I firmly believe this must be it for Fitz

I am interpreting the NFL is 16 games for a season? I am not twiting anything. You are twisting it by not taking a look at the season as a whole. Maybe Shaun Hill should be a starter?

I am not twisting anything.....I have stated that Fitz has been inconsistant.....you on the other hand are reaching for every stat you can to try to prove your point.

Fitz has this year to prove it to me...then I am ready to look for another QB (I am actually ready anyway....since we seem to have a hard time finding someone to back him up for the 2nd year straight)

Last year when Fitz was healthy the team was winning....and he was putting up decent numbers (his QB rating was extremely high at one point) this was despite a horrible defense....then injuries took their toll....and he ended badly.....that is not disputable

It is also not disputable that when the team had all its pieces last year he WAS playing well......

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billrody......I do not believe that you fall under the same catagory as paint and yes you have the right to see it before you believe it....

but that is NOT what he is doing here.....re read his posts and you will see

All I'm saying is that if the Bills start off 5-2 this year, I'm not going to jump with joy. I'm going to proceed with caution.. and I hope the team does too.

Sticking with Fitzpatrick is like going out with an average to below average looking girl who could look better with a nicer haircut and better make up. You take her out, spend lots of money, she is not very good at conversation, but she tries. Thing is, you think you can get into her pants? Nope, she doesn't even put out, but for some strange reason you continue to want to date her instead of just going out with some other chick. Heck, just to get laid, try some other chick. She might be sloppy, but you might get some. That is Vince Young. He is sloppy but he has proven to win some games and has many more 4th quarter comebacks.

What...what...what?

Now I'm completely confuzzled.

Your saying the answer is a sloppy 'ho?

And if VY doesn't work then what, sign one of the Kardashian sisters?

I am interpreting the NFL is 16 games for a season? I am not twiting anything. You are twisting it by not taking a look at the season as a whole. Maybe Shaun Hill should be a starter?

ok, then. let's judge Fitzpatrick on each of his past two seasons. in 2010, he was the first Bills quarterback since Bledsoe in 2002 to throw for 23 touchdowns. And Fitzpatrick did it in three fewer games.

last year, Fitzpatrick matched Bledsoe's production in 2002 with 24 touchdowns.

yes, i'm aware that he also threw 23 interceptions last year, and i agree that's a concern. but since you've been so good in judging him on his flaws, let's put that aside.

so, Fitzpatrick is the first Bills quarterback since Jim Kelly in 1994 and 95 to throw for more than 20 touchdowns in back to back seasons. Kelly threw 44 combined in those two years, and Fitzpatrick 47. also, in those two seasons, Kelly threw 30 interceptions, while Fitzpatrick combined for 38.

also, let's look at a few other numbers, if Fitzpatrick deserves criticism for being inconsistent, then perhaps he deserves a little kudos for running an offense that produced 5,624 yards -- the most by a Bills team since 1992. and it's an offense that scored 372 points and finished 14th in the league, the most points and its best ranking since 2002.

that's not bad, and at the very least it's not as dreadful as you are attempting to twist it to be.

i call bull-oney on you.

jw

ok, then. let's judge Fitzpatrick on each of his past two seasons. in 2010, he was the first Bills quarterback since Bledsoe in 2002 to throw for 23 touchdowns. And Fitzpatrick did it in three fewer games.

last year, Fitzpatrick matched Bledsoe's production in 2002 with 24 touchdowns.

yes, i'm aware that he also threw 23 interceptions last year, and i agree that's a concern. but since you've been so good in judging him on his flaws, let's put that aside.

so, Fitzpatrick is the first Bills quarterback since Jim Kelly in 1994 and 95 to throw for more than 20 touchdowns in back to back seasons. Kelly threw 44 combined in those two years, and Fitzpatrick 47. also, in those two seasons, Kelly threw 30 interceptions, while Fitzpatrick combined for 38.

also, let's look at a few other numbers, if Fitzpatrick deserves criticism for being inconsistent, then perhaps he deserves a little kudos for running an offense that produced 5,624 yards -- the most by a Bills team since 1992. and it's an offense that scored 372 points and finished 14th in the league, the most points and its best ranking since 2002.

that's not bad, and at the very least it's not as dreadful as you are attempting to twist it to be.

i call bull-oney on you.

jw

Bledsoe was 8th best in QB rating in 2002. Jim Kelly was regularly in the top 13 and top 10 in QB rating.

You cannot really compare players stats though, stat for stat. You can compare QB ratings. Pure numbers on offense today are way up over the last 10-15 years, they do not even compare. Fitz has had enough stats to actually qualify for QB rating for 4 years in a row, and he is dreadful when compared to players OF TODAY!! He should be compared to his current QB competition.

2011 22nd

2010 22nd

2009 26th

2008 31st

He has had 4 really bad years of playing quarterback. Not only bad stats, but no team success either. You can live with mediocre stats if you are winning.

What...what...what?

Now I'm completely confuzzled.

Your saying the answer is a sloppy 'ho?

And if VY doesn't work then what, sign one of the Kardashian sisters?

You could go try and spend more and go out with the hot chick and hope she puts out. That is RG3. You could just go out with a similar type of chick and hope she puts out, like Brandon Weeden, and hope they do put out, because you already know Fitz is ugly and does not put out.

Bledsoe was 8th best in QB rating in 2002. Jim Kelly was regularly in the top 13 and top 10 in QB rating.

You cannot really compare players stats though, stat for stat. You can compare QB ratings. Pure numbers on offense today are way up over the last 10-15 years, they do not even compare. Fitz has had enough stats to actually qualify for QB rating for 4 years in a row, and he is dreadful when compared to players OF TODAY!! He should be compared to his current QB competition.

2011 22nd

2010 22nd

2009 26th

2008 31st

He has had 4 really bad years of playing quarterback. Not only bad stats, but no team success either. You can live with mediocre stats if you are winning.

You could go try and spend more and go out with the hot chick and hope she puts out. That is RG3. You could just go out with a similar type of chick and hope she puts out, like Brandon Weeden, and hope they do put out, because you already know Fitz is ugly and does not put out.

quit changing the topic. first you suggest we look at an entire 16 game season. well, i did. two of them. now you say it's something else.

and yet Bledsoe, in 2002, finished 8-8 despite having a top-10 qb rating. what does that prove?

and you keep going on and on about how he's had no team success. did you happen to look at the four teams he's been on over those four years?

Fitzpatrick actually went 5-5 with the 2009 Bills in that dreadful year in which Jauron was fired, meaning he was the quarterback for all but one win that year. given what a trainwreck that team was, especially on offense after Langston Walker was cut and the OC fired, and Jauron still sticking to his desire to go with a no-huddle attack -- going 5-5 looks pretty good.

of course, you won't think so. Fitzpatrick should've won 12, right?

bull-oney.

jw

quit changing the topic. first you suggest we look at an entire 16 game season. well, i did. two of them. now you say it's something else.

and yet Bledsoe, in 2002, finished 8-8 despite having a top-10 qb rating. what does that prove?

and you keep going on and on about how he's had no team success. did you happen to look at the four teams he's been on over those four years?

Fitzpatrick actually went 5-5 with the 2009 Bills in that dreadful year in which Jauron was fired, meaning he was the quarterback for all but one win that year. given what a trainwreck that team was, especially on offense after Langston Walker was cut and the OC fired, and Jauron still sticking to his desire to go with a no-huddle attack -- going 5-5 looks pretty good.

of course, you won't think so. Fitzpatrick should've won 12, right?

bull-oney.

jw

I AM LOOKING AT A 16 GAME SEASON!!!! I never said anything else. You hand picked a few stats, and then compared them with players from 10-20 years ago, that is not smart. You need to compare Fitz's numbers to his QB counterparts of today, and he does not fare well at all..........OVER A 16 GAME SCHEDULE!!!!

Defense was pretty good in 2009, Fitz's numbers were awful, under 70 QB rating, imagine if they actually had a decent QB. His numbers could have been even worse if not for bonus game against the Colts 2nd stringers in week 16. He could have been cut if not for that game. He was 4-4 that year as a starter. I was at that game in Carolina, only reas the Bills won is because Delhomme kept giving the Bills the ball. Fitz had 123 yards passing and had 86 yards passing against the Chiefs and won. He sucked. If that team had a better QB they could have easily won 10 games that year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00/gamelog/2009/

Edited by paintmyhouse

I AM LOOKING AT A 16 GAME SEASON!!!! I never said anything else. You hand picked a few stats, and then compared them with players from 10-20 years ago, that is not smart. You need to compare Fitz's numbers to his QB counterparts of today, and he does not fare well at all..........OVER A 16 GAME SCHEDULE!!!!

Defense was pretty good in 2009, Fitz's numbers were awful, under 70 QB rating, imagine if they actually had a decent QB. His numbers could have been even worse if not for bonus game against the Colts 2nd stringers in week 16. He could have been cut if not for that game. He was 4-4 that year as a starter. I was at that game in Carolina, only reas the Bills won is because Delhomme kept giving the Bills the ball. Fitz had 123 yards passing and had 86 yards passing against the Chiefs and won. He sucked.

You need to focus your argument. Your most recent claim regards QB Rating. Ok, let's go with that. Fitz' career rating is 75. Last year, 79.1. Unspectacular, but improving.

Vince Young? 74.4 career rating. Pitiful 60.8 last year.

But we should go with Young, right? Because he's a sloppy ho instead of a mediocre looking prude...or something?

Everyone knows this must be it for Fitz.

Even Fitz's strongest supporters know he has much to prove.

Its all about the defense....Think Ravens or Niners type football.

Fitz should have an easier go of it with the Bills 2 headed RB attack and improved OL play.

He could get lucky and shine....Just need him to not stink up the place again.

You need to focus your argument. Your most recent claim regards QB Rating. Ok, let's go with that. Fitz' career rating is 75. Last year, 79.1. Unspectacular, but improving.

Vince Young? 74.4 career rating. Pitiful 60.8 last year.

But we should go with Young, right? Because he's a sloppy ho instead of a mediocre looking prude...or something?

Arguement is the same the whole time. Fitzpatrick has bad stats (QB rating is more important TD passes, it takes into consideration all those INTs and crappy YPA he has), on a team that has no success, and when compared to his counterparts, he is clearly lower tier, and he has proven to not be a clutch late game player overall. How am I changing an argument, is is the whole things, there is nothing I have changed, people have tried to pick small pieces, and this is the whole thing when you look at him over a 16 game season. He is bad, barely an average backup in the NFL. Shaun Hill is better than him. Jason Campbell is better than him. THere are many backups in the NFL better than him who have better stats and have actually had team success too when they play at a much higher rate then Fitzpatrick.

Guess I will settle down, he will be on the bench by week 10 anyway (game 9). After Bills lose to New England, then at San Fran, then at Arizona, there will be a bye, and it will start the Young talk, especially ater they lose again to the Titans at home just like last year when Fitz did nothing and had the key fumble in that game. Then they lose at Houston and at New England, and Vince Young plays the Thursday night game at home against Miami.

Edited by paintmyhouse

Arguement is the same the whole time. Fitzpatrick has bad stats (QB rating is more important TD passes, it takes into consideration all those INTs and crappy YPA he has), on a team that has no success, and when compared to his counterparts, he is clearly lower tier, and he has proven to not be a clutch late game player overall. How am I changing an argument, is is the whole things, there is nothing I have changed, people have tried to pick small pieces, and this is the whole thing when you look at him over a 16 game season. He is bad, barely an average backup in the NFL. Shaun Hill is better than him. Jason Campbell is better than him. THere are many backups in the NFL better than him who have better stats and have actually had team success too when they play at a much higher rate then Fitzpatrick.

Guess I will settle down, he will be on the bench by week 10 anyway (game 9). After Bills lose to New England, then at San Fran, then at Arizona, there will be a bye, and it will start the Young talk, especially ater they lose again to the Titans at home just like last year when Fitz did nothing. Then they lose at Houston and at New England, and Vince Young plays the Thursday night game at home against Miami.

Yeah, we better start Young right off the bat. No way he'll lose to NE twice, at San Fran, at Arizona and at Houston. He gives us such a better chance. Can't read a safety to save his life, but he gives us a far better chance.

Right.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, we better start Young right off the bat. No way he'll lose to NE twice, at San Fran, at Arizona and at Houston. He gives us such a better chance. Can't read a safety to save his life, but he gives us a far better chance.

Right.

GO BILLS!!!

Bills only beat NE because Brady threw 4 INTs. Know the last time we beat Brady? He threw 4 INTs. Pretty safe to say as long as Brady does not throw 4 INTs the Bills will not be beating the Patriots. Last year's win was fun, I was at the game, but it was a complete fluke and it is crazy to call it otherwise.

Fitz has given the Bills no chance from day 1. It has shown in the number of wins they have too.

I can do that too.

GO BILLS@!!! I still want them to win, they just won't with him at QB, it has been proven.

Edited by paintmyhouse

Defense was pretty good in 2009, Fitz's numbers were awful, under 70 QB rating, imagine if they actually had a decent QB. His numbers could have been even worse if not for bonus game against the Colts 2nd stringers in week 16. He could have been cut if not for that game. He was 4-4 that year as a starter. I was at that game in Carolina, only reas the Bills won is because Delhomme kept giving the Bills the ball. Fitz had 123 yards passing and had 86 yards passing against the Chiefs and won. He sucked. If that team had a better QB they could have easily won 10 games that year.

This thread is actually making me feel better about our guy.

#1 I keep reading the appraisal of his short comings must be based on a sixteen game season but then cited are examples from 2009, 2008, 2010, etc. of these material failures. As last year was the one and only 16 game season none of the other seasons count.

#2 Gannon rule :struggles when not a clear starter or behind a good starter doesn't count. Bugler and Palmer were the starters fitz backed up previously, both are former probowlers. So that plus the first three bills seasons with qb by commitee also don't count by this exclusion.

#3 the appraisal that VY is good with the same 16 game criteria; VY never played a 16 game regular season, but in his two closest 15 game seasons his rating was below 70 and still won. This means with a comparable running game and defense to those Titan teams our guy with his 80 will get us even further into the playoffs.

#4 incoherent and inconsistant reasoning to support a negative opinion of an invidual only points to bias or motive not objective analysis.

Conclusion- it going to hurt one or two folks watching #14 take the bills to the playoffs this year. But most here are going to be more than fine with it....

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Bills only beat NE because Brady threw 4 INTs. Know the last time we beat Brady? He threw 4 INTs. Pretty safe to say as long as Brady does not throw 4 INTs the Bills will not be beating the Patriots. Last year's win was fun, I was at the game, but it was a complete fluke and it is crazy to call it otherwise.

Fitz has given the Bills no chance from day 1. It has shown in the number of wins they have too.

I can do that too.

GO BILLS@!!! I still want them to win, they just won't with him at QB, it has been proven.

I didn't see Fitz intercept Brady once that whole game. Just because Brady sucked that day doesn't detract from Fitz's stellar performance. He was 27/40 for 369 yards and a fat 9.2 YPA with a 92.6 rating. Fitz took advantage like a good QB does.

But that's beside my point. Which was your idea that VY would give us a better chance to win against NE (twice), San Fran, Arizona, and Houston on the road is absurd. When VY can show me he has the slightest inkling on how to read a safety, let alone anything else, in an offense that absolutely demands proper pre/post snap reads, then maybe you'll have a more solid footing on which to base your assumption.

GO BILLS!!!

I personally pray this guy does it, I am ready for this position to finally be settled.

so you post your personal prayers on here? and what if he doesnt play good? whos better? "I want this, I want that" why cant you be happy we had a great off season and a QB whos had some great games? This teams about to put it together and btw, there are 31 other teams wanting the same thing you do. Go be a fan of theres if you hate fitz so much....also dont repost the same crap thats been posted about 20 times already.

now who's cherry-picking. defense was below average. it was second against the pass, but that was only because no one had to pass against them, because they were 30th against the run. i might have had a chance to run 100 yards on them.

he could've have been cut. :blink: they could've won 10 games that year? that team was an utter disaster from start to finish. it had no direction, no cohesion, no coaching. the best thing that happened is when Perry Fewell took over and finally provided some vision. geez.

look, you don't like the guy. and i'm not here to convince you not to. type in all-caps all you want, but don't pretend you're providing anything objective in the form of making a case here.

when the team wins, it's everything but Fitzpatrick, and when the team loses it's on Fitzpatrick. man, get a grip. like it was Fitzpatrick's fault Stevie Johnson dropped the ball in the end zone against the Steelers. it was his fault Stevie Johnson missed that catch over the middle against the Jets. it was anybody but Fitzpatrick who deserves credit for the two comeback wins.

bull-oney.

jw

oh, and thanks for linking the game-logs. somehow, i had nothing here to refer to, i was purely picking these things out of the air. :blink:

Edited by john wawrow