Trent Edwards the Eagle

He's finding his way.

"I'm trying to be as attentive as possible, trying to make eye contact, trying to ask as many questions as I can, trying to talk through things with Mike Vick, Mike Kafka, Nick Foles, and all the coaches," said Edwards. "That's the only way I feel like I can get better is by wanting to be coached."

I thought it was kinda sad. This just sounds so...uncompetitive.

"Compounding the difficulty of that transition for Edwards is the fact that he receives so few team reps during practice. With the offense revolving around Vick, Mike Kafka developing as the No. 2 quarterback and rookie Nick Foles' indoctrination into the NFL, there aren't many chances for Edwards to throw to his new teammates during practice. That's why it's become so expected for Edwards to spend time after practice throwing to receivers. "

Almost sounds as though he's #4 on the depth chart, though Foles may wind up on the PS. I assume the Eagles would want to keep 3 QB they are certain can play, since Vick is almost certain to get hurt at some point.

I thought Trentative seemed like a nice guy, but it was never clear to me that he really had a passion for football, that he relished making a good throw in the face of pressure.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Trentative seemed like a nice guy, but it was never clear to me that he really had a passion for football, that he relished making a good throw in the face of pressure.

Trent and Losman were thrust into starting QB roles on bad to mediocre football teams and had no good coaching. With no OL, they were doomed to fail more so than have a chance to succeed. By the time they went on to other teams, their play and reputation were already scarred.

For example, Jauron decided to run a no-huddle offense, when they had absolutely no personnel to run it. Teams like the Steelers ridiculed our offense and suggested that we huddle a bit to perspire.

Trent had many good throws under pressure..so many good wins in a comeback spot. The teams were just not very good.

Trent and Losman were thrust into starting QB roles on bad to mediocre football teams and had no good coaching. With no OL, they were doomed to fail more so than have a chance to succeed. By the time they went on to other teams, their play and reputation were already scarred.

For example, Jauron decided to run a no-huddle offense, when they had absolutely no personnel to run it. Teams like the Steelers ridiculed our offense and suggested that we huddle a bit to perspire.

Trent had many good throws under pressure..so many good wins in a comeback spot. The teams were just not very good.

wow youre good at listing all the excuses for why trent edwards sucked. it was everyone elses fault. It couldnt have been that he was a gutless brainless coward that no matter what the game situation was, simply waited and dumped the ball to the running back...no matter what.

It doesnt look like youre new so why you would restate the same tired retreaded excuses that all the edwards fans made throughout the years confounds me. How come he couldnt catch on with a new team if he was so good? "scarred" whats that mean? it was buffalos fault he continued to suck after he left?

Trent was a qb but not a "football player" he would stroke his hair in postgame reports while explaining why he lost again,why he couldnt beat a cleveland team that scored a whole 6 points in buffalo. He didnt make "many good throws" he had 2-3 comebacks but had many more losses to teams that scored 10 or less points.

Anyone that defends him hasnt got a clue about football or talent or courage.

Edited by loserlovers

wow youre good at listing all the excuses for why trent edwards sucked. it was everyone elses fault. It couldnt have been that he was a gutless brainless coward that no matter what the game situation was, simply waited and dumped the ball to the running back...no matter what.

It doesnt look like youre new so why you would restate the same tired retreaded excuses that all the edwards fans made throughout the years confounds me. How come he couldnt catch on with a new team if he was so good? "scarred" whats that mean? it was buffalos fault he continued to suck after he left?

Trent was a qb but not a "football player" he would stroke his hair in postgame reports while explaining why he lost again,why he couldnt beat a cleveland team that scored a whole 6 points in buffalo. He didnt make "many good throws" he had 2-3 comebacks but had many more losses to teams that scored 10 or less points.

They're not excuses. Look at Peyton in his early career, Eli, even Brady. None of them started that great. They had much better teams then we did.

Not for nothing, but Losman and Edwards were QB's that could not fit in to what we had. Losman is better then Edwards, in my opinion; able to think on his feet, adapt while Edwards is a more traditional guy. Neither of these guys succeeded because we needed someone who could go back there and play pop gun with the gutter offense we had.

So tell us how you really feel about Trent.

I feel sorry for him, still trying to be something he can never be, an NFL quarterback. It's sad.

He should go back to Cali, sell insurance and play golf. That would make sense at least.

They're not excuses. Look at Peyton in his early career, Eli, even Brady. None of them started that great. They had much better teams then we did.

Not for nothing, but Losman and Edwards were QB's that could not fit in to what we had. Losman is better then Edwards, in my opinion; able to think on his feet, adapt while Edwards is a more traditional guy. Neither of these guys succeeded because we needed someone who could go back there and play pop gun with the gutter offense we had.

Good points

I heard the Trent has been working hard on his passes down the field....someone said he was able to get the ball 6 yards beyond the line of scrimmage at the eagles practice yesterday.

In a preseason game last year with the raiders Trent threw a quick out on third and long. I remember the look of utter disbelief on coach Jacksons face. I had to laugh, but really it was sad.

Good post :thumbsup:

After listening to what Fitz had to say about his QB coaching prior to this off season and the hiring of a new QB coach, and how that previous QB coaching was so lacking in helping him develop in any way shape or form...only morons of Jaurons caliber slam the Bills QB's who were forced to play for Jauron ...that complete offensive tool.

The Bills OC's under the moron Jauron- Steve Fairchild who wasn't that bad, but was only with the bills one year. The men who followed after him in Turk Schonert and AVP had no business being offensive coordinators for any NFL team. Want proof? AVP is still in the NFL as a QB coach. Turk Schonert is no longer employed in the NFL in any capacity, he has been coaching in the UFL as QB coach.

How on earth can anyone expect QB's to develop properly without the proper coaching. This is the main reason why Jauron failed so badly as a head coach

I'm happy for Trent Edwards, if anyone can resurrect his NFL career it will be Andy Reid who is renowned at fixing broken QB's. But what does that tell you about Vince Young?

Edited by Fear the Beard

I just want to add that Trent didn't always check down or dump it to the backs - he was really good at running out of bounds for a loss or no gain too, even on 4th down. Other than a quick release I never did see why they thought he might be anything other than average at best. I wish we never would have drafted him.

I heard the Trent has been working hard on his passes down the field....someone said he was able to get the ball 6 yards beyond the line of scrimmage at the eagles practice yesterday.

Edwards has an arm. He has never had trouble throwing beautiful nice deep passes in practice.

It's when he takes off the red shirt and the pads go on that there's trouble. In Buffalo, he seemed to have trouble making a pre-snap read and adjusting fast enough, to be able to pass deep with a couple of 250 lb behemoths bearing down on him like he's tasty and they're looking for a snack.

I agree with jboys, if he'd played in a better offensive system with good coaching and a decent OL giving him time, he could possibly have become a serviceable NFL QB. Someone on the level of a Sanchez, perhaps, or a Cutler.

I'm happy for Trent Edwards, if anyone can resurrect his NFL career it will be Andy Reid who is renowned at fixing broken QB's. But what does that tell you about Vince Young?

Interesting points, both of them.

I don't think edwards could start for a division 3 college program at this point. he wouldn't even do well as a high school QB.

Don't understand the fascination with the guy. He is shell shocked. He has a soft arm. he cant lead a receiver. And he throws a 4 yd safety valve

on 4th and 20 with the game on the line. Go away Trent. And good luck.

Edwards has an arm. He has never had trouble throwing beautiful nice deep passes in practice.

It's when he takes off the red shirt and the pads go on that there's trouble. In Buffalo, he seemed to have trouble making a pre-snap read and adjusting fast enough, to be able to pass deep with a couple of 250 lb behemoths bearing down on him like he's tasty and they're looking for a snack.

I agree with jboys, if he'd played in a better offensive system with good coaching and a decent OL giving him time, he could possibly have become a serviceable NFL QB. Someone on the level of a Sanchez, perhaps, or a Cutler.

Interesting points, both of them.

> Edwards has an arm.

That would be me. :flirt:

> I agree with jboys, if he'd played in a better offensive system with good coaching

> and a decent OL giving him time, he could possibly have become a serviceable NFL QB.

> Someone on the level of a Sanchez, perhaps, or a Cutler.

Sanchez yes, Cutler no. Both Trent Edwards and Mark Sanchez have averaged 6.5 yards per attempt over the course of their respective careers. This, despite the fact that Sanchez has played behind a significantly better offensive line, and had a better overall supporting cast, than the one Edwards had. Jay Cutler has averaged 7.3 yards per attempt over the course of his career; and is a much better quarterback than either Edwards or Sanchez. To put Cutler's average into perspective, Ryan Fitzpatrick has averaged 6.8 and 6.7 yards per attempt these past two seasons. Fitzpatrick is better than Edwards or Sanchez, but has not (yet?) shown himself to be as good as Cutler.

Go blow yourself. I'm sure you've been knocked unconscious by a safety blitz and hit from behind by a 295lb. DE. Any player that walks on that field has more guts than any of us will ever know.

He didn't lack courage. He lacked the ability to see the field, find the open receiver, anticipate the timing of the opening, place the ball, and get it there fast, all at the same time, and at all the different distances necessary to play QB in the NFL at a high level. And HE knew it. That's why he was "Trentative", and no coaching is gonna change that. There is no shame in that, there are very few people that can do it.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Go blow yourself. I'm sure you've been knocked unconscious by a safety blitz and hit from behind by a 295lb. DE. Any player that walks on that field has more guts than any of us will ever know.

Im sorry misses Edwards, but just because a guy takes some hits doesnt mean hes couragous. I certainly would go on the field and take hits daily for that kind of money. All edwards did was ignore years worths of criticism about dumping off and getting happy feet, and respond by...dumping off and running out of bounds game after game. He would then watch himself in the monitor of post game pressers the whole time fixing his hair, barely looking sideways at reporters while touting the same "its a team sport" excuses. this after dumping off on third and long and fourth and long.

Mentally he was a loser, and physically he wasnt very good, many people say he had a good arm...well he threw all wrist which was great for 5-10 yarders but lost accuracy on big throws. I noticed his "quick release" or wrist style from day 1 and thought, this guy cant throw deep. If you really watch hs thrws over the years, you will see less than 10 solid bullets over the middle, they just didnt hapen.

This and he always rolled out sideways rather than step up in the pocket, like a pop warner QB would do.

I admit juaron and AVP and that whole coachhing staff stunk, but Edwards was the biggest douche in that pile. A total fraud.

Sorry Maam but its the truth.