Aurora Shooting: Does Tighter Gun Control Change the Outcome?

Does tighter control on weapons in the US change the outcome of that situation? Could it have changed the scale in which this young man was able to shoot almost 70 people?

I am not an advocate of gun control, but I think when these things happen, it is a time to revisit the types of weaponry we (as a scoiety) want accessible for people who might very well consider this kind of action.

He walks in the back door with dynamite strapped to him perhaps he kills a hundred and nobody has a chance..... I in no way intend this thread to suggest that laws regarding guns eliminates crazy people.....

Thoughts?

Probably not- this kind of nutjob will always manage to find something. I do applaude that you are willing to look at all things though, to prevent a catastrophe, such as this. It would be nice if a day came when we don't need guns. I don't see that being during my lifetime.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not- this kind of nutjob will always manage to find something. I do applaude that you are willing to look at all things though, to prevent a catastrophe, such as this. It would be nice if a day came when we don't need guns. I don't see that being during my lifetime.

I wish we didn't need guns, too...

40178.strip.gif

It's a terrible thing that has happened but I hope I don't have to be padded down or walk through a metal detector to watch a movie and while I'm a progressive and not a huge gun advocate I realize more and more that our government is corrupt from the top all the way down and that maybe an armed population is the only thing that keeps them in check even a little bit so I can't get behind this terrible tragedy as a cause for gun control- Our absolute safety is something that has never existed and never will exist, at least not in a society that has a modicum of freedom- what we have to do in my opinion is stop looking for quick solutions and start doing the hard slow work of changing our culture of violence - first we have to realize what is violence - war yes, terrorist acts yes, torture yes, but also fraud, exploitation, verbal abuse, deprivation, sanctions, spanking- in fact any time we violate the most basic rule of civilized behavior "do on to others as you'd have others do on to you" the golden rule, which almost all civilizations have a version of- we are doing violence and in that violation we are inviting violence back to us.

Look, it ain't cool to log in to ...lybob's account, Mr. ...lybob. You may be his father, but that's no excuse.

...lybob has a specific brand of ludicrous that we have come to enjoy.

Posts like this ruin that. So cut it out.

My friend's coworkers were in a motel when 3 guys kicked down their door & started shooting. One of his coworkers was locked and loaded and helped two of them fill their reservations in hell before the third ran away. Those guys had been going up & down the east coast killing people before running into someone who was ready for them. Somehow I think the perps could still get guns or strong-arm the weak regardless of gun laws. My friend's coworkers? Probably not.

Edited by Rob's House

My friend's coworkers were in a motel when 3 guys kicked down their door & started shooting. One of his coworkers was locked and loaded and helped two of them fill their reservations in hell before the third ran away. Those guys had been going up & down the east coast killing people before running into someone who was ready for them. Somehow I think the peeps could still get guns or strong-arm the weak regardless of gun laws. My friend's coworkers? Probably not.

Agreed. Glad they could protect themselves. Crazy people out there......

I wish we didn't need guns, too...

40178.strip.gif

Now that's just nuts- we all know dogs can't talk!

Edited by Adam

For some reason, I was under the impression that the tear gas/pepper gas/smoke/whatever (I've heard different reports) was home-brewed.

Ya IDK we'll have to wait for more info. I have no idea about tear gas...but when I heard he gassed the place up like in a movie....I hope he didn't just go buy a couple canisters of tear gas from some ammo store. That seems ... over the top nonsensical I think the most gun supporters would agree.

Edited by TheNewBills

No, it wouldn't have. When discussing criminal acts it's important to remember that we are talking about criminals and a sliding scale of the criminality of their acts. A criminal who is willing to commit mass murder will not be detered by making ownership of his guns a criminal act as that act is far less heinous. All gun control serves to do is disarm otherwise law abiding citizens, making them more vulnerable to armed criminals. Like it or not, you can't uninvent the gun.

The case for legal guns is to arm law abiding citizens for personal defense huh. So how come no one yesterday did that? Should movie goers be packing heat and putting in time at shooting ranges? And what if everyone in the audience was packing and started shooing in the darkened theatre amid all the chaos? Probably more people not less would have died. The idea of turning everyone into a mini-sharp shooting rambo self defense machine wih legal guns is absurd. If it weren't why do so many innocents get shot dead every year? Making private gun ownership illegal would drastically reduce the number of guns out there - legal and illegal - by making enforcement a lot simpler. Right now there are just so many guns it's impractical for law officials to check them all. Making them illegal would mean any time they spot one on someone or anywhere inside or outside, they're 99% certain it's illegal and should be confiscated

Ya IDK we'll have to wait for more info. I have no idea about tear gas...but when I heard he gassed the place up like in a movie....I hope he didn't just go buy a couple canisters of tear gas from some ammo store. That seems ... over the top nonsensical I think the most gun supporters would agree.

Just did some digging...yes, it turns out that you can buy "tear gas" in many states, and online. With the caveat that it's probably mace, and not the crowd control/military grade stuff that people think of when they hear "tear gas" (i.e. CN as opposed to CS).

From the reports, I'm disinclined to think it's CS gas (too many witnesses not saying "I couldn't see ****, my eyes were watering so badly.") In the absence of definitive reports I'm more inclined to think it was some sort of smoke device, which is more than irritating enough to most people.

The case for legal guns is to arm law abiding citizens for personal defense huh. So how come no one yesterday did that? Should movie goers be packing heat and putting in time at shooting ranges? And what if everyone in the audience was packing and started shooing in the darkened theatre amid all the chaos? Probably more people not less would have died. The idea of turning everyone into a mini-sharp shooting rambo self defense machine wih legal guns is absurd. If it weren't why do so many innocents get shot dead every year? Making private gun ownership illegal would drastically reduce the number of guns out there - legal and illegal - by making enforcement a lot simpler. Right now there are just so many guns it's impractical for law officials to check them all. Making them illegal would mean any time they spot one on someone or anywhere inside or outside, they're 99% certain it's illegal and should be confiscated

No. The harsh reality is that ultimately crime is unpreventable, and tragedies like this will always happen. Removal of guns from the public only serves to create a larger black market, because the demand is there and the market will not be disuaded. The key difference being that once you've driven an entire market underground, you've lost all ability to police it whatsoever, sunlight being the best disinfectant. Black markets always lead to more crime rather than less, because victims have no legal protections and violent criminals flock there because of the opportunity to make big dollars establishing cartels. You need look no further than our southern border to see the truth of this.

So, you are a libertarian and would like to basically ban all guns? I presume that includes hunting rifles?

Not worth the effort.

You are correct sir,

doubtless, he/she felt that since there was a B in both our names, he would attempt to be clever.........................but of course he/she failed.

My response was due to the fact that I have debated with B-Large many years on the old BMMB board., and that he is only a few miles from the shooting.

but Mr./Mrs. "Smears" didn't think that deeply...................no big deal.

You are correct sir,

doubtless, he/she felt that since there was a B in both our names, he would attempt to be clever.........................but of course he/she failed.

My response was due to the fact that I have debated with B-Large many years on the old BMMB board., and that he is only a few miles from the shooting.

but Mr./Mrs. "Smears" didn't think that deeply...................no big deal.

Stop being so gender neutral you gay orgy participant. :)