Political Correctness has jumped the shark (again)

So wait, is "Monday" a racial epithet only for blacks, or is it for anyone? And if so, do blacks love Mondays, or at least not hate them? If the answer is "no," HTF is this a racial epithet?

That's such a "Tuesday" question. :rolleyes:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So wait, is "Monday" a racial epithet only for blacks, or is it for anyone? And if so, do blacks love Mondays, or at least not hate them? If the answer is "no," HTF is this a racial epithet?

Its an epithet because of the intent and the obvious context. What else could it mean and what else could the idiot have been trying to communicate?

Edited by Jauronimo

Because he is saying it as a derogatory term to convey his hatred for a race of people.

Or else why would you ever call someone a "Monday."

Let's look at the case for and against:

Against:

1. He could have called him a "Monday" because that was just the first thing that came to his head.

2. " " because it was an honest mis-pronunciation of the players name.

3. " " because that is what he calls everyone who he has any issue with or dislike for.

For:

1. It is a known racial epithet.

2. There have been reports of him making racist comments in other instances.

3. He was fired for cause and a public statement from the mayor was issued citing him as a "racist."

4. NOT one of his colleagues have come to his defense to say that he has a history of saying "Monday" as a casual way to express any generalized dislike.

Seriously, [MOST] of y'all are smarter than that, right?

But I forgot, if any one is a racist, they're only a racist because some one played the race card. It's a co-dependent attribute.

Edited by Juror#8

Because he is saying it as a derogatory term to convey his hatred for a race of people.

I thought he was expressing his disdain for one person? That's a long way from "hatred for a race of people".

To me this is the biggest problem with all this over-sensitivity on race, sexual orientation, etc.. Everybody wants to take every little comment as though it was some universal proclamation.

There's a big difference between calling my wife a c#nt and calling her a pain in the ass, even if I'm conveying the same sentiment. Just sayin

Now add in that you're a misogynist and in a position of power and you call her a "pain in the ass."

Doesn't that complicate things?

I thought he was expressing his disdain for one person? That's a long way from "hatred for a race of people".

To me this is the biggest problem with all this over-sensitivity on race, sexual orientation, etc.. Everybody wants to take every little comment as though it was some universal proclamation.

The term "Monday" in the racial context (that I've heard and always understood) suggests that no one like Mondays just like no one likes blacks.

Blacks are a "race of people."

Now add in that you're a misogynist and in a position of power and you call her a "pain in the ass."

Poor comparison, in my opinion.

Assume that "pain in the ass" is by no means a common expression and that millions of men refer to women as a "pain in the ass" which is intended to subtly communicate c^nt without getting you slapped, and we're getting closer.

Edited by Jauronimo

I'm not defending the guy who got fired. I'm just trying to understand how "Monday" became a racial epithet, since black people fall under the "everyone" in "everyone hates Mondays." Everyone hates cancer as well. So if you call someone a "cancer," is that racist?

Nevermind. I'll just have to accept that this apparently is a known racial epithet.

You have to consider syntax.

If I yell "Crawford you suck", clearly I'm directing anger at Crawford.

If I yell, "Crawford you suck you f#$%ing Monday" then clearly I don't like Crawford and obviously it has something to do with Crawford being a Monday. Using the old "I was only trying to insult that particular ni##er" defense, usually doesn't hold up very well.

I can't tell if you're joking.

Edit: Nevermind, I get it. You're saying, but what if the person is already estabished as a misogynist and then calls her a "pain in the ass". But what if the only evidence of me being a misogynist is that I called her a pain in the ass?

Regardless, the main point I'm making, not that I necessarily disagree with yours, is that right or wrong word choice matters even if they're grounded in the same general sentiment. I think it CAN be an indicator of the extent of harm you want to do (level of malice/hate). If you call a woman a c#nt you're clearly trying to inflict as much harm as possible; it's hateful and malicious. If you call her a pain in the ass you took a little something off that fastball; you're still conveying a negative outlook toward her and are aware that it will negatively impact her, but without the same level of malice or intent to harm.

Edited by Rob's House

The term "Monday" in the racial context (that I've heard and always understood) suggests that no one like Mondays just like no one likes blacks.

How do you know he was using it in a racial context? Maybe he was using it in a frequently injured outfielder who hasn't lived up to his contract context?

I can't tell if you're joking.

Edit: Nevermind, I get it. You're saying, but what if the person is already estabished as a misogynist and then calls her a "pain in the ass". But what if the only evidence of me being a misogynist is that I called her a pain in the ass?

Regardless, the main point I'm making, not that I necessarily disagree with yours, is that right or wrong word choice matters even if they're grounded in the same general sentiment. I think it CAN be an indicator of the extent of harm you want to do (level of malice/hate). If you call a woman a c#nt you're clearly trying to inflict as much harm as possible; it's hateful and malicious. If you call her a pain in the ass you took a little something off that fastball; you're still conveying a negative outlook toward her and are aware that it will negatively impact her, but without the same level of malice or intent to harm.

Ok, I see what you're saying. You're not necessarily characterizing him one way or the other - just discussing the degree of the comment.

I agree with you on that.

And I wasn't calling you a misogynist - just trying to add depth to your hypothetical to make my point. So your clarification in your "edit" was correct.

Poor comparison, in my opinion.

Assume that "pain in the ass" is by no means a common expression and that millions of men refer to women as a "pain in the ass" which is intended to subtly communicate c^nt without getting you slapped, and we're getting closer.

I guess I'm putting more emphasis on *his* state of mind than everyone else (who seem to be more focused on how esoteric the term is).

How do you know he was using it in a racial context? Maybe he was using it in a frequently injured outfielder who hasn't lived up to his contract context?

Very much basing it on circumstantial considerations as articulated in my post above.

That would certainly be the first documented instance of that "context". Sort of like calling our current president a coon in the frequently incompetent and failing to live up to promises context.

As I recall, you are black, aren't you?