Who Do You Think Will Win The Presidential Election?

Unless he did something illegal (which would be revealed by other means) I don't give a crap what he did with his taxes. Obama is hoping to make an issue out of him using off shore accounts or tax loopholes to pay lower tax rates than middle income wage earners. So what? I bet close to 100% of people in his income category did on advice of accountants and financial advisors. I wouldnt want someone so financially iiresponsible to have paid millions extra every year in taxes. But BO will use it to reinforce the case MR will pursue a regressive tax code. Its a good campaign tactic in this environment.

Entitlements for the rich?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ buftex, the Top 1% of wage earners paid 38% of individual income income taxes. The focus on tax rates is maligned. They may have lower rates because at higher income levels you have more options. If some of those options are abusive than by all means eliminate them. don't hold it against successful people for exercising their legal rights . But again that's my view which I'm trying to avoid in this thread. Its obviously a good tactic by the BO camp which so far MR has managed poorly. Just another reason I see BO getting a 2nd term.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

@ buftex, the Top 1% of wage earners paid 38% of individual income income taxes. The focus on tax rates is maligned. They may have lower rates because at higher income levels you have more options. If some of those options are abusive than by all means eliminate them. don't hold it against successful people for exercising their legal rights . But again that's my view which I'm trying to avoid in this thread. Its obviously a good tactic by the BO camp which so far MR has managed poorly. Just another reason I see BO getting a 2nd term.

That may all be true... but if Romney has nothing to hide, why hide it? Sometimes the cover-up is worse than the "crime". If Romney really isn't trying to hide anything, he should just release his tax documents (as has been the standard) explain them (as I am sure there will be questions)...and move on...relasing them in drips and drabs is only making it worse for him. And the longer this is an issue for him, the closer the election gets, and the more it affects perception of him...

That may all be true... but if Romney has nothing to hide, why hide it? Sometimes the cover-up is worse than the "crime". If Romney really isn't trying to hide anything, he should just release his tax documents (as has been the standard) explain them (as I am sure there will be questions)...and move on...relasing them in drips and drabs is only making it worse for him. And the longer this is an issue for him, the closer the election gets, and the more it affects perception of him...

Way to tow your party line.

Awaiting the "well he has to show his college transcripts". :rolleyes:

@ buftex Sure seems that way. I guess they reckon being evasive and leave em guessing is better off in this environment than showing you were a super high earner that used the available alternatives to lower your tax liability. Idk really know since I haven't seen the returns. Maybe there's something in that's egregious and embarrassing. I just don't know what if it was all legal. Or maybe he's taking a philosophical standpoint it shouldn't matter how a private individual paid his taxes. But like you I can see its hurting him, whatever it is thats going on, but would it be worse if he acquiesed? Is this just damage minimization or poor campaigning? I'm leaning on the latter.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

@ buftex Sure seems that way. I guess they reckon being evasive and leave em guessing is better off in this environment than showing you were a super high earner that used the available alternatives to lower your tax liability. Idk really know since I haven't seen the returns. Maybe there's something in that's egregious and embarrassing. I just don't know what if it was all legal. Or maybe he's taking a philosophical standpoint it shouldn't matter how a private individual paid his taxes. But like you I can see its hurting him, whatever it is thats going on

Why would it appear on his tax returns?

That is some funny ****...

I'm not trying to be funny.

I have some friends on facebook (for example) who are reasonable people and yet they post the exact same garbage the talking heads on MSNBC discuss (most of my friends are Democrats so I don't see much from the other side).

All you're doing is parroting it as well and joe (who I usually think is an idiot) is actually being reasonable in his assessment.

Maybe you should stick to talking about the Sopranos instead?

I'm not trying to be funny.

I have some friends on facebook (for example) who are reasonable people and yet they post the exact same garbage the talking heads on MSNBC discuss (most of my friends are Democrats so I don't see much from the other side).

All you're doing is parroting it as well and joe (who I usually think is an idiot) is actually being reasonable in his assessment.

Maybe you should stick to talking about the Sopranos instead?

Thanks for your recommendations. We are only all supposed to agree with the poltical slant of the PPP, I got it...

btw- "friends" on facebook aren't really friends.

Edited by Buftex

That is some funny ****...

It is pretty revealing. The people calling for Mitt's tax returns didn't give a !@#$ about Obama's transcripts, birth certificate, land deals, or much of anything he didn't voluntarily disclose. In fact they were rolling their eyes at anyone so much as suggesting nefarious dealings in Obama's past - and at the time Obama was a fairly unknown entity. Now these same ass holes pretend they have a legitimate concern with Romney's tax returns? Really? They're just desperately looking for something they can use to play the class warfare thing.

Basically, anyone publicly making an issue of this is either campaigning for Obama or suffers from mild retardation. And anyone whose voting decision turns on this issue should probably do the world a favor and get sterilized.

Thanks for your recommendations. We are only all supposed to agree with the poltical slant of the PPP, I got it... maybe you should stick to being an !@#$?

btw- "friends" on facebook aren't really friends.

I never said that you !@#$ing idiot, I said that the level of discourse is !@#$ing retarded which is why I made the "college transcripts"* comment or did that fly over your head?

*I also find that equally retarded.

Edited by meazza

I never said that you !@#$ing idiot, I said that the level of discourse is !@#$ing retarded which is why I made the "college transcripts"* comment or did that fly over your head?

*I also find that equally retarded.

Presidential candidates have been releasing their tax records for decades. Romney is insisting that everything they would reveal is above board. There seems to be some question about that. All I am saying... if Obama was refusing to divulge his tax records, the right would be up in arms as well.

If Romney wants to make an issue of Obamas college transcripts, why not? Voters can decide for themselves how relevant that is, or how desperate that will look. Myabe they should look at Obama's transcripts. I know we have seen his tax returns. Equating the tax return issue, and college transcripts is one of those false equivalancy things...or "retarded" as you seem to prefer.

What I find humourous about these threads (you call them discourse, you give them too much credit) is that you will all jump all over Obama for "disgracing the office" (or whatever you are calling it), but then revert to the same tactics that you accuse the left of. You are really not interested in discourse, so much as confirmation that you are right.

Edited by Buftex

That may all be true... but if Romney has nothing to hide, why hide it?

I'm not sure why Obama just doesn't call the IRS and have them released. I mean, it's not like Romney was responsible for his success.

He didn't do that. Someone else did.

It is pretty revealing. The people calling for Mitt's tax returns didn't give a !@#$ about Obama's transcripts, birth certificate, land deals, or much of anything he didn't voluntarily disclose. In fact they were rolling their eyes at anyone so much as suggesting nefarious dealings in Obama's past - and at the time Obama was a fairly unknown entity. Now these same ass holes pretend they have a legitimate concern with Romney's tax returns? Really? They're just desperately looking for something they can use to play the class warfare thing.

Basically, anyone publicly making an issue of this is either campaigning for Obama or suffers from mild retardation. And anyone whose voting decision turns on this issue should probably do the world a favor and get sterilized.

Rob... that is the game of poltics, isn't it? Obama has hardly gotten off scott-free by the right for his past. If this election is about the economy, and taxes, as the right keeps insisting it is, why wouldn't Romney's tax returns be relevant?

Edited by Buftex

Presidential candidates have been releasing their tax records for decades. Romney is insisting that everything they would reveal is above board. There seems to be some question about that. All I am saying... if Obama was refusing to divulge his tax records, the right would be up in arms as well.

And the people who make that issue on the right would also be labeled idiots by me

If Romney wants to make an issue of Obamas college transcripts, why not? Voters can decide for themselves how relevant that is, or how desperate that will look. Myabe they should look at Obama's transcripts. I know we have seen his tax returns.

Because it has zero to do with being president of the United States and it's !@#$ing retarded.

What I find humourous about these threads (you call them discourse, you give them too much credit) is that you will all jump all over Obama for "disgracing the office" (or whatever you are calling it), but then revert to the same tactics that you accuse the left of. You are really not interested in discourse, so much as cinfirmation that you are right.

I will? Or maybe you were referring to B-man, Doc, Dante and the rest of the right wing drones?

So what you're effectively saying is you are here to counter the right wing drones by being a left wing drone?

If Romney wants to make an issue of Obamas college transcripts, why not? Voters can decide for themselves how relevant that is, or how desperate that will look. Myabe they should look at Obama's transcripts. I know we have seen his tax returns.

What I find humourous about these threads (you call them discourse, you give them too much credit) is that you will all jump all over Obama for "disgracing the office" (or whatever you are calling it), but then revert to the same tactics that you accuse the left of. You are really not interested in discourse, so much as cinfirmation that you are right.

And you will quote a stupid John Stewart stating that Romney has only been running for office for two years. Did you see the size of Romney's 2010 tax return? Three inches thick. His taxes are no doubt very complicated. This whole "issue" is just the Obama campaign throwing up a canard. If Romney doesn't release a bunch of years they'll say he has something to hide. If he were to release a bunch of years, they'll make ridiculous charges over items in the tax returns that are complicated and hard to explain to the general populace. This is all about keeping Romney engaged in anything but the economy. You know, that economy that Obama owns.

Rob... that is the game of poltics, isn't it? Obama has hardly gotten off scott-free by the right for his past. If this election is about the economy, and taxes, as the right keeps insisting it is, why wouldn't Romney's tax returns be relevant?

So releasing Romney's taxes will fix the economy and reform the tax code? Will it lower unemployment, make people invest in the country, stabilize housing and help people earn more money?

This Romney tax thing is the antidote for EVERYTHING!

Yes, you guys sound THAT ridiculous. Right around the same time that people with money buried in Swiss bank accounts and companies that outsource are complaining that Mitt Romney kept money in Swiss bank accounts and companies that outsource.

On the other hand, you guys are VERY good at Mitt-picking every little thing so people ignore the utter incompetency of Obama's reign.