You want a position to worry about?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nooo...Chan's a straight shooter when it comes to answering questions. When things are going well, he'll admit it. When thigns are going bad he'll say it. He doesn't beat around the bush like most other coaches and doesn't sugar coat things. From what I've taken from his interviews is that he's not satisfied with the number 2 WR, QB and LT spots. Not good.

Undoubtedly Chan is a straight shooter, more so than just about any coach I've seen, but every single coach uses the press to send messages to players and will sometimes hold things back so as not to unduly enflame or encourage a fan base. If he was extremely confident in his backups he probably wouldn't say so because without a doubt VY and TT need to get better. Chan doesn't want to see an iota of complacency. On the other hand, hypothetically, if Fitz was stinking it up right now, Chan would probably downplay it so as not to shake his starters confidence and stoke a QB controversy.

Not a good sign, but...I think the main problem for VY so far is his lack of familiarity with the offense. I think VY will prove to be a good backup by the end of the pre-season.

I agree with you. And I think he'll be a good leader on the field if he has to relieve an injured Fitz. Most players know Vince is for real. Take Mario Williams for instance. He'll be happy that Vince is finally with him instead of against him. There probably aren't many ball players in Buffalo who can say they ever beat a team quarterbacked by Young.

But 1st VY has to beat out Thiggy. Go Bills.

While I prefer not to worry about anything, especially what is beyond my control, the two positions where injury will most greatly impact the team, in my estimation) are:

1. Pass catching tight end(chandler is looking strong on the seem route and so tall he's tough to defend.)

2. Lb. it's better here than its been in ages but I am not sure who rotates in if Barnett or shep go down. Hoping Bradham becomes the beast he looks like he could be, time will tell. Right now its a glaring weakness on the depth chart.

I agree with you. And I think he'll be a good leader on the field if he has to relieve an injured Fitz. Most players know Vince is for real. Take Mario Williams for instance. He'll be happy that Vince is finally with him instead of against him. There probably aren't many ball players in Buffalo who can say they ever beat a team quarterbacked by Young.

Unless he quits or pees on chans desk in a temper tantrum he is going to be out thigpen. And if VY turns out to be problematic, they can always go back and get thig back off of his couch to sit on the bench.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article977585.ece

So basically the two guys fighting out own can't run Chan's Megamind offence as well as Fitz. Better hope he lasts because plan B doesn't look hopeful right now.

PTR

I would not be surprised if Mega mind is waiting for a second or third year player to drop off another team. A once rookie who Nix and Chan had eyes on was picked a season or 3 ago. From what i have read with QB competition around the league: someone decent who Chix thinks has upside in the right environment will hit the wire. watch how fast we move on players this year.

The money is on Vince. They are not going to pay Thigpen any longer.

Have you seen Vince play since he left Texas? They are both 29, roughly the same games played and fitz is better in just about every qb measure td:int ratio, yds, comp %, etc. Vince has more wins from being on good teams. That's all.

Just a heads-up with all due respect.

Fisher's Tennessee team was 5-11 in 2004 and 4-12 in 2005. Then they drafted VY. and the Titans went 8-8 in 2006. Vince didn't start until Oct 1st. He was the starting QB of that team for 7 of their 8 wins in 2006.

That is why he won ROY and possibly saved Fisher's job. That "good team" was not that good until 2006, and they were trending the wrong direction before Vince became a starter.

I think the Bills end up with the best backup QB in the league if VY can win the job this summer. That's all.

Just when I really start to warm to you, you gotta post up something that just sounds pointlessly braggy or surreally exculpatory about Young.

You're probably right about few Buffalo Bills players who can say they beat a team quarterbacked by Young. The Bills are a young team and have only played the Titans 3x since 2006 when VY was drafted with Hasselbeck the QB for the most recent meeting. For many current players who faced the Titans on other teams, Kerry Collins was at the helm for the Titans meetings. So it seems like a pretty safe bet.

And your point?

Mario Williams seems like a nice guy when it's not Sunday, so I'm sure he's all happy that Vince Young is with him on the Bills esp. if Vince is the likeable guy you claim.

Football-wise, I'm betting he doesn't really give a sh** His job on Sunday is to make the guy he's facing eat d**k. Being a baller, he's prolly all "bring it on!".

I think the Bills end up with the best backup QB in the league if VY can win the job this summer. That's all.

I hope you're right.

Not a good sign, but...I think the main problem for VY so far is his lack of familiarity with the offense. I think VY will prove to be a good backup by the end of the pre-season.

I hope you're right, too.

I would not be surprised if Mega mind is waiting for a second or third year player to drop off another team. A once rookie who Nix and Chan had eyes on was picked a season or 3 ago. From what i have read with QB competition around the league: someone decent who Chix thinks has upside in the right environment will hit the wire. watch how fast we move on players this year.

It's a thought, esp. if it's someone Chan coveted as a developmental prospect. I rather think Chan values time to learn the system, in a backup. So it would surprise me, but then, lots of things do

Edited by Hopeful

Just when I really start to warm to you, you gotta post up something that just sounds pointlessly braggy or surreally exculpatory about Young.

Dang. you were one of the folks I was trying to win over.;) It's a message board. I have my mod-given rights. Don't I get points for not responding to all of the exceptionally mean things said about Young? "Peeing on Chan's desk," and that stuff? In my own way I'll respond to those who insist that Vince isn't worthy. peace, and Go Bills.

Edited by caracara

Get a grip willya...

No thank you. You're not my type. No offense I hope.

The preseason is where you watch the players and determine if they are capable of doing the required job at their respective position. Chan Gailey had 4 preseason games to watch Edwards, Fitz, Brohm and he started Edwards. He chose Edwards because he obviously thought Edwards was the better QB.

Er, yes, that was kind of my point - that it may be hard to judge the true level a player can achieve on gameday from training camp and preseason.

The fact does remain that if Chan had chosen to start the season with a lesser-pedigreed player (Fitz), there would have been controversy.

By the time he pulled Edwards and started Fitz, there was none.

Dang. you were one of the folks I was trying to win over.;) It's a message board. I have my mod-given rights. Don't I get points for not responding to all of the exceptionally mean things said about Young? "Peeing on Chan's desk," and that stuff? In my own way I'll respond to those who insist that Vince isn't worthy. peace, and Go Bills.

Not disputing your mod-given rights, just pointing out that you do say stuff that's a little surreal or seems pointless sometimes in your quest to defend Young.

Your choice, your choice of course - don't let me rain on your parade, proceed at will!

I thought the "peeing on Chan's desk" thing was actually a compliment to VY - the intent seemed to be expressing the opinion that unless Vince does something over-the-top-outrageous, he's a shoo-in over Thiggy? I heard a similar sentiment expressed about a job candidate at work the other day, that she was so far ahead of everyone else that the job was hers unless she p*ssed in the hiring manager's wheaties. I think it's just kind of a figure of speech in some places.

I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment, but I know what I want to have happen. Hit the book, Vince. Put the tape on your big screen. Get 'er done man.

The thing is, NFL offenses are very complex so even for a veteran QB, if you join a team AFTER minicamp, OTA, and training camp, it's nearly impossible to play well that same season.

Like you suggest, if the Bills pick up a young QB who is cut, he will be a practice squad guy or developmental roster spot guy at best. He won't be the primary backup.

For the record, I'm perfectly fine with VY as our backup. Surround him with a good team (which I think we have) and he can win games. He's resourceful and athletic and he can beat you.

Naturally there's a drop-off from Fitz to VY but there's a drop-off from starter to backup in virtually every NFL city… except on teams where both QBs are mediocre.

Your reading comprehension misfired on my "peeing on chans desk." The intent was that he is a more worthy option to back up fitz than Thigpen. Youngs career is very closely mirroring Kordelll Stewart's. Which is ironic given that Chan and kore ell intersected back then... And Kordell made for a much better back up than starter, like seneca Wallace, like vince young.

I was overly defensive. the peeing remark was sandwiched between "quitting" and "temper tantrum," so I took it the wrong the way. No harm done. Personally I think Young could still be a starter somewhere in the NFL. Probably not in Buffalo barring a disaster. But folks can improve themselves. VY might get another chance to be a starter. someday

Er, yes, that was kind of my point - that it may be hard to judge the true level a player can achieve on gameday from training camp and preseason.

The fact does remain that if Chan had chosen to start the season with a lesser-pedigreed player (Fitz), there would have been controversy.

There was nothing hard about Chan's decision in 2010. Fitz was BY FAR the worst QB all summer long. He was the worst in OTAa, mini-camp, and regular training camp and he did little to distinguish himself in the pre-season games. Levi Brown was better. 'Nuff said.

But while Fitz was finding his game he was doing all those little things that a good team leader does around the locker room. It's nice that his game is catching up to his intangibles.

GO BILLS!!!

No thank you. You're not my type. No offense I hope.

When somebody tells you to "get a grip" it literally refers to get a grip on reality, just FYI

This entire theory of Gailey starting Edwards over Fitz because of Fitz being a "a lesser-pedigreed player" is complete hogwash and just another attempt at making up an excuse at a huge blunder by megamoron.

There was nothing hard about Chan's decision in 2010. Fitz was BY FAR the worst QB all summer long. He was the worst in OTAa, mini-camp, and regular training camp and he did little to distinguish himself in the pre-season games. Levi Brown was better. 'Nuff said.

But while Fitz was finding his game he was doing all those little things that a good team leader does around the locker room. It's nice that his game is catching up to his intangibles.

GO BILLS!!!

Baloney, Chan Gailey reported to the media that it was a very close race between Fitz, Brohm and Edwards.

""Gailey says he has never seen a big difference between Edwards and Fitzpatrick (and for that matter Brian Brohm) and therefore doesn't see it as a big deal to make a switch.""

“Back when we started this whole quarterback thing, we had to have a pecking order going in to training camp,” Gailey said. “But the margin of difference between all of them was not that big and nobody did anything to change that margin in training camp. All of them did a pretty good job when they played. If it would have been a huge difference in the two, it might have made a difference, but in my mind and in our mind there wasn’t.”

http://profootballta...much-different/

"Levi Brown was better" Where do you guys get this stuff, make it up as you go? Brown was never even in the starting QB equation, and was cut before the season even started.

(edit) a fans response to that post by profootballtalk,

Don’t see a big difference? I’m a FAN and I can see a BIG difference. That comment alone makes me wonder WTF is going on at 1 Bills Drive. Trentative Checkwards is too scared to throw anything over 15 yards. Fitzy will throw bombs all day long, though his knock is he’s not too accurate. Though I do agree with the change they made. Fitzy gives us a better chance to at least compete in games. Edwards under center just means a blow out. Brohm is the enigma, wrapped in a mystery. I wouldn’t be suprised if we see him by the end of the season though.

Edited by Fear the Beard