Inheritance Tax- Holy Schnikes!

So we are looking at a 55% tax rate on inheritance/estate on anyting more than 1 Million if nothing is done? I think the current plan exempts up to 5 Million.....

Holy ****, where does the Government get the notion that taking a family members hard earned money that has already been taxed, taxing it again and screwing the heirs is "Fair"??? Why is there any tax on inheritances at all??

Here is a question, I don't know answer. If my family owned a farm worth 10 Millions dollars and my parents died in car crash, to take position of that farm, would I have to oay the 55% on the value of the land?

!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we are looking at a 55% tax rate on inheritance/estate on anyting more than 1 Million if nothing is done? I think the current plan exempts up to 5 Million.....

Holy ****, where does the Government get the notion that taking a family members hard earned money that has already been taxed, taxing it again and screwing the heirs is "Fair"??? Why is there any tax on inheritances at all??

Here is a question, I don't know answer. If my family owned a farm worth 10 Millions dollars and my parents died in car crash, to take position of that farm, would I have to oay the 55% on the value of the land?

!

right now the exclusion is 5.12 million with 35% rate over that, in 2013 the exclusion goes back to 1.0 million and 55% over that.

Welcome to the plight of investors who receive dividend income. You don't support raising the capital gains tax, do you?

!

That's one of the problems with Ralph passing the Bills on.

Yes, 55% on all assets inhertited over the exemption, assuming they have no comprehensive estate plan in place to mitigate to tax.

That's one of the problems with Ralph passing the Bills on.

Its funny you mentioned that, I had that same thought this afternoon...

Welcome to the plight of investors who receive dividend income. You don't support raising the capital gains tax, do you?

no- i don't really support any increases in taxes until the government proves it can reform programs and spend within what is "needs", not "wants"

my only aside to that is Healthcare Reform- but that is for selfish reasons and justfiend ones at that...

!

If the farm is worth $10mil and that is the only asset owned by your parents you would owe nothing. The $5 mill exlusion is each. So if your parents do in fact own a farm worth $10mil I suggest you either:

a. Cut the brake lines on their car sometime between now and 12/31 or

b. Get a monster insurance policy on them to pay the taxes. The estate taxes are due 9 months after death in cash. Life insurance is a great tool to provide the liquidity to the heirs to pay the tax. Just make sure mom and dad don't own the policy, get a trust to own it.

If the farm is worth $10mil and that is the only asset owned by your parents you would owe nothing. The $5 mill exlusion is each. So if your parents do in fact own a farm worth $10mil I suggest you either:

b. Get a monster insurance policy on them to pay the taxes. The estate taxes are due 9 months after death in cash. Life insurance is a great tool to provide the liquidity to the heirs to pay the tax. Just make sure mom and dad don't own the policy, get a trust to own it.

Thanks for typing that

I wish I could type more. Family farms have a lot of tools to reduce value. Land trust agreements are HUGE.

I had friend type this for me.

If he does own a farm please pm me I can direct you to important info and resources.

Edited by jboyst62

This... except for the brake line thing...

But Chef, isn't insurance also a part of the inheritance? Or is that "only" capital gains soon to be about 45%???

But Chef, isn't insurance also a part of the inheritance? Or is that "only" capital gains soon to be about 45%???

Lump sum insurance payouts are tax free. If the insurance goes into a trust or some kind of annuity, any interest is taxable

There's actually some pretty back and forth and interesting literature on estate/inheritance tax and it's place in society generally ... the bottom line though is estate planning can do wonders and anyone with that millions at the time of their death has probably done themselves right. I'll say this though ... as a somewhat left of center guy ... 1M at death isn't that much and $250K yearly income while a lot isn't all the money in the world ... bleh

Edited by TheNewBills

You use an irrevocable life insurance trust. The owners of the assets you're trying to protect are the insureds and a trust owns the policies. The insureds gift the premiums to family members and send out letters (called crummy letters) telling them a gift has been made in their name. Family members ignore the letters and after a specific amount of time those gifts can be used to pay the premiums and there is no incidence of ownership. Parents die, death benefit is paid to the kids tax free and 100% outside the estate. Pretty nifty plan. The challenge....mom and dad need to be insurable.

You use an irrevocable life insurance trust. The owners of the assets you're trying to protect are the insureds and a trust owns the policies. The insureds gift the premiums to family members and send out letters (called crummy letters) telling them a gift has been made in their name. Family members ignore the letters and after a specific amount of time those gifts can be used to pay the premiums and there is no incidence of ownership. Parents die, death benefit is paid to the kids tax free and 100% outside the estate. Pretty nifty plan. The challenge....mom and dad need to be insurable.

Two points:

1) You can make an irrevocable LI trust revocable, through specific contractual wording, and if this is the route you decide to go, make sure you talk with your estate planning attourney, and that they are aware of this option. If they aren't get a new estate planning attourney.

2) Make sure those recieveing the crummy letters are tied to a benefit of the estate plan, and that they are made aware that using those gift reciepts for anything other than the premiums will remove them from the will. I've seen this go bad before.

Truth be told there are a lot of free rider do-nothing trust fund babies who are totally undeserving. I have no problem imposing an 100% tax on them unless they can demonstrate theyre making a positive contribution to society in some way. Like having served in the military. Byconsuming and not producing they're every bit the drag on the rest of us the welfare people they're always busting on

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Truth be told there are a lot of free rider do-nothing trust fund babies who are totally undeserving. I have no problem imposing an 100% tax on them unless they can demonstrate theyre making a positive contribution to society in some way. Like having served in the military. Byconsuming and not producing they're every bit the drag on the rest of us the welfare people they're always busting on

I hate freedom too.

And on the other side a whole bunch of elderly people get totally free health care even if they own a million dollar home.

Wrong. If you have a job you're paying into medicare just like social security your whole life. It isn't free.

Personal Responsibility!!! (Unless you are born to the right family)

Are trust fund babies the ward of the state, or just parasites living off their ancestors' wealth? Why do you have a problem with private property?