Directv/Viacom dispute

Well I have been waiting and waiting to make the dreaded call to get a discount. When I woke up and 26 channels were black I said hey what the hell. I talked to a few different people who gave me horrible service and then finally got transferred to customer retention (I tried to get transferred there from the start)

He gave me the NFL Sunday Ticket Max for free, a $20 Bill credit for the next 12 months AND took care of the balance of $122.67 on my account.

If you haven't made the call yet today's the day. Be firm and demanding and don't fall for their apparent pitch of everyone has to go through the negotiations and losing channels. I couldn't be happier right now.

Update ----

I called in this morning because we are 1 week into not having channels. I just asked for customer retention. When the lady answered I said look I am not trying to threaten to cancel, I am not in the mood to play that game this morning. I would like the on demand set up on 2 of my TV's and I don't want to pay for it. She said ok, gave me 2 of them ($120 value). I also said can you discount the College Football pack and I wanted to sign up for HBO. For College Football it works out to me paying $9.99 the 4th month. She credited me $29.99 for 3 months and $20 the 4th month. As for HBO she gave me a few different cost options and then just told me she would give me all of the movie channels and sports package free for 2 months and it would shut off after 2 months so I don't get billed.

Moral of the story: it might be worth a second call with the 2nd call just being honest, nice and asking for more. Just thought I'd help.

Edited by cmjoyce113

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, how long have you had DTV? I've tried calling two or three times, have spoke with customer rentention and have got no where. I first got DTV in mid april, 2 weeks prior to them offereing it for free to new subscribers. The last person I spoke with in customer retention basically told me she can't give me any kind of a deal as I'm a new subscriber so am already getting all of these monthly credits; $29 for being new, $10 AAA discount, $10 for auto bill pay, etc, so no room to give anything else. Their argument does somewhat make sense, and reading through the threads, I did find mostly everyone who got a deal, weren't new and got the deal in the form of a credit.

Well I have been waiting and waiting to make the dreaded call to get a discount. When I woke up and 26 channels were black I said hey what the hell. I talked to a few different people who gave me horrible service and then finally got transferred to customer retention (I tried to get transferred there from the start)

He gave me the NFL Sunday Ticket Max for free, a $20 Bill credit for the next 12 months AND took care of the balance of $122.67 on my account.

If you haven't made the call yet today's the day. Be firm and demanding and don't fall for their apparent pitch of everyone has to go through the negotiations and losing channels. I couldn't be happier right now.

Just curious, how long have you had DTV? I've tried calling two or three times, have spoke with customer rentention and have got no where. I first got DTV in mid april, 2 weeks prior to them offereing it for free to new subscribers. The last person I spoke with in customer retention basically told me she can't give me any kind of a deal as I'm a new subscriber so am already getting all of these monthly credits; $29 for being new, $10 AAA discount, $10 for auto bill pay, etc, so no room to give anything else. Their argument does somewhat make sense, and reading through the threads, I did find mostly everyone who got a deal, weren't new and got the deal in the form of a credit.

I have been with them for 4 years. I have gotten a deal since year 1. That is all besides the point because this Viacom thing and losing channels last night at 11:30 P.M. was enough to get it done easily. You might want to try to have that conversation today versus your typical Sunday Ticket to new customers conversation. It obviously worked prefect for me. I ended up getting about $650 in credits I think. If you need any other advice let me know.

After 7 phone calls 3 hours on the phone canceling 3 times telling off a manager a mild stroke I finally got free nfl Sunday ticket persistence pays off. There original offer was 5 dollars off a month for two months keep fighting

Nut sure that sounds worth it..hope you got the Ticket Max included if you are a Fantasy guy.

Just aheads up , Ticket Max includes the Red Zone Channel, games on your mobile device, and Quick Hits, the 30 minute replay of all the games. That is listed as $100 on the DTV site.

I have been with them for 4 years. I have gotten a deal since year 1. That is all besides the point because this Viacom thing and losing channels last night at 11:30 P.M. was enough to get it done easily. You might want to try to have that conversation today versus your typical Sunday Ticket to new customers conversation. It obviously worked prefect for me. I ended up getting about $650 in credits I think. If you need any other advice let me know.

Almost sounds to good to be true. You must have gotten a give the farm away CSR

Almost sounds to good to be true. You must have gotten a give the farm away CSR

I actually just got some terrible customer service before getting transferred there and took advantage of the hardest day for those reps in dealing with the dropped Viacom channels.

A big TY to you. CMJoyce for tipping us off this was the day. At about 5 PM Wednesday I did the dance and got $30 off per month for one year and free NFL ticket. I did have to commit to another 12 month agreement, however. I have had the Ticket since 1996 continuously, and this is the 1st time I received such a deal. Of course, I did mention that I lost my job last week, which is completely true. That helped make my threat to cancel the entire service much more real. I didn't even have to play hardball. My rep was very kind and helpful.

My monthly bill is now half of what it would normally have been.

Now, I have to find work.

A big thank you to cmjoyce113 and everyone else sharing their information in this thread. I just called and after 57 minutes on the phone, got the following;

For the viacom issues; $10 off per month for the next three months plus 6 mos. free showtime and free HD extra pack.

An additional $10 off for 12 months, plus free Sunday Ticket for one year.

All I had to do was agree to go paperless. I was also offered a free dvr upgrade and some other stuff, but that would have added more fees back in.

THANKS!!

Boo ya. Sunday Ticket Max for free, plus $20 off for 12 months.

The initial person I spoke to offered me like $10 bucks for 3 months, some free movie channels and nothing on the Sunday ticket. I said "No wiggle room?" She said "nope." I held firm and she transferred me to "the people who could do the disconnection." I was on hold for about 20 minutes, so obviously they're playing the waiting game, assuming people will give up and hang up.

The next person was way better with the customer service and negotiation, so after some wrangling, I finally got the better offer.

I love negotiating, and it's part of what I do every day in my job, so I was happy to hold out for the primo hook-up. But I can definitely see how many people would not want to go through the whole process. It's definitely designed to make you want to cave.