Stadium Lease being Hammered out

Yeah..Me too. I'd hate to be the politician that would ever let the Bills leave. He'd have a snowball's chance in hell of being re-elected and probably worse!

I doubt this. A lot of people would be annoyed for a short while but that would be about it.

I figure that only the hardest of the hardcore Bills fans would let that affect their vote. So figuring that season ticket holders represent the hardcore fans, that is about 40,000 - 50,000 voters. A significant amount of season ticket holders are outside the Buffalo area (Canada, Rochester, and Buffalo transplants). But even if every season ticket holder lived in the politicians district, was an eligible voter, and was pissed off enough to not vote for that politician, we are still only talking about 50,000 votes. It would give the politician a black eye for sure, but hardly guarantee non-reelection.

However the "probably worse" could happen. All it takes is one psychotic !@#$ with a gun. Just ask Gabrielle Giffords.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills left the city would take it's place with Toledo and Scranton. The Bills keep us big time.

The team is making reasonable requests, so of course we are going to be hard asses just to show how tough we are. That always works out well.

PTR

The team is making reasonable requests, so of course we are going to be hard asses just to show how tough we are. That always works out well.

Poloncarz may be a politician, but he's also a lawyer. He knows how to negotiate. If the team contribution wasn't in the bag after the last round of talks, he knows better than to come off as a hard@ss to the public. When the team kicks in a couple dozen million, Poloncarz want it to look like he had to twist their arm to do it, but in reality Brandon knew darn well he wasn't going to get the renovations 100% covered by the government going into this.

How about corrupt politicians?

Yeah, the Union requirements drive up costs, but when I spoke of the cost of doing business in New York I was talking more about the corrupt state, county and local political officials. And of

course our old buddies in organized crime.

Edited by purple haze

If the Bills left the city would take it's place with Toledo and Scranton. The Bills keep us big time.

PTR

Really? To me major league franchises are generally associated with "big time" cities. GB and Buffalo being exceptions.

I think a city being big time depends far more on it's economy, size, and quality of life than a sports franchise.

The Bills do increase the quality of life for a relatively small percentage of people, but makes Buffalo "big time"?

PTR

What are their "reasonable requests"?

What are their "reasonable requests"?

Asking the County and State to chip in for a couple hundred mil in improvements is more reasonable than demanding a completely new stadium paid for all by tax money.

Besides, what does a Patriot* jock sniffer like you care?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Asking the County and State to chip in for a couple hundred mil in improvements is more reasonable than demanding a completely new stadium paid for all by tax money.

Besides, what does a Patriot* jock sniffer like you care?

PTR

Come on! Is that your best?? Yeah, I guess it is.

Well, Chris Brown, a couple of hundred million is sitting in your boss's mattress. It would be more than reasonable to ask him to kick in that much. He really can't take it with him, you know.

That can't be right. If the state is willing to kick in $300M, then they should start talking about building a new stadium. Heck, Houston built a stadium with a retractable roof for $350M, which is something like $450M in 2012 dollars.

That can't be right? Your a rookie never question my posts.

How does this apply to a potential new stadium after Ralph is replaced? That article a couple weeks ago about Jimbo and his gang of investors claimed that it was possible for the group to get a deal for a new stadium going? How does the lease effect that?

As a PS member I didn't want to question your source, but certainly I would like some more details. Where is this $300M coming from? Did the three men in a room sign off on it so it's a done deal or could some $chmuck from Downstate throw a wrench in the state contribution?

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

Some rookies simply have more skill than some veterans. I'll bump this post when the figures eventually come out and we'll see who's right. If it's $300M, I'll bow to your inside knowledge. If it's not, I'll kindly point that fact out B-)

Some rookies simply have more skill than some veterans. I'll bump this post when the figures eventually come out and we'll see who's right. If it's $300M, I'll bow to your inside knowledge. If it's not, I'll kindly point that fact out B-)

you would be wise not to question The Hammer ......... your ONLY defense is he DID state his source was not Buddy the Wonder Dog. Eric, did Buddy at least Ruff! his

approval of your source???

I doubt this. A lot of people would be annoyed for a short while but that would be about it.

I figure that only the hardest of the hardcore Bills fans would let that affect their vote. So figuring that season ticket holders represent the hardcore fans, that is about 40,000 - 50,000 voters. A significant amount of season ticket holders are outside the Buffalo area (Canada, Rochester, and Buffalo transplants). But even if every season ticket holder lived in the politicians district, was an eligible voter, and was pissed off enough to not vote for that politician, we are still only talking about 50,000 votes. It would give the politician a black eye for sure, but hardly guarantee non-reelection.

However the "probably worse" could happen. All it takes is one psychotic !@#$ with a gun. Just ask Gabrielle Giffords.

I don't. Erie county has a population of around 950,000. Let's say 2/3 are voters. That gives you 627,000. 50,000 is roughly 12.5% of voters. More than enough to sway any election.

As for the nut jobs...Yep.

I don't. Erie county has a population of around 950,000. Let's say 2/3 are voters. That gives you 627,000. 50,000 is roughly 12.5% of voters. More than enough to sway any election.

As for the nut jobs...Yep.

Lets just hope we never find out for sure! :)

Really? To me major league franchises are generally associated with "big time" cities. GB and Buffalo being exceptions.

I think a city being big time depends far more on it's economy, size, and quality of life than a sports franchise.

The Bills do increase the quality of life for a relatively small percentage of people, but makes Buffalo "big time"?

The Bills do make the Buffalo area big time. Go around the country to other cities and the Bills are what they ask about. It just is.....you can debate whether that is good or not but it is the truth. People in Boston and New York have no idea about the Darwin Martin House or the Albright Knox but they do know the Bills.

It provides a major value in terms of quality of life to much more than just a few. That is why the Bills have the highest percentage of people in ANY NFL city watching a game. It is part of the culture and history of this city and even casual sports fans become involved. If it mattered to only a small percentage then why did the Mario Williams chase lead every single news station in town? It was national news and it was about Buffalo! people cared and loved it not just for the Bills but for Buffalo itself. We were/are relevant again and the city and team are talked about on a national level. That makes Buffalo big time. I do not hear on the news about Utica, Scranton, Toledo, Harrisburg, Akron, etc.....you DO hear about Buffalo!

PTR is correct that the Bills add an element of "big time" to our area. As someone who recruits professionals regularly to the area I can attest to that 100%. People like that element even if they are casual fans.

For business I have traveled around the country and around the world and I do not remember one time being asked about the Bills. I live in Rochester though and not Buffalo so that I'm sure has an impact. Wings yes, Niagara Falls yes, but never the Bills. I generally don't hang out in sports bars on the road either though.

I have been recruited by companies in many cities over the course of my career, some big and some small.

And I do not remember a single recruiter (head hunter or company recruiter) mentioning a sports team. Time was spent talking about the job, the company, benefits, compensation etc. But the subject of a sports team did not come up.

Not that I am saying you are wrong. Maybe as a recruiter in the Buffalo area you know of many instances where the Bills were a factor in someone accepting a position. I just cannot even imagine a circumstance where that would be true, unless the position was working for a Bills related industry in some capacity. I mean when considering a life changing thing like relocating is the city having or not having a NFL franchise enter into your decision making process? If it does you are a far different person than I.

Your comment on "highest percentage of people in ANY NFL city watching a game" in intriguing though. Where did you get that information? I googled quickly and came up empty.

Dumb Yahoo Sports article saying Bills to get new stadium

Lazy media at it again. They take Poloncarz' recent statements to mean a new stadium will be built. Yet another example of embarrassingly poor journalism.

Behold the Internet, and the media landscape it has created. Look on its works, ye literate, and despair!