Any interest in Josh Gordon in Supplemental Draft

Florio, in his conversation with Tim Graham indicated that the Bills had an interest in Gordon and reiterates that belief in a later blog post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/12/supplemental-draft-lottery-may-have-forced-clevelands-han/

"The Bills, despite holding the ninth pick in the April draft, secured the first pick in each round of the supplemental draft. The Browns finished at No. 2 on the pecking order.

And so, if the Bills were planning to use a third-round pick on Gordon, the Browns necessarily had to use a second-round pick in order to get to Gordon first.

It’s unknown whether any of the 30 teams having priority after the Browns were willing to devote a second-round pick to grabbing Gordon. From the Browns’ perspective, all that mattered is whether the Bills would have claimed Gordon at the top of round three.

The Bills were interested in Gordon, and the Bills tried to sign former Saints receiver Robert Meachem in free agency. So it likely was prudent for the Browns to fear that the Bills would snatch Gordon, once the process made it to a third round."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago the speculation was that the Bills were trading up for Tebow. Buddy said no and he was telling the truth. They wanted Demarius Thomas. BeyBey was a Chan favorite. If they think he was a possible first round talent, I would not be surprised if Gordon was a Bill tomorrow.

He has only been working out for three weeks. He can definitely improve on his 40 time with a little conditioning. He really is big and fast.

Er. If a chap wants to make it in the Big Show, why has he only been working out for 3 weeks?

• 4 months later...

Hindsight is 20/20, but it looks to me like Gordon turned out to be worth a 2nd round pick. His stats are a bit inflated because he is the #1 option on the Browns and the play from behind a lot -- but it looks like Gordon will probably catch for close to 1000 yards and 6 or 7 TDs. He has 42 receptions on 78 targets (54%) so not the greatest catch percentage but Brandon Weeden doesn't strike me as all that accurate so I'm not sure if we can fault him for a low catch percentage. Gordon's catch percentage is similar to the rest of browns WR and higher than Stevie Johnsons (61/117 = 52%).

Consensus on in the topic seemed to be that the bills should consider using a 4th or 5th round pick on him, some indicated that they wouldn't bother wasting a pick on him at all all.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it looks to me like Gordon turned out to be worth a 2nd round pick. His stats are a bit inflated because he is the #1 option on the Browns and the play from behind a lot -- but it looks like Gordon will probably catch for close to 1000 yards and 6 or 7 TDs. He has 42 receptions on 78 targets (54%) so not the greatest catch percentage but Brandon Weeden doesn't strike me as all that accurate so I'm not sure if we can fault him for a low catch percentage. Gordon's catch percentage is similar to the rest of browns WR and higher than Stevie Johnsons (61/117 = 52%).

Consensus on in the topic seemed to be that the bills should consider using a 4th or 5th round pick on him, some indicated that they wouldn't bother wasting a pick on him at all all.

However doesn't this mean that the Bills would have missed out on Cordy Glenn?

If so, I'm glad we didn't burn a 2nd rounder on Gordon.

No, they had already picked Glenn by the time the supplemental draft came around. They would have forfeited their 2nd round pick next year.

Looks like he was worth the 2nd the Browns used on him.

Edited by cantankerous

one would think we missed out on Gordon, however Gordon's numbers would be cut in more than 1/2 if he played here.

most of his catches come on bombs, we don't have a bomb thrower. gordon would just be another player on the shhhhhhhh list.

i like him but weeden can throw the deep ball

We would not of missed out on Cordy Glenn - Rather we lose our 2nd round draft pick in 2013. Its really all hypothetical but i guess the question is would you trade a 2nd round pick for Josh Gordon. Sometimes the 2nd rounders are great e.g. Cordy Glenn, Janoris Jenkins othertimes their Brian Quick or Torrell Troupe.

No, they had already picked Glenn by the time the supplemental draft came around. They would have forfeited their 2nd round pick next year.

Looks like he was worth the 2nd the Browns used on him.

Thanks.

We would not of missed out on Cordy Glenn - Rather we lose our 2nd round draft pick in 2013. Its really all hypothetical but i guess the question is would you trade a 2nd round pick for Josh Gordon. Sometimes the 2nd rounders are great e.g. Cordy Glenn, Janoris Jenkins othertimes their Brian Quick or Torrell Troupe.

I guess there are a few questions to contemplate then:

1) Is Gordon worth a 2nd rounder (your original point)?

2) Would Bills fans at this moment, prefer Gordon to having their 2nd rounder in 2013?

3) Would Bills fans prefer Gordon to whomever the Bills end up drafting in 2013 (in hindsight after the draft)?

I guess it's still early on but Gordon apparently looks like a player.

Thanks.

I guess there are a few questions to contemplate then:

1) Is Gordon worth a 2nd rounder (your original point)?

2) Would Bills fans at this moment, prefer Gordon to having their 2nd rounder in 2013?

3) Would Bills fans prefer Gordon to whomever the Bills end up drafting in 2013 (in hindsight after the draft)?

I guess it's still early on but Gordon apparently looks like a player.

add to this list does Gordon help make enough plays that the Bills are in the playoffs..or at least with meaningful games this time of the year

Or not waste a draft pick at all for Danario Alexander....

Yup. He was there for the taking, but Nix & Chan preferred Ruvell Martin and Brad Smith. It amazes me how Nix has been allowed to squander Ralph's $$ on third and fourth QBs (TJ and Smith), and signing bonuses for draft picks that were cut (Carder, Potter, Asper, etc.), yet is not held accountable for failing to find a serviceable number 2 receiver - and they had a cheap one in the door and let him leave.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Or not waste a draft pick at all for Danario Alexander....

True. Many Rams fans disagreed with his being cut loose. He had a hammy in camp and Fisher wanted to send a message about toughness in preseason practices ala Eagles and Steeler.

If he stays healthy that was a huge miss by the FO. Demario has said that he had a great workout and based on the Bills reactions he was sure he was going to be signed. I wonder who at OBD put the kibosh on it.

Yup. He was there for the taking, but Nix & Chan preferred Ruvell Martin and Brad Smith. It amazes me how Nix has been allowed to squander Ralph's $$ on third and fourth QBs (TJ and Smith), and signing bonuses for draft picks that were cut (Carder, Potter, Asper, etc.), yet is not held accountable for failing to find a serviceable number 2 receiver - and they had a cheap one in the door and let him leave.

I'm baffled how anyone with enough smarts to read and write still chalks smith up as a qb on this roster

The 3 signing bonuses you listed combine to what is probably about a weeks pay at nfl minimum

D Alexander and his history of knee injuries is far from a gimme and might work out much better on a natural grass field like SD

I'm not thrilled by this season, don't get me wrong, but I think your points are not near the indictments that you think they are.

True. Many Rams fans disagreed with his being cut loose. He had a hammy in camp and Fisher wanted to send a message about toughness in preseason practices ala Eagles and Steeler.

If he stays healthy that was a huge miss by the FO. Demario has said that he had a great workout and based on the Bills reactions he was sure he was going to be signed. I wonder who at OBD put the kibosh on it.

He was passed over by everyone until late October. Lets not act like he's a total gimme. As a low risk high reward guy I would've liked the move but I'm not going to kill them on one free agent that everyone was passing on.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm baffled how anyone with enough smarts to read and write still chalks smith up as a qb on this roster

The 3 signing bonuses you listed combine to what is probably about a weeks pay at nfl minimum

D Alexander and his history of knee injuries is far from a gimme and might work out much better on a natural grass field like SD

I'm not thrilled by this season, don't get me wrong, but I think your points are not near the indictments that you think they are.

He was passed over by everyone until late October. Lets not act like he's a total game. As a low risk high reward guy I would've liked the move but I'm not going to kill them on one free agent that everyone was passing on.

Wasn't proposing to kill anyone either, just wouldn't mind knowing what the thinking was, because ithe decision could well have been a mistake. Oh and lots of good players get passed over, and then people regret it.

Wasn't proposing to kill anyone either, just wouldn't mind knowing what the thinking was, because ithe decision could well have been a mistake. Oh and lots of good players get passed over, and then people regret it.

Yup - I wasn't trying to be overly harsh on you. It happens to every team all the time.

Yeah, and don't forget, especially the Bills.

I'm sure there are people watching the lions or bucs upset they let us get Moore, Dallas wouldn't mind chandler, we stole some nice players on our line that their former teams wouldn't mind having back I'm sure.... Think people are upset they didn't draft Stevie? I'm sure there are. It's all over the league.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm sure there are people watching the lions or bucs upset they let us get Moore, Dallas wouldn't mind chandler, we stole some nice players on our line that their former teams wouldn't mind having back I'm sure.... Think people are upset they didn't draft Stevie? I'm sure there are. It's all over the league.

Oh I was just thinking of all the great players we consistently passed on in favour of lesser talents on in all but one of the last dozen or so drafts. A draft record like that is actually not all over the league. But yeah a few teams have been as bad I guess. The Rams come to mind.