Buffalo News rant (again)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Training camp opens up, and the Bills actually have expectations this year, so naturally the News sends their senior sports columnist (Jerry Sullivan) to the Olympics, and don't send any sports columnists to training camp.

Jerry Sullivan, haven't read anything by him lately (thought he had some sort of medical issue) and I don't miss him. The news is going to be pay to play sometime and I am not going to pay so I won't really be reading it anyway. I have to say though, TG is doing a great job and I like that the Bills have a lot of other internet coverage.

I haven't been watching the Olympics since 72 when "the games must go on" happened (way to alienate a 12 year old Olympics). I just see it as a country in the world has a big party to celebrate gaining access to the 1st world economicly or one like the US or England does it just to remind the world that they are the first world. I like to see athletic competition but coverage is so biased and more about money these days plus all the nationalism and spectacle just bores the crap out of me.

JMOs

I would not miss Sully if he never wrote for the News again.

By the Buffalo News hiring Tim Graham, it really showed commitment to top-notch coverage of the Bills and sports in general. Tim really is one of the best in the country.

So the News sent Tim, Mark Gaughan and Jay Skurski to camp this season, and they have put together the best blog on the Bills around: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/

By the way, I do not work for the News, but I am a former journalist and know great reporting.

And yet the front page of Two Bills Drive is filled with more stories than I can remember for the first day of TC.

Go figure...

The News is doing everyone a favor sending Jerry Sunshine to England.

Too bad he couldn't have brought the Buckster with him...

And yet the front page of Two Bills Drive is filled with more stories than I can remember for the first day of TC.

Go figure...

Too bad he couldn't have brought the Buckster with him...

Having Sully and Bucky permanently out of the country would be a dream come true. Sullivan is an overly negative big mouth and Bucky is just a kissass to those he likes and an out and out liar about those he doesn't. Can't wait for his next column on confirmed minor leaguer Tim Kennedy and how he deserves to be in the NHL and the Sabres screwed him.

Edited by biglukes

You know it. But you have to admit we are giving props to Gaughan, Graham and Skursky.

PTR

fair enough, but in the big picture i'd be careful what you wish for because with the changing media landscape in Buffalo and the recent deals struck, i wonder if there's at least one fewer objective voice capable of viewing the Bills with a truly critical eye.

jw

Training camp opens up, and the Bills actually have expectations this year, so naturally the News sends their senior sports columnist (Jerry Sullivan) to the Olympics, and don't send any sports columnists to training camp.

There has been a ton of coverage from camp in the News, and luckily none of it has come from Sullivan. Graham has done a great job, imo. As have the rest of the staff covering camp.

How dare they cover an event so insignificant as the Olympics with one of the least liked columnists in the city and leave a bunch of practice sessions to be reported on by columnists that are actually more objective and readable. THOSE BASTARDS!!

fair enough, but in the big picture i'd be careful what you wish for because with the changing media landscape in Buffalo and the recent deals struck, i wonder if there's at least one fewer objective voice capable of viewing the Bills with a truly critical eye.

jw

Are you suggesting Jerry posseses a critical eye?

Not sure what your are referring to (ch 4?) But I think there will always be plenty of critical eyes. Maybe less major media. And while the quality varies I think the good ones {Sal Cappacio) rise and the bad ones (Pat Moran) fade away eventually.

PTR

How dare they cover an event so insignificant as the Olympics with one of the least liked columnists in the city and leave a bunch of practice sessions to be reported on by columnists that are actually more objective and readable. THOSE BASTARDS!!

Yep........this sums it up. :flirt:

Are you suggesting Jerry posseses a critical eye?

Not sure what your are referring to (ch 4?) But I think there will always be plenty of critical eyes. Maybe less major media. And while the quality varies I think the good ones {Sal Cappacio) rise and the bad ones (Pat Moran) fade away eventually.

PTR

The most interesting work in sports coverage is being done by 'amateurs' with blogs. Sal's program is fantastic and wouldn't exist if he hadn't started doing his web show as an 'amateur'.

Let's make this a Coach Sal thread so we can be positive.

Edited by jeremy2020

Nice article by Donn Esmonde today. He does lay out the realities of the lease situation.

Ehh, He's been beating that drum about us not keeping the Bills for a while now. He doesn't like the idea of tax dollars going to anything other than preserving 100 year old eyesores. Esmonde sucks up to Buffalo's chief obstructionist Tim Tielman. Most of the time his civic opinions aren't worth a whole lot. Every few months it seems he has some woe is is article about how we're doomed to lose the Bills and we should give it up and go to preservation conferences and art shows instead. Esmonde's take on the matter, and the opinion of quote "the guy the county should haves hired to negotiate the lease" don't carry a lot of weight to me.

Edited by biglukes