and play against someone throwing 93 because when u face a guy throwing 85 it looks like a beachball. Prepare for the worst so when its not, you dominate

Once the season starts, don't they transitions so that the 1st team offense faces the 2nd team defense/scout team and vice versa? They can get better and get all the practice they can stand against one of the best defenses in the league (or at least that's what I'm hoping) all through training camp, but then they can boost their confidence against lesser competition once the season starts.

I'd rather the Bills 1st string offense play against the first string defense. Over the last few years, the Bills have struggled against the Jets defense, and have been on a losing streak against them. I think going up against the first string defense daily will get the team ready for the season opener.

Good question. I was wondering that myself. I can compare it to my high school calculus course. The teacher was a great guy, but gave us brutal exams. We went way deep into the underlying theories - really had to think creatively. It was easy not to do well, no matter how smart you thought you were.

When it came time to take the AP exam at the end of the year, though, I can't say we walked into it all that confidently, but five minutes after that test had started, we were flying. Compared to what we had been doing all year, it was a cakewalk. Pretty much everyone in the class crushed it.

So I'm optimistic.

I'd rather the Bills 1st string offense play against the first string defense. Over the last few years, the Bills have struggled against the Jets defense, and have been on a losing streak against them. I think going up against the first string defense daily will get the team ready for the season opener.

thing is, our system is different from theirs. thats why you have scout teams.

butin 1-1 or 3-3 work, sure. why not.

thing is, our system is different from theirs. thats why you have scout teams.

butin 1-1 or 3-3 work, sure. why not.

I understand they run a 3-4 & we run a 4-3, the point is the Jets have one of the better defenses in the league, so why not have our starters on offense play against our starters on defense on a regular basis in practice. I'd rather have our Tackles going our against the likes of Mario Williams, Mark Anderson & a healthy Shawne Merriman everyday.

i was the captain of my darts team.we were"a" division and we came in dead last.the rule is the top two teams move up and the bottom two teams move down.we were supposed to start the next season is "b" division..well a team dropped out and the league asked if we wanted to saty in"a" division...my uncle and most of the team were like "lets go back down to"b" division and get our confidence back.....i was like the hell with that...i'd rather lose every week and play the harder competition then go back down to "b" division.........wevoted on it and i won.......we won the "a" division championship that year!!!!!! go bills!!!

Let me start out by saying that during the time I used to bowl competitively…

I'll liken it to my college baseball experience...

I can compare it to my high school calculus course…

Just like racing. Better competition makes you better…

i was the captain of my darts team…

When I was a kid, every year our neighborhood would have a marbles tournament…

No, It would be due to YOUR lack of a solid marbles mental game.

You've obviously lost your marbles since then.

This thread is rolling downhill.

Well, if madtowntobuffalo was using a bowling ball and you used marbles, it's no wonder you got crushed. :)

That was the main reason he beat me at marbles. It's also the reason he would crush me at bowling.

I found out too late in life that marbles, no matter how large, simply don't have enough mass to knock over a bowling pin.