Buffalo Bills Regionalization

Trader

This thread has got me riled. The Buffalo Bills could OWN upstate and Western New York if they just started playing good again. Anyone who was around in the late 80's and early 90's knows that.

I've got nothing against the Canadians. They have clean cities, good Beer, and hot women. But let's not get carried away with this regionalization crap. The Bills are an American Franchise in a uniquely American sport.

It's not our fault that you canucks play a crappy, boring, bastardized version of a game we perfected.

By all means, enjoy our team, -but keep your hands off our stuff! The backlash may be more than you can handle.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has got me riled. The Buffalo Bills could OWN upstate and Western New York if they just started playing good again. Anyone who was around in the late 80's and early 90's knows that.

I've got nothing against the Canadians. They have clean cities, good Beer, and hot women. But let's not get carried away with this regionalization crap. The Bills are an American Franchise in a uniquely American sport.

It's not our fault that you canucks play a crappy, boring, bastardized version of a game we perfected.

By all means, enjoy our team, -but keep your hands off our stuff! The backlash may be more than you can handle.

unfortunately Western Ny has become the rust belt version of Appalaccia. The area lacks the only commodity that is valued in the NFL-- money and large businesses the kind that pay exorbitant amounts for luxury boxes.

After shamefully re-reading my previous post, I realized the perfect name if and when they move to Niagara Falls...

The Niagara Energy Bills

Perfect! Everybody can relate!

Wow.

How were you supposed to know? There was no reference to Buffalo Bill Cody in all since '68-'70, which was the time that I really started to know football and became a fan.

It's not like Guffalo's Dad's great paintings were a fixture anymore at that time. There was never a picture of anything like him.

I highly doubt that the two other "New York" teams draw many fans away from Buffalo.

I live in the Utica area. Three hours to Buffalo, five hours to NYC. MANY more Giants and Jets fans than Bills fans in this area. Of course, being in the Bills broadcast blackout zone doesn't help (our CBS on cable comes from Syracuse, which supposedly can be received over the air close enough to Buffalo to cause them to be blacked out).

I can't see any chance in hell the name ever gets changed. Besides the 50+ years of history, becoming some ridiculous new named team would make us a laughing stock in the league. I doubt people from Canada, Rochester, Niagara Falls or wherever care at all whether the name "incorporates" them somehow. Lots of teams play in suburbs. San Francisco isn't going to become the Santa Clara 49ers when their new stadium is built. The Ottawa Senators aren't the Kanata-Gatineau Senators. The Detroit Pistons aren't the Auburn Hills-Windsor Pistons.

I can't see any chance in hell the name ever gets changed. Besides the 50+ years of history, becoming some ridiculous new named team would make us a laughing stock in the league. I doubt people from Canada, Rochester, Niagara Falls or wherever care at all whether the name "incorporates" them somehow. Lots of teams play in suburbs. San Francisco isn't going to become the Santa Clara 49ers when their new stadium is built. The Ottawa Senators aren't the Kanata-Gatineau Senators. The Detroit Pistons aren't the Auburn Hills-Windsor Pistons.

Does anyone really have a problem with, "The Niagara Frontier Buffalo Bills"? Is that so different than the New England Parriots

Does anyone really have a problem with, "The Niagara Frontier Buffalo Bills"? Is that so different than the New England Parriots

I would absolutely have a problem with it. What does it really accomplish? Nobody would call them that anyways. It definitely does not roll off the tongue easily and honestly makes your team sound like a two bit operation. Does the shout song change to "Let's go niagara frontier"? Any kind of name change does nothing to help the brand, a lot to hurt it, and would be embarrassing.

I've met people who call themselves New Englanders or said they're from New England.

I've never heard anyone call himself a Niagara Frontiersman or say he was from the Niagara Frontier.

Really?

How about the New England Boston Patriots? Thats basically what you are proposing

Not Really

Patriots retains it's full meaning without the word Boston in it.

Bills looses meaning without the word Buffalo in it.